INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Streaming Music  (Read 2768 times)

nod110

• Recent member
Streaming Music
« on: November 02, 2007, 06:50:20 am »

Hi Folks. I'm a real novice on these things so please excuse my ignorance. I have a PC in my bedroom and a Laptop downstairs. The Laptop is connected to the internet through a wireless hub, while the PC is through an ethernet cable. I have an external drive connected to the PC where I store my music. Is it possible to stream this through to my Laptop? Both have J River Media Centre installed. The only other option is to keep moving the external drive between systems but this a bit of a chore.

Any help greatly appreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Streaming Music
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 07:20:16 am »

You just need to start Library Server on the server machine.  It's under Servers and Services in the tree.

Then start MC on the client machine.  Use File/Library/Search for Library Servers.

nod110

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 10:39:05 am »

Worked a treat JimH - many thanks! Can I ask another question - does this cause any security risks and do I need to switch off the Library Server when I have finished listening?

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 12:13:09 pm »

Security is a hard question to answer without knowing a lot more about your setup. If your server is available to the outside world (you are not behind NAT), or if you are concerned, I'd suggest using a password on Library Server. No, you don't need to switch it off when you are done.

j

nod110

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 01:31:26 pm »

Thanks John i'll use a password.

I'm really impressed with the information given on this forum. Thanks for all your help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up