INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amazon MP3 store for Media Center  (Read 5626 times)

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
Amazon MP3 store for Media Center
« on: November 10, 2007, 11:14:30 am »

Now that Media Jukebox is released, will you be adding the Amazon MP3 store to Media Center?

In addition to being a way to subsidize the free version, I also see this as a value add for people using the full paid for version.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Amazon MP3 store for Media Center
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 06:33:04 pm »

The Amazon store was added to an MC12 build today.  It should be posted to this board in the next few days.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 12:23:43 am »

I have to say... I just bought my first Amazon MP3 album with MC, and it worked extremely slickly once I got the Downloader Installed.

Regarding the Downloader, I wonder... There's no way you guys can ask the user to install that component and do it automatically the first time you choose Amazon's MP3 store from the Tree (activating it properly in IE somehow)?  I got bit by the "I use FireFox by default" issue and the only reason I knew a little bit about how to fix it was briefly reading the stuff from the MJ beta threads...  It was certainly not clear what I needed to do to make it work with MC!

That said... Once the Downloader was installed and properly configured to (a) not launch stupid WiMP and (b) put the files where I really want them to go, I am very pleased.  256kbps, easy to use, DRM-free, and cheap.  And the selection even seems pretty good at first blush!  The album I bought is certainly not top 40 material, and isn't even on a major label.

I might actually have to buy some music again.

Darn!   ;)  ;D
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 12:57:26 am »

Oooh... Now I want it even more integrated.  I'm sure you're working on it, but...

1.  If it could look and feel more like another "view" of MC (including letting you use the search bar and sort items), and less like a "window to a web page" then it'd be suuuuuper keen.

2.  I'd also like to see better integration with your existing library.  There should be at least an item under the Locate right click menu to search for similar songs on the Amazon store (the Find CD item is okay, but actually doesn't check for MP3 downloads specifically and doesn't work unless you're actually playing a track (it's linked to Playing Now).  I want an easy way to jump to the Services tree item, with relevant selections pre-loaded.  Other methods of integration would also be encouraged, so long as they aren't "in your face" or "buy now flashing neon annoying" oriented.

3. It'd be pretty keen if the downloads could show in the downloads item in the tree under Services (where Podcasts go).  That might be impossible with the Amazon Downloader thing though.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 01:59:51 am »

Can you just buy tracks without installing the downloader?  If so, what are the advantages/disadvantages to using the "Downloader" from within MC?  I read about the downloader on the Amazon page, but it only mentions iTunes and WMP, so I'm not clear how things might differ when using MC.  It looks like the only "real" advantage is that you can download "albums," so if you're only downloading individual tracks, does it really help?

On a related note, where does MC put files that you download from this site?  The "Audible" tree item in MC gives you a right click option for file location, but the "Amazon" item does not.  Is this configurable somewhere?

Thanks,

Larry

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 07:16:54 am »

You don't need Amazon's downloader unless you purchase albums.  We can't do albums yet.  Single tracks work fine.

I believe the files go in your default music directory. 

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 09:21:15 am »

I bought an album through MC last night, but yes, it did then require the "Amazon Downloader".  This is a very simple little app that downloads the files for you (it's UI sits in the Task Tray, but it doesn't open until requested by a browser).  It seemed like they just use the downloader because it was an easy way for them to "package" multiple files into one easy download.  When you buy a "full album" it downloads this AMX file (I think that was the extension without looking) which launches the Downloader, which then actually downloads the tracks for you.  It basically just runs in the Notification Area and pops-up tooltips when it starts and is done.

You can configure where the files go in the Amazon Downloader's Preferences.  By default they go to: <User My Music Directory>\Amazon Downloads\.  It also auto-opens WiMP by default, but that is easily disabled in the Preferences as well.  I simply changed the download location to an "incoming" folder I already had which was monitored by MC's Auto-Import and as soon as the download was finished I switched to my Audio --> Recent Imports view scheme and there they were, all tagged and with cover art and everything.

I also purchased one single track, and that worked right through MC.  Essentially though, you're just using MC as a web browser, so it could be a lot slicker and more integrated.  It would be much better if MC could handle the album downloading itself through the regular download UI.  Who knows if Amazon will let this happen or not!?!

As I said though.... I'm sure they're working on it!

Griff

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 10:25:47 am »

Hi glynor

I also purchased one single track

Was that with or without the downloader ?

Thanks

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 10:30:49 am »

Single track was without the downloader, but that was before I installed the downloader.  Let me see what happens now (off to spend another $0.89).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 12:41:34 pm »

Actually... I realize now that when I did the single track before it WAS using the Amazon Downloader (and was not through MC).  I just tried it now and it didn't go so well.  At all.  :(

I browsed to the song I wanted to buy and clicked Buy Now.  The MC Downloader AW "lit up" and appeared to very quickly download two items (though only one thing showed up in the new downloads list if I clicked details).  However...  There were a bunch of issues:

1. I was logged into my Amazon account, but it didn't ask for any kind of confirmation or anything.  It just immediately tried to download the song (and failed as you will see), and made the "buy MP3" button disappear.  Refreshing the page brings the button back.  I don't know if it is relevant, but I do NOT have 1-Click activated on my Amazon account (though that option isn't supposed to apply to downloadable purchases because the Amazon Downloader works just fine).

2. As mentioned above, the download didn't work.  I got one new file downloaded, which had no tags at all except for [Name] which was: ref=dm_dp_trk17_buy.  I'll assume this was what Amazon was trying to send to the browser to kick off the download, but it didn't work.  As I said, MC appeared to try to download two things, but only one new thing showed up in my Downloads list, and only one thing got imported.

3. This file was 101.1kb and will not play.  There was, of course, also no tag data attached.

4. It was filed at: <My Documents>\My Music\Unknown Artist\Unknown Album\Unknown Artist - ref=dm_dp_trk17_buy.mp3 despite the fact that my Music file location is set to: M:\music\HOWEVER, Drive M happens to be not attached currently (it's an external drive)... Could this be why it messed up?  If so, it really needs to check that setting and warn you or recover gracefully.  I didn't mean to have it set to drive M, but it was.  I'm going to fix that and try again.

5. I'm hoping the purchases (I did it twice) didn't go through.  If so, I'll fight with Amazon to get my money back.  I've waited a while and gotten no email confirmations or anything like I did with my album purchase last night.

EDIT:  Actually, I just checked, and Amazon shows an "Open Digital Order" for the song (only one copy though) with a status of "Pending".  I'm going to see if I can cancel it and try again.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 12:53:01 pm »

Well, the Pending Order did go through as completed a minute or two later.  I couldn't find any way to re-download the track, even using my regular web browser to try to do it.  I got the confirmation email, and it too had no download link.  Luckily, it doesn't appear that the duplicate order did anything (so far anyway).

I emailed Amazon Customer Service and I'm sure they'll fix it.  Their help (while a bit difficult to find) was clear on what to do if a download got messed up.

CONTINUED:

So...... All in all, not great so far.   :-[

The full album download worked great through the downloader, but it was obnoxious to get it set up properly (unless you use IE as your default browser, and the location it downloaded to was still wrong).  The single song download was a disaster.  That could be my missing drive, and I might suck it up and pay another buck to try again, but even if so that is clearly not acceptable.

BTW: I had my eyes wide open and knew it was beta and likely to fail.  I'm not angry or anything.  Just excited and trying to help!

DarkPenguin

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 01:35:48 pm »

The downloader is a pain.  Once setup tho, I have it just chucking things right into my music library and let auto import find em.

I have a pretty simple Artist\Album\song.mp3 directory structure so that works.  (Even if the file name isn't what I'd like.)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 01:37:11 pm »

Any idea what went wrong with my single-song download?  That was just bad!!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 01:57:07 pm »

Just tried again with a single-song download, after fixing the file location in Options and it failed again in much the same way.  This time, I think I was able to get it by opening my browser immediately and going and finding it and downloading it through Amazon Downloader.

The single-song downloads inside MC are not working at all for me right now, and it is charging me and not giving me the file.  Not good at all!

Only other note I figure I should mention... I do have the "always confirm" option selected.  So, in a regular browser when I click the Buy MP3 button, it navigates to a new page where I need to confirm.  I want to keep this option.  Don't know if that's what's messing it up.

This time, the file was similar but 2KB.  It again didn't play, had no tag data, and had a weird name.  This time, MC only seemed to try to download one file.  Again, it ignored my option and put it in my My Music folder (with Unknown Artist\Unknown Album\ subfolders).

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2007, 03:23:52 pm »

The single-song downloads inside MC are not working at all for me right now, and it is charging me and not giving me the file.  Not good at all!
Well.... I just tested with 12.0.372 and it is working as advertised.  I don't have the Amazon downloader installed.  Try uninstalling it. 

Or maybe it's an Amazon problem.  Amazon has an account page that lists your purchases.  Check there.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2007, 03:28:06 pm »

I did check them.  There is no way to re-download from those pages (it just lists your purchases).  The ones I did through MC DID show up there, but I don't have the first of the files.  The second one I do, but only because I went back in through an already-open copy of IE and re-did the download from the browser, which launched Amazon Downloader.  I had to email them to get access to the first song (they haven't written back yet).  Definitely worked the way I described.

I haven't tried it with the Amazon Downloader uninstalled because: (a) I was only buying a single track for testing purposes, I'll normally probably buy full albums and more importantly (b) because I'm not going to do it again until you guys straighten something out.  I already put $2 down the hole.   ;D

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2007, 03:36:07 pm »

glynor,
We'll send you the $2 if you don't get it back.

Try uninstalling their downloader and buy another single.

It could be anything.  I'm not sure we have a problem.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2007, 03:38:11 pm »

To reproduce my situation you need to:

(1) Have Amazon Downloader Installed.  Single track downloads need to work with it installed, obviously, or MC's interface is useless.

(2) I don't know if this is relevant, but I have the "confirmation option" turned on.  When using it from my browser (rather than MC) and I click buy, it doesn't immediately download the file but takes me to a confirmation page where I have to say "yes".

(3) I also don't know if this is relevant (as having it off is not supposed to apply to digital downloads), but I have 1-Click Shopping turned off as is described here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=468628

(4) Firefox is my default browser so I had to jump through hoops to get Amazon Downloader installed.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2007, 03:38:46 pm »

glynor,
We'll send you the $2 if you don't get it back.

Oh.  I'll get my tracks.  Amazon is good and I'm not worried.

I'll give it another go with the downloader uninstalled.  Hold on (I have to go do something so it'll be 30 minutes or so).

DarkPenguin

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2007, 03:43:39 pm »

I can try this tonite, too.  I think I have the same setup as glynor.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2007, 04:39:37 pm »

Try uninstalling their downloader and buy another single.

Tried it and that "fixed" it!  That's certainly not a real fix or a long-term solution, because I want to be able to buy full albums (as I said, that's how I'll usually buy them).  However, for now it appears (based on what I found today -- this has not been confirmed by anyone else)...

• Downloading single tracks with MC works fine if you don't install the Amazon Downloader.  You have to actively say "no" to this though because it tries to "talk you into it" anyway (and the "I'd rather not" link isn't immediately obvious).

• Downloading full albums with MC works fine if you do install the Amazon Downloader.  If IE is not your default browser, make sure to activate the Downloader in IE before using the store in MC.  Do this by visiting the Amazon MP3 Store's Downloader Install Page here using IE.  Then click on the link that says: If you have already installed the Amazon MP3 Downloader, click here to enable it for use with this browser.

• Downloading Single Tracks with MC DOES NOT WORK if you have installed the Amazon Downloader installed!   The purchase does get registered, and you do get charged, but the download fails (and you get the weird file I mentioned above in this thread).  If this happens, you have to email Amazon customer service and tell them your download failed.  I just got a response from them and they did re-enable the download for me (but it took a good 6 hours for the email to come).  I haven't yet re-downloaded it, but I'm sure it'll work out.

About the only other thing I'd mention is that all of my testing has been done on a system with IE7.  I'll assume that, since it appears to be the Downloader that is causing the problem, it would apply to IE6 as well.  However, for now, I suggest you avoid the Amazon Downloader (or buy only full albums through MC).

EDIT: I should also mention that uninstalling the Downloader from IE with Firefox as your default browser was equally unintuitive.  I first had to uninstall it via Add/Remove Programs.  When done, this launched Firefox (to remove the "add-on" I assume).  Then, IE still "thought" the downloader was installed, so I also had to clear my Temporary Internet Files and Cookies to get it to "reset".

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2007, 04:54:17 pm »

I should also mention... In the Customer Service email I received from Amazon they said:

Please note that we do not support 3rd party software being used while downloading mp3s.

I don't know if that was part of their stock reply (a warning about download managers) or if it was included because I explained in my inquiry that I was helping to beta test the Amazon MP3 Store integration in JRiver Media Center.  Either way... I thought you guys had some sort of "deal"?  Or is that a more general "click-through" type deal and they won't specifically help or support using it inside the application?  If so, that's really too bad...

Not Invented Here Syndrome.   ::)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2007, 04:56:37 pm »

I can see you're in a voluble mood today (as usual) and thanks for all the details, but we're not certain yet where there is or isn't a problem.

At one point, we had Amazon so twisted up it wouldn't download from a browser (no MC involved).  They aren't working perfectly yet (expected).  If you uninstall, we think it still thinks the installer is there.  Maybe a cookie doesn't get removed.

Keep the feedback coming.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2007, 05:03:27 pm »

I can see you're in a voluble mood today

Who me??   ;D  ;)

Oh, and good English-major word.  Of course, I suppose it does run in the family, eh?

Griff

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2007, 11:09:01 am »

Hi glynor

Much Thanks

Ive seen the same.

Could you do me one more favor ?

Im prob. doing something dumb here and cant see it, but

The single file download that worked, for you (after you unloaded the downloader)

Does the filename path, still contain unknown album/artist and ect. ?

Thanks

PS
Sorry you loss some tunes.

Ive got dups here.

Ya want some  ?

;D

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2007, 11:46:47 am »

Haha!  I did actually eventually get the one tune from Amazon that I had "missed".  Only took one email and a little patience.

The single download that actually worked after I uninstalled the Amazon Downloader had full tag data embedded, including Cover Art and everything else.  All I had to do was tweak the Genre to match my "filing system" and they were perfect.  I didn't check to see if they had lyrics included (probably not) but all the usual suspects were properly filled out when MC imported them.

MC imported the file perfectly and seamlessly and all was good.

I should also mention that the same was true for the full album download that I did through MC using the Amazon Downloader.  It also worked perfectly, once I had the proper download location set up.  MC's Auto-Import quickly grabbed the files and they had full tag data included, which MC saw and used.

All in all, if JRiver can fix it so that it either works perfectly with the Amazon Downloader, or so that MC somehow emulates the Downloader so that you don't NEED to install it even to get full albums, I will be extremely happy and will probably use the service for almost all of my new music purchases (unless they don't carry something).  Not needing the Amazon Downloader and just using MC for even full albums would be, of course, absolutely ideal.

The requests I noted above (regarding better integration) would be slick, and make finding music to buy with the service easier, but I'd still use it even if it kept working like a glorified web browser.

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2008, 01:31:08 pm »

This thread is from November... have there been any major changes in this area since then? I am about to buy my first full album from Amazon MP3 store. Do I still need to install the Amazon Downloader? I understand there is some trick when Firefox is your default browser... where can I learn the details of that? Any other caveats I should know about?
Sue

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2008, 01:35:04 pm »

You need to have the Amazon downloader installed.  Then configure it to store music where you want it.  Turn off integration with WMP and iTunes.  Turn on MC's auto import for the directory where you're downloading the music.

We'd like to improve this, but we can't quite get Amazon's attention to do it.

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2008, 09:12:17 pm »

Got it... thanks! Pretty slick.
Sue

itssoeasy

• Recent member
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2008, 07:19:06 am »

Hello all,
i wanted to bring your attention to this thread http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=45399.msg311144#msg311144

wonder if you have any suggestions

Thanks a lot

Pages: [1]   Go Up