INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 12.0.370  (Read 3119 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Media Center 12.0.370
« on: November 12, 2007, 08:37:51 am »

This is the latest version of MC 12.0.  Any MC12.0 license will work with it.  Please post bugs here.  Please start a new thread for anything requiring discussion.  Non-bug posts will be deleted or moved.

This latest build (usually safe) of MC12.0 is here:
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/MC12/MediaCenter120370.exe
READ THIS before downloading.

12.0.370 (11/09/07)

1. Fixed: Import could crash if it was run non-silently and it was removing files from the library.
2. Optimized: Podcasting engine better utilizes threads. (all podcast updating happens in worker threads -- previously is was split between worker threads and the main thread)
3. NEW: Full support for "KWorld PlusTV HD Hybrid Stick" ATSC/NTSC TV device.
4. NEW: Added the ability to enable (or disable) bookmarking in MC on any type of file (this ability is also passed on to iPods) via the new field 'Use Bookmarking'.
5. Fixed: On occasions TV video would not be displayed after startup, until the window was resized.

12.0.369 (11/08/07)

1. NEW: Before doing a library restore, a backup is created in the auto library backup folder.
2. Fixed: When loading a corrupt library restore, MC will nicely fall back to the previous library (instead of forcing a load of a working library).
3. Fixed: When failing to load a library, Media Center could fail to cleanup the locked state, so it would open the library read-only.
4. Changed: Added back the ability to restore from a Media Jukebox 8 library.
5. Fixed: Doing some commands like a library restore while Media Center was first loading could cause issues. (now a wait for program to finish loading is displayed)
6. Changed: Added more logging to import finishing.
7. Fixed: Possible crash with updated import reporting.

12.0.368 (11/08/07)

1. Fixed: Dropping files on a playlist in the tree could add the files at a pseudo-random location instead of to the end.
2. Changed: Tooltips have a drop-shadow.
3. Changed: Some tuning to how image-preview tooltips are sized for different desktop resolutions.
4. Fixed: Some image transitions could crash. (only affects last few builds)
5. Changed: Flac input and encoder plugins now using flac 1.2.1 libraries.
6. Changed: Tagging errors will no longer display in a pop-up for automatically downloaded podcasts.
7. Fixed: String handling bug.

12.0.368 (11/08/07)

1. Fixed: Dropping files on a playlist in the tree could add the files at a pseudo-random location instead of to the end.
2. Changed: Tooltips have a drop-shadow.
3. Changed: Some tuning to how image-preview tooltips are sized for different desktop resolutions.
4. Fixed: Some image transitions could crash. (only affects last few builds)
5. Changed: Flac input and encoder plugins now using flac 1.2.1 libraries.
6. Changed: Tagging errors will no longer display in a pop-up for automatically downloaded podcasts.
7. Fixed: String handling bug.

12.0.367 (11/07/07)

1. NEW: Tooltips in image view show large preview of the image.
2. Fixed: Audible could show debugging popups.

12.0.366 (11/07/07)

1. Fixed: Improved handling of internet image slideshows.
2. Changed: When closing display view with images playing, image playback is stopped.
3. Fixed: When switching zones on initial program load, sometimes Playing Now would not update properly.
4. Optimized: Switching zones is much faster. (please report if any areas of the program don't update nicely on a zone switch)
5. Fixed: Playing audio + images from multiple zones at once could cause issues.
6. Changed: When playing audio + images, switching to a file view without images (i.e. "Audio") will stop image playback.
7. Changed: To play audio with images as a visualization, start playback of all files at once. (like from a playlist)
8. Changed: With images playing, starting audio playback will replace the playing images. (play images second to play both at once)
9. Fixed: With "Jump to Playing Now" set, right-click > Play could cause a crash from certain lists.
10. Changed: "Grouping" is now included in view presets. (must resave a preset to get grouping included)
11. Changed: "Album (by date)" image grouping puts newest albums at the top.
12. Changed: View sorting menu has both "Date (oldest first)" and "Date (newest first)" options.
13. Fixed: Sorting view menu would not always check the current sorting.
14. Changed: View Layout > Default would not revert sorting to the defaults for views that saved sorting in the view scheme or smartlist rule.
15. Changed: Some tweaks in Closed Captioning support in HDTV.
16. Fixed: Transferring Audible files to devices was broken in build 12.0.365.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Media Center 12.0.370
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 08:52:29 am »

More on bookmarking here.

SwellGuy

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 09:56:04 am »

The problem users are experiencing with MC incorrectly using bookmarking is caused by the following. The old method for setting bookmarks was done during the original playback of the file and it always set a bookmark regardless of the file type. The decision to honor the bookmark was made the next time the file was played by the input plugin. This method resulted in bookmarks loitering in every file that was ever played.

The new bookmarking approach removes the decision to honor a bookmark from the input plugin and instead MC determines to both, save and honor a bookmark for a file during the original playback. So that if a bookmark exists, the next time the file is played it will honor the bookmark.

The problem (bug) is that there are existing bookmarks in files that, with the new approach, would no longer have them saved and because they exist, they are used.

To fix the problem you can clear the bookmark tags, but beware, I just stumbled on a bug in 370 while editing tags of multiple files. We will have a general fix for this in the next build. (Note: This fix will cause you to lose some valid bookmarks.)

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 10:04:34 am »

1)- Is it normal/intentional that there is a clone of the current Library labeled as DEFAULT?
It appears that there is always a Default Library with an active "carrot" in front of the name as well as one before the loaded library. Deleting the "Default" is not permitted even when it's properly named clone is loaded.
Something new?
Something I've missed noticing in the past?
Or a bug?

2)- Flac files are not saving cover art inside files as per option settings. Instead the Image File field merely shows the path to the cover art folder.
. . . the game is rigged

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 10:59:41 am »

I just wanted to report that over this weekend with build 370, I repeatedly saw an issue (I'm guessing possibly related to the new bookmarking support) where songs playing back would END prematurely.  In other words, the song would start as expected at the beginning, but then at some random point during playback, it would suddenly and unexpectedly advance to the next track in the list or radio would pick a new song.  It was almost like girder had gone nuts and was randomly sending the "next track" command, but this was my laptop and it doesn't even have a remote (well, it has the Apple one, but I wasn't using it and it wasn't even "on site") and Girder isn't installed.

Unfortunately, I'm not really clear on any details, as this happened primarily on Friday night/early Saturday morning while we were having fun and I was a few bottles of wine deep at the time.  But, since it happened at least 10-15 times throughout the night, I wanted to report it in case others are seeing it as well.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

gappie

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 11:13:00 am »

I just wanted to report that over this weekend with build 370, I repeatedly saw an issue (I'm guessing possibly related to the new bookmarking support) where songs playing back would END prematurely.  In other words, the song would start as expected at the beginning, but then at some random point during playback, it would suddenly and unexpectedly advance to the next track in the list or radio would pick a new song.  It was almost like girder had gone nuts and was randomly sending the "next track" command, but this was my laptop and it doesn't even have a remote (well, it has the Apple one, but I wasn't using it and it wasn't even "on site") and Girder isn't installed.

Unfortunately, I'm not really clear on any details, as this happened primarily on Friday night/early Saturday morning while we were having fun and I was a few bottles of wine deep at the time.  But, since it happened at least 10-15 times throughout the night, I wanted to report it in case others are seeing it as well.
i did see the same last weekend. yeah friday night. i DID blame girder/remote. but could not reproduce it.
and thinking about it. it hasnt happened the last days. but i cleared my bookmark list somewhere this weekend.  ?

edit: i remember more clearly now ;). we were watching some images at the same time. i said something that people should not push the next button after the song jump to the next song, altough that normally should give the next image. but anyway, the remote was laying on the table, unused.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 11:22:29 am »

I haven't bothered to clear my errant bookmarks yet.  I didn't see the issue for the remainder of the weekend, but I was only using MC for music for a short while on Sunday and I wasn't listening all that closely.  Perhaps today I'll have more time to investigate, but I'm not sure.

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 07:50:59 am »

since about version .332 i've noticed a general instability. i frequently get the message that says some piece of MC is corrupt and to reinstall the latest version. well, i've done that with each release but i seem to still get this message. fwiw, i never got this message prior to about build 332 or 335.

stevenf

• World Citizen
  • It works for me....
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 08:56:26 am »

The problem i reported in the previously released build is still happening. It concerns the smartlist editor.
When i create a smartlist of the 25 most played songs, and then in the modify results section, i put...

Sort by
Sequence
limit number to

But id i attempt to modify the look of the list by adding or removing a field, what i get is this in the modify results.

Sequence
limit number to
Sort by

this completely ruins the list by changing all the songs in the list.

I hope this makes sense

Also, the smartlist editor worked perfectly in build 12.03.38

Steven F

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 12:07:12 pm »

I'm still having a sorting problem.  With a search list under my main view scheme in Video, as soon as I select a search item in theater view, the items are not sorted correctly.  How can I help locate this problem?  It is very confusing and I really think is a bug.

TreeFrog77

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 04:10:42 pm »

I just wanted to report that over this weekend with build 370, I repeatedly saw an issue (I'm guessing possibly related to the new bookmarking support) where songs playing back would END prematurely.  In other words, the song would start as expected at the beginning, but then at some random point during playback, it would suddenly and unexpectedly advance to the next track in the list or radio would pick a new song.

I just upgraded to .370 today and have already had similar issues.  In the course of listening to about 20 songs from a playlist, MC decided to abruptly advance tracks before the song was over or make it to the end of the song, just to start the next song at some point in the middle (like two minutes in).  This also happened sometimes when I manually skipped to the next track.  I haven't even had time to see what this "bookmarking" feature is about (nor use it), so I have no idea if that is somehow related.

I've reverted back to the previous version for now (.358), which had been working fine since it was released.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 06:01:40 pm »

From above:

TreeFrog77

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 07:26:06 pm »

From above:

Sorry for missing this, but when I see a new version posted, I just start reading the changes from the bottom up and, if I decide it is worth it, go over to my server, download, and go.

In the future, if there is a change that is this drastic, perhaps you could at least bold the important notice, since I know I'm not the only one that missed it.  As fast as you guys roll out fixes and changes, some of us have just developed a habit (or a ritual, if you will) of checking out the new versions.   ;D

Thanks.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 11:05:14 pm »

least bold the important notice

I was 2 pixels away from clicking Post on a message saying just that but decided not to post.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 11:51:07 pm »

I'm not actually entirely sure what you meant by this Jim, but...

From above:

I just wanted to point out that I posted my original report for a very good reason, even though I was well aware of the issues described in the warning.  There is a difference between a song obeying a bookmark (which would make playback START at some point other than the beginning of the song) and what I, and apparently many, many others were experiencing where playback would suddenly and abruptly END prematurely.  The bookmarks tell MC where to START playback, not where to end it.

Not saying the two issues aren't related... They very likely are (which is why I noted that in my OP) but there was enough of a difference to warrant a mention.  I'm also glad to see that many others were having the issue as well, since it confirms that it wasn't just my system.

EDIT: It also confirms that it wasn't just the wine.

And, trust me... It could have been just the wine, so I was trying to figure it out (along with why my left arm hurts and what the hell happened to my backpack).

MrHaugen

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2007, 10:22:15 am »

4. NEW: Added the ability to enable (or disable) bookmarking in MC on any type of file (this ability is also passed on to iPods) via the new field 'Use Bookmarking'.

This is great news Jim. Can't wait to get home and try it out. Thanks
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

pietro

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Ride a bike, what else?
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2007, 11:27:17 am »

From above:
Jim, I had recently crashes, with the Auto Import running not silently, but also during playback. So I decided to install the new version. Hence, just "over" installing did not solve the problem. I then have de-installed and run a fresh install. Now I was able to run the import non-silently.. until I decided to minimize MC.. again it crashed. I then let it run completely in foreground and everything was imported. After this so far no more crash (fingers crossed).

Thanks
-Pietro
Pages: [1]   Go Up