INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Radio Question  (Read 9545 times)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Radio Question
« on: November 19, 2007, 04:33:14 pm »

I know you don't want to go into too much detail about the top secret neural net algorithm you've got going on with Radio Mode, but just so I know where to focus my efforts, what tag(s) are weighted most heavily when MC makes a decision about what to play? Will I be better served diversifying my Genres (rather than 5 or 6 I've standardized on now)? Or will I see better results by concentrating on rating my music?

Because right now, MC seems kinda lazy about picking what to play. I queued up a Metallica song (off the S&M album) and after it was done playing MC picked out Megadeth (Cryptic Writings), then Marilyn Manson (Remix and Repent), then went back to Metallica (S&M again), then back to Megadeth (Cryptic Writings), then back to Marilyn Manson (Remix & Repent), rinse and repeat.

So what is MC fixating on here? Is it a love for bands that start with the letter M? The Metal genre? I've got a total of 31 albums by these three bands. Why is MC focusing just on these three? Is it genre? These three bands are the only ones that have Metal assigned to their genre, but again, with 31 albums to choose from, why just these three? If MC just needs more diverse data to work with, I can do that, but where do I focus my efforts? Or is it just a bug?

dcwebman

Re: Radio Mode Question
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 05:28:35 pm »

It would be nice to get an answer on this. I have started rating songs as I never had anything rated, plus I'm planning on making my genres more specific. But it would be even nicer not to have to do this just to make radio more efficient.
Jeff

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 06:38:13 pm »

It's a balancing act between playing similar things and pigeon holing.

If it seems too repetitive, try skipping a few times.  Remember that plays and skips are like votes, so if you don't like what it's doing, you need to tell it.

Radio looks at artist, album, genre, era, rating, and the last played date.  Everything is based on probability so you might also get a more repetitive or more diverse mix based on random chance alone.

If it's consistently doing something silly, let us know and maybe we can tune it some more.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

wombat66

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 07:50:45 pm »

If it's consistently doing something silly, let us know and maybe we can tune it some more.

Thanks.

Mine will cruise along fine but then it will pull in stuff from my Christmas genre and at times stuff from my Halloween genre (sound fx or spoken word stuff).

Please create an option to ignore user specified genres.

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 08:16:52 pm »

It's a _radio_.  It's just playing music for you.

wombat66

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 08:28:20 pm »

It's a _radio_.  It's just playing music for you.

It doesn't always play music. As I said above, it sometimes plays spoken word stuff or sound effects (and seasonal holiday music). Certainly a little more intelligence could be built into it to ignore specified genres. From a programming standpoint this is not a farfetched request.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 09:02:12 pm »

You could use Access Control to filter stuff out of radio playback.  It's easy and flexible.

wombat66

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 09:18:25 pm »

You could use Access Control to filter stuff out of radio playback.  It's easy and flexible.

Perfect! Thanks for a solution. Radio can now be useful for me and will get plenty of use.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 12:23:25 am »

Perfect! Thanks for a solution. Radio can now be useful for me and will get plenty of use.

Not perfect. I'm already using Access Control to filter out stuff. I don't want to have to keep messing around with it just to keep Radio Mode in check.

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 01:10:14 pm »

And in my case Radio plays my Podcasts which I don't want to.
If I use access control, my Podcasts will never be played anymore, not even in normal mode.

So to use Radio, I have to setup Access Control first, play radio.
When finished, I don't have to forget to turn off access control,
may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 02:02:54 pm »

It is possible to play the files under a certain view scheme as radio:

right-click the view scheme (in the tree) > send to > play (optional zone name) > play as radio

You just need to create a view scheme that excludes the unwanted files.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 02:13:24 pm »

right-click the view scheme (in the tree) > send to > play (optional zone name) > play as radio

You just need to create a view scheme that excludes the podcast files.

I'd be interested to see this tested.  I suspect that this uses the contents of the View Scheme as a seed, but does not limit the radio exclusively to those contents (eg Podcasts could still get picked, though it'd probably be less likely).  Perhaps Matt could comment.

On another semi-related note...

I've been using the Radio function extremely heavily for the past few weeks since it was implemented.  My wife loves it, as I've attested to before, and it was also a pretty big hit with some of our other good friends (who have a passing understanding of MC).  However...

They've both asked again and again for an easier way to start the radio up in seeded mode.  Starting it "unseeded" is certainly easy.  However, as it is now, you have to dig down into the Send To menu to start it up in Seeded mode  This is a bit too much for some of my users, particularly because I have three Zones configured and they don't know which one to use intuitively.

I'd really like to see Play As Radio promoted to the top level Right-Click menu just under Play and Add to Playing Now.  As is, I always have to show them, and then it's in the "remembered commands list" (so they just use it there), and then they forget how to drill down to Send To to find it again the next time they want it.  So they ask me again, complain that it is hard to find... Rinse, wash, repeat.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 02:33:54 pm »

You are correct, it doesn't work as I expected.

As a test I created a view scheme that contains only one album and sent the view scheme to play as radio.

It seems that MC plays anything from the library that happens to have the same genre tag (Electronic in this case).

EDIT

Looks like it is not restricted to that. It just picked up a Hard Rock song.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 02:58:13 pm »

You just need to create a view scheme that excludes the unwanted files.

Play as Radio uses the selected files as seeds for picking more similar music.  I often play as radio after picking a single song.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 03:10:26 pm »

I'd really like to see Play As Radio promoted to the top level Right-Click menu just under Play and Add to Playing Now.  As is, I always have to show them, and then it's in the "remembered commands list" (so they just use it there), and then they forget how to drill down to Send To to find it again the next time they want it.  So they ask me again, complain that it is hard to find... Rinse, wash, repeat.

Another, and perhaps better option IMHO, would be to do as was asked in the other threads on this topic and add a Radio Mode button up next to the DSP Studio button.  When MC is in Radio Mode, double clicking on a song would act the same as Send to --> Play --> Play As Radio.  It would play the song immediately, and use it as the new radio seed from there on out.  If you aren't in Radio Mode, then MC would work normally.  Of course, if the user just clicked the Radio Mode button with nothing playing (or did Player --> Radio) the it would start unseeded Radio as it does now.

I still think the icon for the button could be a cool old-style 1940's Radio Antenna looking thing, which either lights up, or adds "bolts" (or both), when enabled.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2007, 03:28:53 pm »

Here are the first 16 tracks from tonight's program. "Air - Moon Safari" was the seed.

The second screenshot is of PN filled with my 1662 Electronic tracks in the most played order.

Looks like the DJ likes to pick up rarities...

Anyway, the selected music is good...  :)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2007, 03:30:42 pm »

That reminds me....  I keep meaning to check out Yello.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2007, 06:23:04 pm »

10. Changed: Radio playback renamed slightly to Player > Play Radio. (no longer in send to menu)
11. NEW: When starting radio playback, a dialog is shown that allows customization of what is eligible for playback.

I assume this was changed somewhat in response to this thread... However, the effect seems to have been to remove the ability to "seed" the Radio.  I attempted to select a file and then choose Player --> Play Radio.  It did NOT play the file I had selected.

Can it be changed so that the song selected at the time you choose Play Radio is used as the Seed, and plays first?

I like the simple rule selection method you provided.  I'm not at all sure if the pop-up dialog is the best way to go, or if an option under Options --> Playback (or Options --> Radio) would be a better plan.  If the pop-up is kept, I'd really prefer a "Don't Show This Again" checkbox (with an accompanying way to force it to show if you need to modify the rule).  Once my exclusion rule is set (it already has been), I don't need to see it again for the vast majority of the time.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2007, 09:58:13 pm »

This is looking real good here.

The seed song option is one I liked, so I hope it comes back.  I agree with glynor that there should be a do not show this dialog option unless ctrl clicked or something.

I am REALLY hoping though that Radio mode has an Always On option so that no matter how I play MC, radio is sitting there in the background waiting to be played whenever playing now ends.  Kind of like Automatic Shuffle.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

gappie

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2007, 03:49:08 am »

nice. i like the new radio. the 'smartlist' gives me the possibility to leave things out, or make sure that it does not get in a loop only choosing songs from three albums. the 'smartlist' seems to be refreshed every song, which is nice.

i agree with glynor though:
I assume this was changed somewhat in response to this thread... However, the effect seems to have been to remove the ability to "seed" the Radio.  I attempted to select a file and then choose Player --> Play Radio.  It did NOT play the file I had selected.

Can it be changed so that the song selected at the time you choose Play Radio is used as the Seed, and plays first?

I like the simple rule selection method you provided.  I'm not at all sure if the pop-up dialog is the best way to go, or if an option under Options --> Playback (or Options --> Radio) would be a better plan.  If the pop-up is kept, I'd really prefer a "Don't Show This Again" checkbox (with an accompanying way to force it to show if you need to modify the rule).  Once my exclusion rule is set (it already has been), I don't need to see it again for the vast majority of the time.

and datdude
I am REALLY hoping though that Radio mode has an Always On option so that no matter how I play MC, radio is sitting there in the background waiting to be played whenever playing now ends.  Kind of like Automatic Shuffle.

and maybe a mcc command to just play radio?

thanks a lot
gab

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2007, 09:59:00 am »

Well, it's a start. But it's effectively broken Radio for Theater View.

I'd really like to see some way to make it accessible from Theater View and some way of making it not ask me everytime what settings to use but still let me change them later if I need to. I'd also like to throw my vote in to see the return of the seed. Then it'd be pretty near perfect to me.

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2007, 02:20:20 pm »

Well, it's a start. But it's effectively broken Radio for Theater View.

I'd really like to see some way to make it accessible from Theater View and some way of making it not ask me everytime what settings to use but still let me change them later if I need to. I'd also like to throw my vote in to see the return of the seed. Then it'd be pretty near perfect to me.

Maybe a toolbar button that gives a dropdown menu to choose from "Play Radio from Library" and "Play Radio from Selected"

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2007, 05:36:49 pm »

No response back and no word on losing the Seeded Radio function?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2007, 05:37:45 pm »

We had a big lunch.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2007, 05:44:50 pm »

Mmmmmmmm.... I love lunch.  Big ones where you get to goof off at work (and sometimes drink beer) are even better.   :)

That's fine.  Enjoy the holiday!

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2007, 05:58:38 am »

Radio MC is top-drawer this morning!
It's been broadcasting almost 2½ hours and I've not had to skip a track in over an hour now.

The new exclusions option has had me tuning in once more, and I'm happy.
Seeded radio would be nice to have back, but if unseeded can suss me out as quick as this every time, I could live without.

The options dialogue was a welcome relief the first time I used it, but having set my exclusions, I'm done, and now I just expect the radio to tune in when I click its' entry under the player menu. It's quite jarring when the options thing pops up and I need to click play a second time. This will get tidied up some way won't it? Either of the two options already suggested would work for me.

While typing this, the playlist hit the 2½ hour mark, it has started playing dupes... co-incidence or duration limitation?

-marko.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2007, 12:22:44 pm »

Since the 380 build "went public" and the holiday is well in our rearview mirrors.... Here I am again.  My favorite use for the Radio function was the "seeded" radio play.  I haven't once used the Radio function since this change was made...

Are we going to get it back???

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2007, 01:36:23 pm »

I did not find that "Radio" worked all that good for me

All my files are tagged, analyzed, stamped, Homogenized, and Formaldehyded (not sure adding a "D" makes this a real word)

I can't see how I went from Benny Goodman to P. Diddy

I think more power needs to be given to the people.

that was A LSD flashback
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2007, 01:40:44 pm »

Maybe Puff Diddy did a cover of one of his songs. :D
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2007, 01:48:43 pm »

I think he would be a bit older then, unless he is using a new skin\body cream.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2007, 01:58:19 pm »

Radio learns what you like if you skip tracks you don't like.

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2007, 02:01:37 pm »

Radio learns what you like if you skip tracks you don't like.

But does radio remember what I've skipped 1 week ago or is it just remembering during 1 play session ?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2007, 02:04:59 pm »

Just one.  It can't assume you'll be in the same mood next time.  The options let you narrow it down though.

lOth

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2007, 02:10:37 pm »

It seems to me that the ability to seed was a good way of having radios instead of one radio. No?

While the new options seem nice, I've stopped using it as well since seeding has disappeared.

Just one.  It can't assume you'll be in the same mood next time.  The options let you narrow it down though.

Well, why not use seeding as a basic indication of the mood we're in?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2007, 03:01:49 pm »

Yeah, the current incarnation of Radio is pretty much useless to me.  The big draw of it for me was to use it from Theater View, and now there's no way to even turn it on from Theater View. Even if I could, having the dialog box popup every time would quickly discourage me from ever using it again.

It was so close before, and all it needed was a set-it-and-forget-it customization option. Mainly just a way of excluding certain types of tracks - I don't think anybody really wanted to tell it what TO play, just what NOT TO play. Other than that, the only complaint I had was that it didn't seem to branch out enough. I would have 13 albums by an artist, and it would keep picking songs off the same album.

So, it seemed to be really close to perfect before, just needed some minor tweaking. Now it needs an overhaul, IMO.

jgreen

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2007, 03:24:42 pm »

I'm sorry, i don't miss it, I prefer unseeded.  I always thought the seeded algorithm was problematic, often getting stuck on artists and/or albums.  Unseeded is simple and effective, and devoid of any of the pinky-finger-lifting that seeded playback smacked of.  And besides, I'm not convinced that seeding really had an effect-if may just have been Matt's little joke on us.

More meaningful to me would be a nice big button:  RADIO. 

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2007, 03:43:48 pm »

I'm sorry, i don't miss it, I prefer unseeded.  I always thought the seeded algorithm was problematic, often getting stuck on artists and/or albums.  Unseeded is simple and effective, and devoid of any of the pinky-finger-lifting that seeded playback smacked of.  And besides, I'm not convinced that seeding really had an effect-if may just have been Matt's little joke on us.

More meaningful to me would be a nice big button:  RADIO. 

That's all well and good, but the seeding option was the only way to get it started in Theater View. And having the option to seed it wasn't preventing anybody from starting it unseeded.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2007, 03:54:09 pm »

Ok I just got done playing with radio

Note my comments were from the versions prior to the added control, and have not played with it since, at least now i can select a Genre, Mood etc...

It seems like it works better now for me

Make You Smile' by '+44'
Fayetteville, NC, USA

lOth

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2007, 06:30:38 pm »

And having the option to seed it wasn't preventing anybody from starting it unseeded.

Yeah, can't we just go back to that and everyone's happy?

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Radio Question
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2007, 06:38:16 pm »

Tab wouldn't be happy.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2007, 06:39:52 pm »

Tab wouldn't be happy.

Well... I'm never too sure if Mr. Green can ever be "really" happy (at least not as happy as the tabs made him).  Alas, I'm not sure that he was a seeded-radio-hater.  Was he?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2007, 06:41:05 pm »

I'm sorry, i don't miss it, I prefer unseeded.  I always thought the seeded algorithm was problematic, often getting stuck on artists and/or albums. 
Q.E.D.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2007, 06:50:44 pm »

Fayetteville, NC, USA

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2007, 08:19:33 pm »

I can see the benefits of the new radio system however, 2 questions...

1) Can the Radio presets be saved? Can I have a 'station' that plays party music, a station that plays easy music, and a classical station. Can I have these saved, and accessible?

2) Seeded radio. Can we please have it back? I agree with glynor as to its general usefulness. It's *really* nice to just say "I feel like listening stuff similar to <this track>". I definitely dont want to lose the new system, however the old seeded syetm allowed for more impromptu/insipred(by the track) use. Sure, it may not have been perfect, but it still seemed to do a pretty darn good job for my collection.

Cheers,
C.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2007, 08:24:02 pm »

2) Seeded radio. Can we please have it back?
Seedy Radio will probably return.

Would it work to build the station off whatever track is currently being played?  Sort of like what Captain Kirk did when they put the Startship Enterprise into Warp Mode?

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2007, 08:48:40 pm »

Would it work to build the station off whatever track is currently being played?  Sort of like what Captain Kirk did when they put the Startship Enterprise into Warp Mode?
Yep. But slower.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2007, 09:19:27 pm »

This would be ideal.

If you turn radio on, it should seed itself with whatever track (or tracks) are currently in Playing Now.  If nothing is playing, it should use the regular Radio Mode.  One last thing...

I really think you should be able to do a Add to Playing Now which would change to a specified new track, but not disable Radio mode, and use the new track as the new seed.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2007, 09:39:00 pm »

That would be fine with me as long as it somehow becomes accessible from Theater View (which naturally means that the "What should Radio play?" dialog box needs some reworking).

gummbah

• World Citizen
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2007, 01:09:35 am »

I also would like to see the seeded radio function back in. I loved that feature!
Even if it did not work that well, it works better than skipping through several songs before MC finally recongises which mood you are in.
It would be better to optimise the seeding protocol instead of removing the whole idea.
Cheers.

rjm

« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2007, 01:26:08 am »

This would be ideal.

If you turn radio on, it should seed itself with whatever track (or tracks) are currently in Playing Now.  If nothing is playing, it should use the regular Radio Mode.  One last thing...

I really think you should be able to do a Add to Playing Now which would change to a specified new track, but not disable Radio mode, and use the new track as the new seed.

perfect
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up