INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 12.0.375  (Read 13162 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Media Center 12.0.375
« on: November 20, 2007, 12:10:32 pm »

This is the latest version of MC 12.0.  Any MC12.0 license will work with it.  Please post bugs here.  Please start a new thread for anything requiring discussion.  Non-bug posts will be deleted or moved.

This latest build (usually safe) of MC12.0 is here:
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/MC12/MediaCenter120375.exe

12.0.375 (11/19/07)

1. Changed: Added back ability to use external cover art without having it copied to the cover art location specified in options.
2. Fixed: With gridlines disabled, lists would still draw the gridlines in non-item areas.
3. Changed: Improved support for Motorola Q smartphones.
4. Changed: Do a better job of identifying extended storage cards of devices.
5. Changed: A few skin elements do a better job of adapting to large fonts.
6. Fixed: Some list control functions would not work properly on W2K.
7. Fixed: When playing images over library server, the rotation would not always be properly respected.
8. Fixed: Input plugins could get in a bad state in some cases. (only applies to build 374)

12.0.374 (11/15/07)

1. Fixed: Podcasts would not properly be included in a deivce sync. (only affects a few builds)
2. Fixed: iPod database upgraded to iTunes 7.5 format.
3. Fixed: Podcasts sync'd with MC to iPods were not listed when viewed in iTunes.
4. Changed: Added warning message when an incompatible iPod database format is detected.
5. Fixed: Cover art could not be extracted from tags in some cases.

12.0.373 (11/14/07)

1. Changed: The MCC's for rotating images no longer require a number of degrees as the parameter.
2. Changed: Pressing play in Theater View with something other than the file list focused will still route the command to the file list.
3. Fixed: Overriding keyboard shortcuts wouldn't always work if the shortcut was in the default resource.xml file.
4. Changed: When overriding a keyboard shortcut, putting no command allows a keyboard shortcut to be disabled.

dgoodrie

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Media Center 12.0.375
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 05:13:25 pm »

I cleared my library and reimported 2387 files.  The Audio pane sort misses albums when the individual track of the artist's album contains multiple artists.  I am short about 30 albums in the Album pane window. :-[  Apparently the sort by artist gets confused when the main album is sorted and tracks have multiple artists so that album in its entirety is omitted.  This bug has been in several of the last releases of version 12.  I don't think it was a bug in version 11.
HP M9200T Core 2 Duo E8400 3 GHz, 3gb, GF 8600 GT 512mb
Dell 3000 Pentium 4 3.0 ghz, 2gb
HP DV9700T Intel T9300 Duo 2 2.5gz, 3gb, GF 8600 GS 512mb

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 05:58:33 pm »

I cleared my library and reimported 2387 files.  The Audio pane sort misses albums when the individual track of the artist's album contains multiple artists.  I am short about 30 albums in the Album pane window. :-[  Apparently the sort by artist gets confused when the main album is sorted and tracks have multiple artists so that album in its entirety is omitted.  This bug has been in several of the last releases of version 12.  I don't think it was a bug in version 11.
I'm not sure this is a bug.  It may be just the result of the particular view.  Can you start a new thread after you've looked more carefully?

edbro

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 07:26:34 am »

Using this latest build I am trying to reload my library onto a newly reset iPod. Initially, MC reported it need to sync 5776 files and it would take 18 hours. 12 hours into the sync, MC crashes and now when I reconnect, it reports that I have 13GB left and it needs to sync 5776 files and it will take 4 hours.  >:( >:(

edbro

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 07:34:16 am »

Okay, I reset my iPod in iTunes. iTunes says I now have 74GB free. I unload iTunes and load MC to start again. MC reports now that I have 45GB free on the newly cleaned iPod (80GB Classic).

Edit: after starting the sync, MC started to correctly report the full available space. Only the initial calcualation was wrong so, no big deal here.

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Media Center 12.0.375 - Vista installation
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 10:02:56 am »

First installation on a virgin Vista resulted in an error that an exe file of MC could not be found. The installation was stuck in the window where you can select the skins.
I tried to install a second time and there was no error any more - clean install.
Now the bad news: I didnt note down the exact error message  :-[ my fault - sorry.

edbro

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 10:54:23 am »

This is not a new issue, but the install is not 100% Vista ready.  At the end, I have always gotten a message box stating that the OS can't tell if the app installed properly with a prompt.
I gave up on Vista and went back to XP. But, I think I remember that this will happen when an installer asks if you want to run the new program and you elect not to. Then, Vista gives that message. Also, I believe that MC does some cleanup items on the next reboot, like maybe reregistering the shell extensions.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 11:09:43 am »

This is not a new issue, but the install is not 100% Vista ready.  At the end, I have always gotten a message box stating that the OS can't tell if the app installed properly with a prompt.
Please report the problem to Microsoft.  They'll put it on their list.

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 11:18:08 am »

1)- While MC is updating tags on a large group of files (50-250 files or so) it will stop playback at (or near) the end of the currently playing track.
I find this odd as I see there are plenty of system resources available, yet MC is not using up much cpu (it fluctuates from single-digit to teens/20's/30% and back).
Also during this period MC does not redraw the GUI when a window on top of MC is closed.
At some point before tag updates are finished MC will redraw, switch to the next track and resume playback. However it will continue the above behavior until the tag updates are completed.

2)- When you manually Import a file that contains cover art inside the tags, MC sometimes will remove the cover art from the file resulting in lost cover art.
As it does not happen all the time I suspect this happens when there is no cover art file in the folder with the audio files during the import.
This occurred most recently with mp3 files, I will watch for this with flac when I can and note if it affects those as well.

edit - the issue of playback halting for several moments as in #1 above also occurs if you are switching views to a folder in the tree while nearing the end of a track.
. . . the game is rigged

eso

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 11:19:10 am »

I just noticed that UPnP playback for Roku clients has been broken in one of the recent builds. Yesterday I upgraded MC on my server (that installation I use only for UPnP) to 375. I don't know the exact previous build there, but I suspect it was 358. Unfortunately I couldn't return to that build because the oldest available beta version is 363 which doesn't work too. Therefore I had to revert to the current release version (329) which works. With the newer builds I can browse the MC server with my two Roku soundbridges as always, but if I try to play a playlist or a file they show an error message.

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 02:06:38 pm »

what error message and do you have the latest firmware in your soundbridges?

Robo983

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 02:15:57 pm »

Hi do not know if this is a bug or not, I copied my media to a new drive. I did a find and replace for the new location. Didn't believe the popup that said it would copy the medai to the new locations on the find and replace. MC made a duplicate copy of media with the "(1)" at the end of the names. Not being familiar with smart list I ran a smart list to remove items with "(1)". I did not remove the file just the entry in the DB. I did a new smart list to find all with filename includes "(1)". Selected the list and deleted the media. Did an exteranal sync to a back up and found not all the files were deleted. I did a new import of the media with the Ignore files previously imported form library unchecked but MC does not find the files with "(1)"  and does not import them.

If I use Windows Explorer and select import from the shell MC says it imports the file but I can not find it in the library.

Bug or user error? I didn't check the wiki but I can not find anyway to reset the list of files that have been previously deleted.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 02:16:27 pm »

Hi eso - please start a different thread for this: I'm not sure it's a bug (I use Roku at home). -- j

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 05:50:25 pm »

1)- While MC is updating tags on a large group of files (50-250 files or so) it will stop playback at (or near) the end of the currently playing track.
I find this odd as I see there are plenty of system resources available, yet MC is not using up much cpu (it fluctuates from single-digit to teens/20's/30% and back).
Also during this period MC does not redraw the GUI when a window on top of MC is closed.
At some point before tag updates are finished MC will redraw, switch to the next track and resume playback. However it will continue the above behavior until the tag updates are completed.
[...]
I can confirm this, but it is not new.

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 11:20:08 pm »

3. Changed: Improved support for Motorola Q smartphones.

Was able to move a Playlist with songs from multiple albums to a Motorola Q9m.  All tracks were sorted into the proper folders and cover art came over as well. :)  (Must select the option to "Save cover art to 'Folder.jpg' file" under Files-Paths.  The speed of the transfer was slower than I'm used to with portable players, but this could be due to the USB port on the phone.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2007, 09:25:51 am »

Please report the problem to Microsoft.  They'll put it on their list.

Two questions:
First: wouldn't this be a developer responsibility?  When my company has issues with MS compatibility, they work directly with MS to resolve - they don't ask the end users to do so.

Second, if this is an end user responsibility, how does one properly report this?  The end user support pages don't seem to have any channel to report compatibility issues, and knowing how big companies work unless it is reported to the right place it will likely go nowhere.

rjm

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2007, 11:30:00 am »

Two questions:
First: wouldn't this be a developer responsibility?  When my company has issues with MS compatibility, they work directly with MS to resolve - they don't ask the end users to do so.

Second, if this is an end user responsibility, how does one properly report this?  The end user support pages don't seem to have any channel to report compatibility issues, and knowing how big companies work unless it is reported to the right place it will likely go nowhere.

My experience has been that if you turn UAC off then Vista behaves as nicely as XP.

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2007, 09:58:52 am »

an oddity: on only one of my machines, MC backups are saved without a filename extension leaving the files unreadable unless the .zip is added to the end of the filename.

On my laptop or my backup machine MC saves the backup file properly, so apparently this is something on that particular machine and not directly an MC issue, but I could use some help in resolving it if anyone has any ideas.
. . . the game is rigged

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2007, 10:09:21 am »

an oddity: on only one of my machines, MC backups are saved without a filename extension leaving the files unreadable unless the .zip is added to the end of the filename.

On my laptop or my backup machine MC saves the backup file properly, so apparently this is something on that particular machine and not directly an MC issue, but I could use some help in resolving it if anyone has any ideas.
Interesting. Have you checked to see if that windows explorer setting that goes along the lines of "hide the extension of known file types" has any bearing on the matter? For some reason, it's the windows default setting. I turn it off and leave it off on any pc I work on, and it's the only thing that springs to mind upon reading about your oddity!

-marko.

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2007, 11:10:14 am »

Thanks Marko, you rock!
That was the cure.   ;)
. . . the game is rigged

ichkriegediekriese

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2007, 02:09:25 pm »

Hi
I have been using MC for quite a while now without any major issues. But today I came upon an, well kinda unsual issue regarding "normal" software.
Whenever I do a rebuild of my library including building of thumbnails the new .375 version produces a BSOD - I know that actually on HW or driver failure can cause BSODs but in this case it is definitly up to MC.
After approx 1200 buildings of thumbnails from "larger"  pictures (from digicams) MC produces an BSOD, as soon as I change back to the official version 239 everything is just fine.
Last rebuild I did was, when I recall it right, with version 36X so I presume the problem has to be from there to the newest version.
best regards
Stephan

PS:
System is Athlon 64 2600mhz
4GB Ram
Vista Ult 64bit

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2007, 04:13:05 pm »

Whenever I do a rebuild of my library including building of thumbnails the new .375 version produces a BSOD - I know that actually on HW or driver failure can cause BSODs but in this case it is definitly up to MC.
A Blue Screen is usually a hardware problem.  Maybe a driver problem with Vista.

ichkriegediekriese

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2007, 04:30:12 am »

@JimH.
I know that :-)! and because of that it took me few hours to rule out any other causes and I finally gave up because every test was fine (gaming, Prime etc).
So well I thought lets get back to what I was doing - rebuilding my MC DB - and tataaa BSOD. I graded down to version 239 everything is fine.
I upgrade again and I get a BSOD - so in this case it is just 100% reproducable and therefore I do not think it is HW related.
greetz

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2007, 08:59:03 am »

When you say rebuilding your library, do you mean importing?

It would really help if you could identify the file that is causing the blue screen. It's a time consuming
process: Split your library (conceptually) in halves, thirds, or whatever is convenient according to
your file structure. Import the pieces until you find which piece causes the bsod. Split that piece into
smaller pieces, continue until you've identified the file that is crashing.

j

rjm

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2007, 12:06:31 pm »

When you say rebuilding your library, do you mean importing?

It would really help if you could identify the file that is causing the blue screen. It's a time consuming
process: Split your library (conceptually) in halves, thirds, or whatever is convenient according to
your file structure. Import the pieces until you find which piece causes the bsod. Split that piece into
smaller pieces, continue until you've identified the file that is crashing.

j

It's highly probable that a crash will be caused by a video file so you may be able to isolate the file more quickly by narrowing John's method to files of type video.

ahbrown41

• World Citizen
  • Music is good
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2007, 07:30:01 pm »

With this release and perhaps the others, it appears that when I try to sync up my smartphone with music the first bunch of music files say they are not on the device (On Sync List) yet they are.  When I try and transfer them an error occurs.  Very strange.  Here is the error I get:
0025131: 6524: Handheld: CWMDMSupport::UploadFile: Start
0025147: 6524: Handheld: CWMDMSupport::UploadFile: Getting storage interface
0025147: 6524: Handheld: CWMDMSupport::UploadFile: Getting storage control
0025147: 6524: Handheld: CWMDMSupport::UploadFile: Creating metadata object
0025163: 6524: Handheld: CWMDMSupport::UploadFile: Updating metadata object
0025163: 6524: Handheld: CWMDMSupport::UploadFile: Updating format code
0025163: 6524: Handheld: CWMDMSupport::SafeInsert: Start
0025163: 6524: Handheld: CWMDMSupport::SafeInsert: Performing Insert3(...) to store item
0025256: 6524: Handheld: CWMDMSupport::SafeInsert: Insert3(...) hr: -2147024816
0025256: 6524: Handheld: CWMDMSupport::SafeInsert: Finish (93 ms)
0025256: 6524: Handheld: CWMDMSupport::UploadFile: Finish (125 ms)
0025256: 6524: Handheld: CWMDMSupport::Upload: Transfer error 0: 01 - Good Morning.mp3 - File exists.
0025256: 6524: Handheld: CWMDMSupport::Upload: Finish (1310 ms)
0025256: 6524: Handheld: CPortableDriveWMDM::ProcessCommand: Finish (1310 ms)
0025256: 6524: Handheld: CHHPluginThread::Thread Message Processing: Finish (1310 ms)
0025303: 5264: Handheld: CHHPluginThread::ProcessCommand: Finish (1357 ms)

Would you like the log?

Thanks!

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2007, 01:48:23 pm »

The "Remove Duplicates" feature no longer works in my playlists.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2007, 01:53:02 pm »

The "Remove Duplicates" feature no longer works in my playlists.

Its still there.  Try searching the board for "remove duplicates".  You'll find plenty of stuff.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2007, 03:25:56 pm »

I know it is still there (you have to right click the playlist), but it doesn't actually remove duplicates.
Pages: [1]   Go Up