INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripped DVD playback  (Read 811 times)

krdavies

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Ripped DVD playback
« on: November 27, 2007, 05:51:11 am »

I've been using DVDFab to rip my dvd collection to an external hard drive. After doing about 50 I moved the drive from my main PC to my media PC but I can't persuade it to play the files. I believe this may be down to file permissions as, if I copy one of the ripped disks to the media PC's hard drive, it plays fine but if I try to play the same film from the external drive, MediaCenter show the "viewing" screen and the message "Waiting" at the top of the window and then just sits there.

Any idea where I might be going wrong?

TIA

Ken

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Ripped DVD playback
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 01:19:11 pm »

I too would guess a Permissions Issue.

Do the two machines have the same user accounts?  If not:

1. Select the parent folder which contains all of the rips (on the external drive) on the Media PC and right click and choose Properties.
2. In the dialog that appears, switch to the Security tab.
3. Hit the Advanced button.
4. Switch to the Owner Tab.
5. Select your user account in the list, and check the Replace owner on Subcontainers and objects box.
6. Click OK.
7. Make sure your user account has Full Control permissions in the Security Tab.
8. Hit Advanced again.
9. On the Permissions tab, check the "Replace permission entries on all child objects" box.
10. Hit OK.  Then hit Yes.
11. Try playing them again.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

krdavies

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 04:10:04 am »

I've had a bit of an odd development. Media Center has stopped playing DVD's in the DVD drive! It has exactly the same issue as playing from the external HD but is still playing ripped disks  from the internal drive. I've installed the trial version of PowerDVD (which plays everything fine) to try the Cyberlink decoders but that makes no difference.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 06:15:39 am »

Then it is a filter issue.  You very likely have some filter installed (possibly with some DVD creation package you might have installed recently) that is causing MPEG-2 decoding (or DVD decryption) to fail.  Try to think of what you've installed on the machine since it worked that could include some DirectShow filters (including trial PowerDVD) and uninstall it.  Then, make sure you have something that can handle DVD playback installed, and try again.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up