INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Have Imported AAC files (M4A), but I can't play them  (Read 1676 times)

mleeb47

Have Imported AAC files (M4A), but I can't play them
« on: December 16, 2007, 12:18:26 am »

I have installed version 12 and I figured out how to import acc files (m4a), after I import them I try to play them without success.  The music file shows at the top, but no matter what I do they won't play.

HELP

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Have Imported ACC files (M4A), but I can't play them
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 08:51:29 am »

Do they play in Quicktime?  You may have to update QT.  I believe there's a link in the FAQ (see my signature) to a standalone QT install.

mleeb47

Re: Have Imported AAC files (M4A), but I can't play them
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 11:31:56 am »

Why would my music files play in Quicktime?
Thanks, Mike

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 11:53:56 am »

I believe they will.

Also try a search here and at google for DirectShow filters for AAC.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 02:06:04 pm »

AAC files are played in MC either using DirectShow filters (if you have them) or using Quicktime engine. Do you have Quicktime installed on your computer? If yes, can you play the file in Quicktime player? If you can, you should be able to play it in MC too because MC uses Quicktime engine for it. On the other hand, your better option is to play the files using DirectShow. MC always tries to use DirectShow for AAC if filters are available.

Please read the DirectShow Guide written by glynor, especially the part on CCCP. Are your AAC files actually Apple lossless or are they DRM protected by Apple? In these two cases you can only play them using Quicktime engine.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 09:10:40 am »

DRM Protected iTunes files should be M4P not M4A (unless the user manually renamed them).  It's quite likely either (a) broken Quicktime (which has been happening a lot with the recent updates), or (b) invalid DirectShow setup.  So you know, I wrote one page in the Wiki specifically for this since it is such a FAQ: http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/MP4_and_M4A_File_Support

If you think your Quicktime install should be working, but it isn't, I'd strongly recommend that you try the steps outlined in this thread.  It worked for that other user, and I've seen it a few times elsewhere with recent Quicktime updates.

For non-encrypted M4A files that aren't Apple Lossless, your best bet is to use DirectShow to handle playback.  See the Wiki page linked above, and for bonus credit, read the Guide that Yaobing linked to.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up