INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 12.0.318 crashes when attempting to play .m4p & .m4a files  (Read 1759 times)

konominut

• Recent member
MC 12.0.318 crashes when attempting to play .m4p & .m4a files
« on: December 13, 2007, 08:49:39 pm »

?
I have been away from my computer for over two weeks and now suddenly MC 12 crashes when attempting to play .m4p & .m4a songs within my library.  To my knowledge nothing has changed.  I copied a bunch on songs to my IPOD before my trip and now today I am unable to play these files extension.  Other than Microsoft magical updates, I have no clue what could have changed.  Can someone please tell me where to begin to look

The error message is the standard "Media Center has encountered and a Problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."  with a choice of send or don't send.
I am run and windows XP pro with 1 gb ram.

Any information would be helpful, as I really hate to have to go back to Itunes or use winamp

?

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: MC 12.0.318 crashes when attempting to play .m4p & .m4a files
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 09:21:23 pm »

First step: upgrade to the latest version (available in this forum).

j

konominut

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 09:31:23 pm »

Downloaded and installed the latest 12.0.388 version and still experience the same results

I didn't see an update as I ran "Check for update" from within MC

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 10:15:49 pm »

I wonder if something is wrong with Quicktime on your system. Do other file types play okay?
Media Center doesn't do the final playback on m4a and m4p files, it passes them off to Quicktime, and that may be causing the crash.

j

konominut

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 08:11:53 am »

I have installed the latest version of quicktime.

MC is still unable to play the files

The error signature is
AppName: media center 12.exe         AppVer 12.0.388.0 ModName: quicktimeaudiosupport.qtx
ModVer 7.3.1.70        Offset: 0005e1f2

hope this leads to a solution

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 08:28:13 am »

The first step would be to completely uninstall both Quicktime and iTunes.  You may also want to just uninstall MC12 too for good measure (but choose not to delete your registry settings or library).  Then reboot, and download Quicktime 7.3.1 (and iTunes if you want).  Follow these instructions to install it in the "least evil way possible": http://www.codecguide.com/quicktime_installation.htm

Lastly, assuming that all went well, reboot again and then reinstall MC using the current build.  So you know, the newest version isn't always found by the auto-updater.  They generally only update those builds once in a while when a very stable release comes out, mainly to avoid annoying people with constant notifications of updates.  JRiver releases a new version of MC about once per week.  The newest version can always be found "stickied" in a thread at the top of this forum.  You can imagine that some people would get annoyed if it told you there was a new version every single week (and sometimes twice on Mondays)!

If this doesn't help, come back here and let us know, and please enable logging in MC.  To do this, go to Help --> Logging.  Check the Output to a log file box, then in the Types of Events box, check all of the options.  Click OK to save and restart MC.  Then reproduce the crash and re-open MC.  You can then email the log files by going back into Help --> Logging and clicking on the "Click to email log files" link.  I'm not sure who to tell you to email them to (perhaps someone from JRiver can post back and tell you where to send them if we get to that stage).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

konominut

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 09:24:18 am »

Following glynor advice of complete uninstall and re-install did the trick.   Thank you

Pages: [1]   Go Up