INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: save files while on the road connecting to server?  (Read 3346 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
save files while on the road connecting to server?
« on: December 05, 2007, 12:23:16 am »

just curious if there's a way to connect to server while on the road, and be able to save the files when ya connect to the server. so i can burn my songs to disc, or imported them onto my cell phone or print the pictures\give pictures to people when im on the road.

thank you.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: save files while on the road connecting to server?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 01:51:14 pm »

Explore Media Center's "Library Server".
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

HTPC4ME

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 04:07:15 pm »

Thanks for the reply matt, could you elaboate please? so when im away from home on laptop, what are the steps to get my songs\pictures\videos to a disc?

thank you.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 01:04:14 am »

matt? anyone?

thank you

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 09:24:59 am »

Install Media Center on your laptop, set up Library Server on the desktop and give it a try!

j

HTPC4ME

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 09:39:28 am »

john i'm lost in regards to what your saying?

I have had laptop in use with media center for a few years, and also been able to connect to server for a years.

I'm asking how i can grab my media from my laptop which is connecting to my server via media center. Example looking at my playlists on laptop WHILE on the road. and dragging a file from media center to desktop  or anyway possible to get the files from media center on laptop which is connecting to server. so i can burn discs\take files from laptop(which is connected to server) and send those fles to my cell phone etc...

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 02:43:52 pm »

Maybe I'm missing something: what happens when you try to burn a CD on the laptop while it is connected to the server?

j

HTPC4ME

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 06:01:48 pm »

im at home now. so its tough for me to test. but the error is something like this. when i try to grab the files, put them on desktop or burn a disc while away from home connected to server. it says cannot find file path. it won't allow me to do anything with the files when im away from home.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 06:41:38 pm »

I've wanted this feature, too.  When using library server, lots of features are disabled:

DVDs cannot be streamed, either.  I'm connected over library server to my server right now (local lan) and I can't play the DVDs.  I think it is something to do with MC internally calling DVD files by a ".dvd" extension.  That's why when I right-click, locate on disk, it doesn't work.  Can this be fixed, too?

HTPC4ME

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 06:46:49 pm »

Thank you benn. so you are familiar with what i'm asking it sounds?

so this is not possible? and why isn't?
 i mean jriver is already getting all the info. gets the coverarts etc.. why cant a person drag a song from jriver to desktop to put on a phone or cd if they want to? it would just take downloading that file from server to where ever you are in the world conncting to the server. or is it possible and im doing it wrong?

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 08:03:54 pm »

I have conversion from FLAC to MP3 enabled.  If conversion is not enabled then MC actually sends the FLAC file over the internet so it seems like it would be easy for MC to transfer the entire file and therefore, could burn a CD from the original files.  MP3's would be similar.

But *please* fix the .dvd bug.  Easy way to see the problem:
Right click on a DVD (VIDEO_TS folder) in MC and select locate on disk.  MC will not be able to locate it.  Reason is because it shows the file location to be something .dvd and there are no .dvd files anywhere.  If this would fixed I really think it would fix the library server DVD streaming problem.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 02:39:56 pm »

Sorry - my confusion.

Burning is disabled on Library Server clients. This is because we don't currently handle burning files specified by URL instead of a local file name.
We're looking at changing this...

j

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 02:51:06 pm »

It is possible to create a virtual Handheld (in a HD folder) and sync files through Library Server.

After that the files can be used with a local library in a normal way (imported, converted, burned etc...)

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 02:57:28 pm »

But *please* fix the .dvd bug.  Easy way to see the problem:
Right click on a DVD (VIDEO_TS folder) in MC and select locate on disk.  MC will not be able to locate it.  Reason is because it shows the file location to be something .dvd and there are no .dvd files anywhere.  If this would fixed I really think it would fix the library server DVD streaming problem.

It would work as badly as streaming of big MPEG2 files. The client would need to download each complete VOB file first. In any case, this is OT in this thread.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2007, 03:16:02 pm »

DVDs cannot be streamed, either.  I'm connected over library server to my server right now (local lan) and I can't play the DVDs.  I think it is something to do with MC internally calling DVD files by a ".dvd" extension.  That's why when I right-click, locate on disk, it doesn't work.  Can this be fixed, too?

This is already covered in the wiki:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Library_Server#Library_Server_and_DVDs

j

HTPC4ME

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2008, 01:55:07 pm »

Any talk about this being possible yet?

So i can be on the road at parents, and save my music when connecting to MY home server to my discs or my phone?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2008, 02:09:41 pm »

Any talk about this being possible yet?

So i can be on the road at parents, and save my music when connecting to MY home server to my discs or my phone?

It is possible to create a virtual Handheld (in a HD folder) and sync files through Library Server.

After that the files can be used with a local library in a normal way (imported, converted, burned etc...)

I.e. create a new handheld on the client and sync the files. It doesn't matter if the server is connected through LAN or WAN.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2008, 02:13:29 pm »

could you elaborate what you mean by that please?

virtual handheld?

and are the steps i can read up on how to accomplish this. i dont knwo how many times i been away from home and used my laptop to connect to my home server, and really wanted to grab some of my music and throw it on my phone\or cd so i could listen to it on the road...but i couldnt

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2008, 02:17:35 pm »

Tools > Options > Handheld > Device management > Add device...

HTPC4ME

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2008, 02:27:08 pm »

thanks for tips alex, i just tested here at home. now being im not away from server.

im assuming when on the road i would just choose files to sync to that hard drive folder i made, and then that media center would copy those files via the internet from my home server to where im at into that folder then i could burn them\convert etc...?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2008, 02:49:05 pm »

thanks for tips alex, i just tested here at home. now being im not away from server.

im assuming when on the road i would just choose files to sync to that hard drive folder i made, and then that media center would copy those files via the internet from my home server to where im at into that folder then i could burn them\convert etc...?

It should be as simple as that. After syncing and downloading the files you can switch to a local library and do anything you want with the files.

The client doesn't know how far you are from the server. You can test the system on your home LAN and trust that it works on the road too (assuming the server connection works normally).

HTPC4ME

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2008, 02:54:50 pm »

Alex You Rock!.. Thanks Alot!!!

Now i have unlimited roadtrip music for my trips down south. WooooWhoo
Pages: [1]   Go Up