INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrading from older versions of MJ  (Read 12195 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Upgrading from older versions of MJ
« on: December 13, 2007, 03:21:23 pm »

If you have MJ8 installed, you can install MJ12 without uninstalling.  Install to a different directory.  If MJ12 finds your old MJ8 data, it can convert it.

If you have MC12 installed, you can just install MJ12 in a different directory.  You can copy your data to whatever folder you want. 

You can change the default library location in either program by doing File/Library/Library Manager.

If you have a question, please post it here.

Thanks.

badger

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re: Upgrading from older versions of MJ
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 10:44:30 am »

Believe it or not I'm still using 7.2.280 with an X10 remote.  I know I'm behind the times here but if my remote will still work with the free upgrade I want to try it.....and I'll probably buy media center (because the Photo album stuff looks pretty cool).  Please advise on what (if anything) i'll lose with the free MJ upgrade.  The remote it the key.  I play drums with the music and use the remote extensively.

Your product has been perfect for me over the past 5 years.  The database (find music) function has been much easier for me to use than either Media Player or iTunes.

Thanks,

Mike

DarkPenguin

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 01:17:27 pm »

It does not support remotes.

You might want to give MC12 a try.

wwolfe1

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 01:34:39 pm »

The first time I installed it deleted version 8.  There is not a option before it says that it will remove Ver 8 to install in a new directory.  After I installed and started the program I noted that there was an expiration date of May 2008.  Plus, none of my data from Ver 8 was imported into Ver 12.

Think I will stay with Ver 8.

W Wolfe
Thanks,

W. Wolfe

DarkPenguin

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 01:46:13 pm »

I think we warn you now.  We should have imported your data.  What version did you try?

As of build 12.0.17 Media Jukebox does not have a timeout.

goodlistener

• Recent member
data lost Upgrading from MJ8 to MJ12
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 02:00:17 pm »

Hi Kids,

I just blindly intalled MJ12, replacing my old MJ8.  Of course I promptoly lost all of my playlists, hundreds of hours of work.  Am I completely screwed?  Is ther a way to get back my playlists?

Also I like knowing when I added a song to my collection.  If I tell MJ12 to compile another library from my collection all the songs will show one date, today.  Is there some way to direct MJ12 to just use the data I compiled from MJ8?

Thanks for your help.

DonT

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 09:09:55 pm »

If you have MC12 installed, you can just install MJ12 in a different directory.  You can copy your data to whatever folder you want. 

Is the same true for MC10 and MJ12?  Can I have both installed at the same time?

TIA.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 07:02:56 am »

Not MC10.  The first version that would allow dual installs is MC11.1 (late)

ok_aight

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 07:05:03 pm »

Not sure if this is really a workaround to a migration bug but, some times ago, I uninstalled a very old version of MJ 12, restored a backup of an old windows and reinstalled a new version of the jukebox, in a row. The audioscrobbler plugin then refused to work as expected - no data sent to last.fm.

It appears (not sure though but it works perfectly now) that adding a simple key (not automatically created by the new plugin?) in the registry fixed it.

Under the leaf HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Jukebox 12\Plugins\Interface\last.fm add the key "Enabled" with a value of 1 (DWORD) and voila.

saragesh69

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 01:00:13 pm »

I have my old enable key from when I purchased MJ10 plus. when I tried to use the key to add MJ13 it said key no longer exisits
what do I have to do to get a correct key or did I pay all that money for lifetime upgrades for nothing?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 01:15:54 pm »

There was no MJ10.  There was an MC10, but no Plus.

There isn't an MJ13, but maybe you mean MC13.

If you do have an MC10 license, you must install MC10 and license it first, then install MC13 in order to get the upgrade price ($19.98). 

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 03:13:00 pm »

If you have MJ8 installed, you can install MJ12 without uninstalling.  Install to a different directory.  If MJ12 finds your old MJ8 data, it can convert it.

You can change the default library location in either program by doing File/Library/Library Manager.

If you have a question, please post it here.

Thanks.

>> If you have MC12 installed, you can just install MJ12 in a different directory.

I think You Meant To Say

If you have MC12 installed, you can just install MJ14 in a different directory.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

generalz

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 01:54:06 pm »

Jim,   Thanks for agreeing to be the upgrade moderator.  You have my heartfelt sympathy - I was the original unix HelpDesk (all one of me) for at&t's external customers back when dinos roamed.

Migration to MJ14 went pretty smooth, even with cryptic messages such as telling me Library needed to be empty file ... hmmm ... lol ... Tools->Options figured that one.   Can you, or someone, point out to JRiver that Help only goes to JRiver Media Center Wiki, which will not help most users.  Yes, I know MJ is FREE, but without adequate HELP most users will not migrate to MC.

Anyhoo, what has me stumped now is where to point MJ14 to regain my extensive list of MJ12 playlists. 

Thanks in advance!

P.S. - can I insert small animated gifs in posts without fubar results?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 01:57:16 pm »

Welcome to the forum.

You can back up an MJ12 library and restore it in MJ14.  It's under File/Library.

Luckyboy1965

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 03:31:47 am »

Hello,

I purchased the lifetime licence for MJ8. Then I installed the free upgrade to MJ12 in one folder and even the MJ14 in another folder, and both of them run.
The problem is with the iPod sync. It requires a valid MP3 encoder licence, but the MJ8 license is not recognized anymore.

What to do? Convert to iTunes? I hope not

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2011, 07:23:39 am »

The license for MJ8 isn't valid for upgrade to the MP3 Encoder.  Sorry.

TheMusicMan

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2011, 04:50:52 pm »

Greetings and Happy Holidays, Jim, et al.

I have been a loyal user of Media Jukebox since around V8, about the time MusicMatch ticked me off for some reason. Subsequently, I've been through V12 and now MJ V14, but I've only just noticed a few things I miss. One of them is the ability to record from a Line-In and the other is a previously-forumed-about issue of no context menu options for Media Jukebox, other than the default 'Play in Media Jukebox'. I've gone through the steps as indicated - right-click, properties, reset association - Tools, Options, Enable shell integration - reboots, reloads, etc. - all to no avail.

I do seem to remember (as well as my tired old brain will let me) that in V12 I got the context menu from which I could select 'Add to Media Jukebox playlist', but I'm not seeing it in my current V14 install.

I'm on a brand-new laptop, Intel i7, 8GB memory, Windows 7 and have just set up a new desktop with mostly the same specs - the results are the same on both. No ability to record from Line-In and no context menus in Windows Exploder.

My system is in English and I'm a U.S. Yankee, so I don't think the language is an issue (as was suggested as a possibility in another forum), but I'm stumped.

Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

ps - I like dogs and am only so-so about kids, but I really like the horse you folks got you. I'll contribute to feed it, anyday.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2011, 06:09:45 pm »

Happy New Year.  The feature set in Media Jukebox is limited.  You might try JRiver Media Center.  You can upgrade at a reduced price if you have an MJ8 license.
Pages: [1]   Go Up