INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Resize Cover Art On-The-Fly while syncing to iPod with MJ12  (Read 1723 times)

TB2

• Recent member
Resize Cover Art On-The-Fly while syncing to iPod with MJ12
« on: December 22, 2007, 08:58:27 am »

Hi,

I have a lot of cover art and some of it goes up to the size of 2000x2000. Now I'm having really serious performance problems on the iPod Classic (up to 60 seconds of lag all the time) and I think it is because of the huge amount of high resolution cover art.

Is it possible to convert all the cover art On-The-Fly while transferring files to the iPod? E.g. to the reasonable size of 100x100 or 150x150? I want to keep the high resolution cover art on my computer though.

If not, then regard this as a feature request ;)

Thanks,
TB2

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Resize Cover Art On-The-Fly while syncing to handheld
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 09:16:30 am »

What build of MC are you using?  Did you try updating?

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 09:22:01 am »

I don't have my iPod handy to double-check, but there should be an option under handheld ~conversion ~video to set the resolution of the art.  It used to offer a couple of choices, but after some begging, they allowed the option to set to whatever size you like.
pretend this is something funny

TB2

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 09:31:42 am »

@JimH:
I was using 12.0.10 when I posted this, now I'm using the latest build, but the options didn't change a bit. Should there be such an option? Forgto to say, I'm using MJ by the way not MC. Sorry about that.

@JustinChase
Well it is possible to convert "images" but I guess that only applies when transferring images explicitly and not to cover art which might even be embedded in the tag.

By the way, here's a video of how my iPod behaves at the moment. coverflow is not usable, the rest is annoyingly slow. I think it's because the ipod has to scale down all the covers all the time. I'd like them to be converted into the native iPod cover art resolution (I guess 80x80 or something) OTF when transferring.

Comments for the video:
1. Changing from {Genre} to {Artist} takes 5-10 seconds (as demonstraed with Deep Purple and Elvis)
2. Changing into coverflow takes 20 seconds (display turns off)
3. Playing a track takes another 20 seconds (display turns off)
4. Going back to cover flow induces 60 seconds of freezing. After that I'm back to playing now. The only exit is a reset...

TB2

• Recent member
Re: Resize Cover Art On-The-Fly while syncing to iPod with MJ12
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 05:21:40 am »

Well, I found out that iTunes scales all the Artwork anyway and creates a database on the iPod.

Are there known problems with how MC / MJ handle this database? I never tried using iTunes on my iPod because I have so many flac, ape and ogg files which would be to much trouble to backup as iTunes would convert them on my harddisk, too. So I'm using MJ because it coverts on the fly.

Anyway, does MC / MJ scale the images properly when adding music with artwork to the iPod or might there be a problem that is causing these huge lags? I repeat that I have these problems on both my original as well as my newly replaced device, so it's not hardware failure.

SwellGuy

Re: Resize Cover Art On-The-Fly while syncing to iPod with MJ12
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 07:08:13 pm »

The hard drive on your iPod can get fragmented over time. This is almost always the cause of lags when loading cover art (it's not an issue with the size of your artwork). You may have to re-transfer your files to clean things up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up