INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: M2T File Information  (Read 3311 times)

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
M2T File Information
« on: February 09, 2008, 04:34:51 pm »

Issue with file information (mc doesn't know the bitrate, dimesnions etc) with m2t's and as a result, the thumbnail is just an icon and not the first frame of the video.  Funny though there are a few that do have the information.  When I first put them in they didn't, then about a week into it they retrieved the file info and the thumbnail went from an icon to the first frame of the video.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: M2T File Information
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 04:47:44 pm »

MC12 gets the file info from the filters when one of its worker processes run (eg the media clip is imported you may see the filters icon load in the system tray briefly - this is when the info and thumbnails is grabed).  So, pending on your filter selection you may get odd results or if you don't have the right filters you may even get nothing as the file can not be played. 
JRiver CEO Elect

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 06:57:34 pm »

I assume you are talking about files from an AVCHD camcorder?  My Canon HD10 stores files with the 'M2T' extension.  The 'valid' extension for the data stream it uses is really 'M2TS'.  Canon may be using the 'invalid' M2T to keep the extension to 3 characters for some compatibility reason.  What I usually do when I move these files to my PC is rename them to .mpg to let Windows build the thumbnail then to .m2ts.  I think the software provided by Canon to move the files to the PC takes care of the M2T to M2TS file rename.

There is nothing 'wrong' with leaving it as an M2T file, but most AV software doesn't recognize that as a valid video file type at this time. 

StarBand Guy

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I might be a porcupine.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 07:21:19 pm »

So how do you get those files to play in MC? I have a Panasonic AVCHD camera and can't get MC to recognize or play those files correctly. I've been converting them to AVI which is really dumb.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 07:31:46 pm »

With the M2TS extension, MC plays them on my machine.  That being said, I may have added M2TS as a valid video type to the Windows Registry for WMP11 playback.  The bad news is that with the codecs I have installed, the video looks like total crap.  Need to get a decent AVCHD CODEC installed if I want to use my PC as my playback device.  The 'free' codecs most of us have installed don't handle AVCHD very well - resulting in lots of dropped frames or poor image quality.  The same file on my PS3 looks a million times better.

If you need to rename the file to something - use MPG, not AVI.  AVCHD is an MPEG variant.

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 06:12:56 am »

I'm using FFDSHOW and I'm assuming that handles the m2t but I'll have to check that out.  I'll try to rename to mpg and see how that works.

As far as playing my MC plays them fine...I do however first take them into tmpgenc and so some funky work (extension still remains m2t) but I'm fairly sure it plays without that.

I have the HV20 and it didn't come with any software so I'm using hdvsplit to import.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 01:03:42 am »

jroyal, I've also got a HV20 and the resultant files play fine in MC12 but you will need to play with your Filter selection for the M2TS file type for what will work best as many MPEG filters don't like MPEG-Transport Stream (which is what you get when you use HDVSPLIT).  I use ULEAD Video Studio for capture and edit with one of the good side effects that it converts these to MPEG-Program Stream which is fine in most Filters.
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up