INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Worst...tivo....troubleshooting....ever....  (Read 7794 times)

AustinBike

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Worst...tivo....troubleshooting....ever....
« on: February 19, 2008, 09:04:21 pm »

I FINALLY fixed the problem.

Back in December or so I posted about JR not working with Tivo under vista but fine under XP.  I literally had 2 boot disks and if I boot to XP, no problem, but with vista, the system would hang up after about 3 minutes, playing bursts of 10-30 seconds before stopping again.

Easily a software problem, right?

WRONG.

This one took, me months to work out.  here's why, just a bit of complexity at home:

The problem finally worked out to one tivo, upstairs that would not work with vista and one that would.  I swapped nics, I swapped units, the problem was maddening.

Then I stumbled onto the answer last night.

XP + Tivo series 2 with USB 1.1 and Linksys USB200M wired adapters = good

Vista + Tivo series 2 with USB 1.1 and Linksys USB200M wired adapters = bad

Vista + Tivo series 2 with USB 1.1 and Farallon wired adapters = Good!

Literally it comes down to the adapter.  And it is not a bad Linksys adapter because I have 2 and both work fine on the USB 2.0 tivo, neither work on the USB 1.1 Tivo - except with XP.

What is going on?  My thought is that there is some difference in the IP retry.  Eventually the stack clogs up and starts to hang.  But I have nothing to tell me how this is all tied together or where the problem actually stems from.  I just know it works now.

What a nightmare.

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: Worst...tivo....troubleshooting....ever....
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 09:48:32 pm »

Holy cow! Nice find, that must have been fun tracking down.

Sounds like a bug in the driver for the adaptor. I see something similar with my DSL modem at home, every week or two it gets unhappy and starts dropping connections. A reboot clears it up for the next couple of weeks.

j

AustinBike

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Worst...tivo....troubleshooting....ever....
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 09:54:39 pm »

Someone at work theorized that something in the chain, either the tivo, the adapter or the server is waiting on retires and when it finally gets full of requests, it jsut chokes.  The ACKs are getting lost.  One theory was jumbo packets since part of the network is GB, but that disn't pan out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up