INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: One minor (?) problem after moving to another machine  (Read 2469 times)

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
One minor (?) problem after moving to another machine
« on: February 23, 2008, 09:30:04 am »

Hi.
I just moved my library from one machine (XP) to another (Vista). Using the library backup/restore function and also the export/import playlist ditto, all seemed well, until I clicked my playlists, only to discover that all files/songs appear in the library with a yellow dot and a red X in front of them, indicating the path is wrong. So I must have missed something. As I don't know why, I also don't know how to fix this. Any ideas, please?

rgds,
olek

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: One minor (?) problem after moving to another machine
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 01:52:31 pm »

How did you copy the media files? If they are not in an identical folder structure naturally the file links in the restored library cannot be correct.

Probably the problem is easy to fix, but more information is needed.

Check the old Filename field values of a few files (inside MC) and find the same files on the hard drive (outside MC). Are the filename paths different on the new PC? Do all files have exactly the same difference?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 02:04:39 pm »

How did you copy the media files? If they are not in an identical folder structure naturally the file links in the restored library cannot be correct.

Probably the problem is easy to fix, but more information is needed.

Check the old Filename field values of a few files (inside MC) and find the same files on the hard drive (outside MC). Are the filename paths different on the new PC? Do all files have exactly the same difference?

Thanks, Alex B, you're SO right: the file paths all point to the drive on which they were placed on the computer which I had copied them from. I did copy them by copying the entire folder to an external HD, and then from there to their new location on my new PC. Was this enough info for you to help me get them back in place? I guess I will have to redirect them to the My Music folder on the new PC somehow, but I don't know how.
PS: Off course, now I noticed that this doesn't regard only the files in my playlist, but all the files in the entire library.
I appreciate your help very much.

best of wishes,
ole k

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 02:41:57 pm »

Please post examples of the old & new paths.

E.g.

In the library:
C:\Documents and Settings\okvaal\My Documents\My Music\The Band\The Album\01 - Find the file.mp3

On the HD:
C:\The Great New Base Folder\The Band\The Album\01 - Find the file.mp3
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 03:38:47 am »

If I get you right, this is what you asked for:
On my old PC: F:\My Music\MP3\Rock\Arcade Fire\The Neon Bible\ 01- Black Mirror
On the ext. HD: 02_Music\My Music\MP3\Rock\Arcade Fire\The Neon Bible\01-Black Mirror
On the new PC: c:\username\Music\ (and the exact content from my original folder F). On the new PC, though, the path in the Filename column refers to the filename on the original PC (F:\My Music\MP3 etc), which off course no longer is there.
Is there a way around having to batch rename them by using the Library Tools/Rename files from properties function?

Wishing there is,
ole k

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 04:32:47 am »

You can use the "Find and Replace..." tool for fixing the file links inside the library:

1. Disable Auto-Importer if it is enabled. (this a precaution)

2. Select the files and open the Find and Replace tool. Use the following settings:
    -  Tick only the Filename (path) field
    -  Find what: F:\My Music\
    -  Replace: C:\username\Music\    (or whatever produces correct results.)

Try this with a few files first.

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 07:22:16 am »

Hi, Alex. The find/replace thing didn't quite do the trick - or, much more likely - I did something wrong, but a total deleting and reimporting my files seemed to work. At least that's what I think did it . .
Anyway, thanks a lot.

cheers,
ole k

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 09:10:14 am »

Hi, Alex. The find/replace thing didn't quite do the trick - or, much more likely - I did something wrong,

The Find and Replace system works. You did something wrong. Probably you weren't precise when you wrote the paths in the dialog box. The idea is to replace only the changed part in the beginning of the complete path and leave the rest intact.

Here's one more example:

The filename in the restored library:
D:\My old base folder\My old personal subfolder\The Beatles\Abbey Road\07 - Here Comes The Sun.mp3

The new filename on the disk:
C:\My new base folder\My new subfolder 1\My new subfolder 2\The Beatles\Abbey Road\07 - Here Comes The Sun.mp3

Use the following tool options:
Tick only: Filename (path)
Find what: D:\My old base folder\My old personal subfolder\
Replace: C:\My new base folder\My new subfolder 1\My new subfolder 2\

but a total deleting and reimporting my files seemed to work. At least that's what I think did it . .

It worked because you started from the scratch. The imported files are new library entries. You also lost the old statistics and possible standard playlists. However, I am glad if it works for you now.

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 12:12:28 pm »

Yup, I suspected all along I must have been doing things a bit too fast and unprecise here. I will try to follow your recipe once again, although I don't quite get the subfolder 1/subfolder 2 part? And I don't want to lose the original playlist setup, either, so I guess this calls for action. Thanks for putting me on the right track. If you could clarify the bit above, I'd be thankful, though, but as I may be gone away for a few days, I may not reply right away.

Thanks again,
ole k

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 01:08:39 pm »

although I don't quite get the subfolder 1/subfolder 2 part?

I just meant that the new structure doesn't need to have the same number of subfolders than it had before.

e.g.

If the old structure had many common folders like
D:\folder a\folder b\folder c\

it can be replaced with a simple base folder like
E:\folder x\

(or the other way around: from simple to more complex)

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 02:19:07 pm »

Got it! Thanks a lot.:-)

ole k

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 11:37:57 am »

Now I'm pretty sure Find/Replace doesn't do it in my case. I even tried copying Filename (path) as it appears in the library (a play-able file) into the corresponding field in the playlist. MC still claims it can't be found.
So now: if I should start all over again, what should I do to move with me all my music files from an XP machine to a Vista machine? That is, without losing my playlists. Anyone, please?

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 03:29:30 pm »

Now I'm pretty sure Find/Replace doesn't do it in my case. I even tried copying Filename (path) as it appears in the library (a play-able file) into the corresponding field in the playlist. MC still claims it can't be found.
So now: if I should start all over again, what should I do to move with me all my music files from an XP machine to a Vista machine? That is, without losing my playlists. Anyone, please?

Did you select all files first?  As far as I know, the "find/replace" function only works on the current selection of files.

Also, you need to be 100% accurate with the syntax so that the result is truly accurate.  Leaving out or adding an extra backslash will prevent you from ending up with the correct path.

For example, say your old path is

D:\Media Library\Audio\[Aritst]\[Album]

and you want to change it to

C:\Users\John\Media Library\Audio\[Artist]\[Album]

If you replaced "D:\" with "C:\Users\John", it would NOT work because you left out a backslash after "John."  In this case, you'd end up with

C:\Users\JohnMedia Library\Audio\...

Which is of obviously not correct.  You should have used "C:\Users\John\" instead.

In other words, you need to be REALLY careful and think about what you're going to end up with -- it's really easy to make a mistake.

If you do it and it doesn't work, however, you can check the path in the "filename" column to see where you made the mistake.  You can "Undo" the previous operation and do it again.  If you use the correct syntax in the find/replace fields, it WILL work.

The proper way to move your library to a new system is to

1) Backup the library (File > Library > Back Up Library) on the old system.
2) Copy the entire library of media files to the new system.
3) Copy the backed up library (zip file) to the new system.
4) Turn Auto-import OFF on the new system.
5) "Restore" (File > Library > Restore Library) the old library (that you backed up) onto the new system.
6) Select all the files on the new system and do a Find and Replace on the "Filename (path)" field so that the paths are correct on the new system.

Note that if you don't have ALL your media under a single main folder or drive (or aren't moving it to a single folder or drive), you may have to do this in chunks.  You just need to think about the structure and figure out the correct syntax.  It can help to write down the old and new paths in order to study them a bit.

Larry

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 12:47:58 pm »

It worked like a dream! (But then, I guess you knew it would  :) ) I started from scratch, following your instructions, and this time I also succeeded with the find/replace procedure. Thanks a lot.

ole k

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 06:06:34 pm »

That's great news -- I'm glad it's working for you.

One other detail I forgot to mention: If you have more than one media type in your library, you can't just select everything under "Audio" and change the path since this will not fix the paths on any OTHER media.  You can do the process in multiple steps for the various media types, or you can create a new View Scheme that displays ALL media in the library and use this to select all the files (this is what I do.)

Remember also that the library can contain "Documents" if you want.  If your library contains any document-type files, highlighting the "Audio," "Image," and "Video" items at the top of the tree will not include everything.  You'll also need to utilize the "document" branch of the tree, OR (once again) use a View Scheme the includes EVERY file in your library of EVERY file type.

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up