INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What happened to get Cover Art from Internet?  (Read 2984 times)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
What happened to get Cover Art from Internet?
« on: February 25, 2008, 10:22:15 am »

I did some importing of ripped DVDs yesterday, and to my surprise there was no option to assign cover art using the "Get from Internet" option in build 438.
Has this been changed somehow in recent builds and I haven't noticed.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
Re: What happened to get Cover Art from Internet?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 10:07:13 am »

bump

Am I just imagining that I used to somehow automatically get DVD cover art from the internet- often I'd be presented with several choices of cover art, from what I recall. Either the option is now no longer there, or I haven't been able to find it again. ANy input appreciated. Thanks.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 11:16:30 am »

Cover art is not treated separately from the other meta-data in YADB. Right-click and Update from Online Database will get the cover art, if it exists. YADB currently only stores a single cover art for each DVD.

j

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 12:01:09 pm »

Thanks, I'll try this tonight. Sorry for being a pain about this if it's really that simple.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 01:11:07 pm »

Not a pain at all. The DVD database is growing slowly, so there's not a lot of cover art in it still.

j

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 11:05:45 pm »

How does the CD cover art database grow?  Should I submit my 1,200 hand-scanned 1200x1200 cover art?  Does it take a while to upload (lol)?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 11:31:55 pm »

Cover art is not treated separately from the other meta-data in YADB. Right-click and Update from Online Database will get the cover art, if it exists. YADB currently only stores a single cover art for each DVD.

j

I think I'm going crazy. I select the video file I want the cover art to, whether it's an mkv or an IFO or an avi, the result is the same. I then right click, but there's no option to "Update from Online Database", and this isn't there under the cover art sub menu or Library Tools either. Pray tell what am I doing wrong? The option works perfectly for songs. Maybe I didn't acquire some DVD cover art from YADB before and am just confusing it with the get cover art from Internet option for CDs?

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 02:33:12 am »

I think I'm going crazy.

I don't think so... I can't find this either! For audio: Right Click | Cover Art | Get from Internet... but not for video?? I've never noticed before as I normally copy coverart externally and paste from the clipboard. Was this feature ever available for video?
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

MrHaugen

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 03:15:33 am »

How does the CD cover art database grow?  Should I submit my 1,200 hand-scanned 1200x1200 cover art?  Does it take a while to upload (lol)?

You should definately upload them. It's a big help for us all.
I try to do it my self as often as possible after a batch of ripping and cover art scanning.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 03:16:02 am »

Was this feature ever available for video?

Not for video files.

For DVD Video discs it is integrated in the "update from online database" as Gateley said.

For user encoded video files an automatic cover art lookup system would be pretty much impossible unless a tagging standard would be created and agreed amongst the users.

Audio files use [Album Artist (auto)] - [Album] as a tagging rule for submissions and lookups. The lookup system uses some amount of fuzzy logic so exact match is not always a necessity.  (Gateley, is this fuzzy logic part still correct?)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 06:59:07 am »

Audio files use [Album Artist (auto)] - [Album] as a tagging rule for submissions and lookups. The lookup system uses some amount of fuzzy logic so exact match is not always a necessity.  (Gateley, is this fuzzy logic part still correct?)

Funny you should mention this. Until now, cover art has been an exact matching process (a different database). I'm just finishing up merging it into YADB, so it can take full advantage of the fuzzy matching. It'll be done monday or tuesday.

Benn - yes, upload them, but wait until late next week.

Thanks,

j

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 08:52:31 am »

Funny you should mention this. Until now, cover art has been an exact matching process (a different database). I'm just finishing up merging it into YADB, so it can take full advantage of the fuzzy matching. It'll be done monday or tuesday.

Can the new system fix this problem?

The YADB cover art lookup has naming problems. E.g. I submitted art for "Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Boulevard (MFSL)". However the lookup tool cannot find it. It always returns the standard cover. Here's the difference between the covers:

I.e. currently the album name difference is ignored: 461 Ocean Boulevard vs. 461 Ocean Boulevard (MFSL).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 09:06:06 am »

Yes, it should.

j

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 10:03:59 am »

Thanks, Alex. I figured this out for myself last night while reading the integrated help files.
I must have done this successfully on a DVD disc and assumed that I could do it on video files too. Oh well, I guess I'll scan/download cover art for video files from the internet. Thanks for all your help, guys, and sorry for the confusion.

Not for video files.

For DVD Video discs it is integrated in the "update from online database" as Gateley said.

For user encoded video files an automatic cover art lookup system would be pretty much impossible unless a tagging standard would be created and agreed amongst the users.

Audio files use [Album Artist (auto)] - [Album] as a tagging rule for submissions and lookups. The lookup system uses some amount of fuzzy logic so exact match is not always a necessity.  (Gateley, is this fuzzy logic part still correct?)

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 12:22:56 am »

Don't forget that lots of CDs have multiple covers.  Yes, it annoys the heck out of me.  Especially when an artist re-releases the same CD with ONE MORE song!  I have purchased CDs in the past (used) and gotten a confused response when I wrote asking why the most important track wasn't on the CD.  And of course I'm buying the same CD again for that single track.  (somewhat unrelated)

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2008, 07:37:51 am »

Yes, we know...

j

MadJewDisaster

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2008, 08:26:14 am »

Can the new system fix this problem?

I.e. currently the album name difference ignored: 461 Ocean Boulevard vs. 461 Ocean Boulevard (MFSL).

avax boy?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2008, 08:51:22 am »

avax boy?

I think I know what you mean, but no - I've had the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab gold disc over ten years in the original form.

However, thanks for pointing out the typo. I added the missing "is" word to my post.
Pages: [1]   Go Up