INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deleted my entire library!  (Read 3498 times)

Wildcat

• Junior Woodchuck
Deleted my entire library!
« on: February 29, 2008, 11:17:51 am »

Managed to delete my entire library from my hard Drive!!!

Now I know this is mostly my fault.
I just wanted to delete one artist.
By habit I right clicked an artist in the right pane, picked delete, received the normal menu to choose how I wanted to delete, (I picked from hard drive as I always do), but I never noticed how many files it was about to delete! When i clicked OK it proceeded to delete about 10,000 files. Yikes!!  :-\

Now, I should have read the screen and the warning, but I did everything out of habit.
Has it always been the behavior in MC that when you right click an item in the right panes that it does NOT get selected??
Somehow this type of behavior has managed to burn me. luckily I have a back up of all my music, but it still sucks.
Ver. 12.0.447

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Deleted my entire library!
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 12:03:07 pm »

A right-click selects the clicked item. Also, the delete command does not work if nothing is selected.

You must have done something else accidentally.

I am glad you have the media files backed up. In addition, you may want to check this folder for a recent library backup file: C:\Documents and Settings\[your username]\Application Data\J River\Media Center 12\Library Backups
(in Vista the path is slightly different)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Wildcat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 12:55:56 pm »

Thanks for the reply Alex.

Maybe it's my system?
Ex:
When I left click AUDIO in left pane and then hover over an artist in the right panes, right click, pick delete, it tells me it's about to delete all files in my library as if I never click on just one artist.

It is ok if I left click first, but I just feel the item should be selected whether it"s left or right click.

I'm running XP pro. Could it be something about XP causing this?
Maybe I'm wrong about the way it should be...who knows :-[

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 01:34:18 pm »

I think it also depends if your in a playlist or not

And

If you select a File(s) And Hit Delete It Comes Up As Remove From The Library As Default On A Option Select Control Pop-Up Message.

If You Select A File(s) Press Shift, And Delete It Comes Up As Remove From Library And Delete The File(s) From Your Disk As A Default On A Option Select Control Pop-Up Message.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

eba

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 01:42:03 pm »

When I left click AUDIO in left pane and then hover over an artist in the right panes, right click, pick delete, it tells me it's about to delete all files in my library as if I never click on just one artist.
It is ok if I left click first, but I just feel the item should be selected whether it"s left or right click.

It happens on mine too: appears to be a bug.

Also happens with Add to Playing now, etc.

Wildcat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 01:52:52 pm »

With the example I gave, in the right side pane, lets say the ARTIST column, hover over any artist in that column and right click. It seems the menu that comes up is NOT focused on that artist but rather on the entire library. So no matter what delete option you pick it's good by library, but in my case I pick delete from disc so I lost the files from my hard drive.
If you left click on the artist then right click everything is ok, the menu is focused on that artist.
Has this changed??
This is how Windows Explore works...right?

Does that make more sense? I'm not very comp literate so bare with me. ;)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 01:59:08 pm »

Wildcat,

You are correct. It seems like a bug. Right-clicking an item in Genre, Artist or Album pane highlights the item, but apparently that selects all files without a visual indication. Only the confirmation box tells how many files you are going to delete.

I guess it actually selects the first, "all" item.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 03:24:58 pm »

Wildcat,

You are correct. It seems like a bug. Right-clicking an item in Genre, Artist or Album pane highlights the item, but apparently that selects all files without a visual indication. Only the confirmation box tells how many files you are going to delete.

I guess it actually selects the first, "all" item.

Fixed next build.  Sorry for the confusion.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Wildcat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 04:05:56 pm »

Thanks

I only wish my hand wasn't quicker than my eyes!  ;)

Michael Horton

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 04:35:12 pm »

For what it's worth, Wildcat, I recently did the same thing in the very same way. Deleted an entire genre, not all the music on my drive though. Then had to go through my CD collection and figure out all the missing CDs. I should have commented sooner on it, but have been reading recent posts to determine whether this new behavior was by design or whether it is a bug. I've been very careful the last day or two not to repeat the mistake. Sorry it happened to you.

Wildcat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 09:00:04 pm »

It's just one more reminder how important the backups are.
I had been getting a little lazy with backing up my photographs lately. I'm glad I didn't do it to those!
This was an awakening!

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 12:21:16 am »

The automated human response to confirm something is dangerous.  I think most people are used to click, delete, right-hand hits Enter key (near mouse).  I know I am.  To make matters worse, I tend to empty the recycle bin very often...usually right after deleting a file or two.

Now I keep the recycle bin icon hidden.  I put it in the start menu (no desktop icons) and this is less likely to get emptied.

Michael Horton

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 10:15:20 am »

it all happened so fast. click on a genre in the top pane and all the artists in the genre appear in the bottom pane...then right-click on an artist on the right-hand side of the top pane and select "delete"...and "poof" all the artists in the genre are deleted because that is what is showing in the bottom pane. 

I just tried it for "fun." I had the tracts for artist "A" showing in the bottom pane. In the top pane, I highlighted artist "B" and deleted artist B via right-clicking. Unfortunately, artist A was deleted instead, because that's what was showing in the bottom pane at the time.  Sure, the dialog popped up asking if I wanted to delete the tracks. and, I said yes because I did want to delete the artist that I had selected in the top pane. unfortunately, what was highlighted and clicked on was not what the program deleted. the dialog box doesn't indicate what is being deleted, just how many items.

Another variation is to select an artist in the top pane, so that all the artist's tracks are showing below. Select one album in the top pane and delete the one album.  you will lose all the tracks by the artist because that is what is showing below. the dialog asks if you are sure that you want to delete the tracks, and you say "of course I do--I just right-clicked and selected delete didn't I?" unfortunately, stupidly, one may have forgotten that the one album you selected for deletion only had 18 tracks and the dialog box asks you whether you are sure that you want to delete 95 tracks.  it's best to pay strict attention to that number for the time being.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 12:44:46 pm »

I just tried it for "fun."

So how was it?  (the fun)

Michael Horton

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 04:57:04 pm »

I've had better, but it beat workin', thanks.  :)

JONCAT

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2008, 10:32:34 pm »

Sorry you had to deal with this one, I reported it 4 months ago:

NASTY glitch:

Select File from a Date (Year) Tile, for example, while viewing Images. Open a picture, and when you realize how bad it is, close display, and delete. Delete that picture?

.....you just deleted (if you didn't notice the prompt) all the files in that parent Tile. You have to open then close the picture and choose delete, only then does MC try to delete the entire contents of the Tile selected above. If you switch to a new tile "below" in the list everything is cool.

This has happened to me twice because I just wasn't looking for it, luckily I have backups and the recycle bin restore was a viable option.

On a similar note, while tagging in the action window using Event I noticed that the checkbox would fill in often after viewing a picture with no data for the Event tag so I would un-select this by clicking on another tile (I had never checked the tag for Event), but still I noticed when deleting ONLY ONE FILE that I was about to delete 1000+ files.

Strange that I can't see this post in the thread, but it's listed in my posts.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2008, 06:53:37 am »

Build 450 has a fix for the right click selection problem:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=45402.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up