INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MJ 12 - Built in media editor?  (Read 2732 times)

The Mastermind

• World Citizen
MJ 12 - Built in media editor?
« on: March 07, 2008, 07:02:06 pm »

Does MJ12 have it's own media editor? I can't seem to find one.

I have upgraded from the paid version of MJ8 and this appears to be a big negative, as MJ8 had it's own editor.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MJ 12 - Built in media editor?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 07:25:11 pm »

It comes in Media Center, The Upgrade To Media Jukebox
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

The Mastermind

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 07:47:28 pm »

Aha - a catch!

So, the upgrade is not really entirely free as I have now lost a very important part of the program and can only get it back by paying more or going backwards in some respects.   >:(

hmmmm...

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 07:59:50 pm »

Here Is A List Of Reasons To Upgrade From Free Media Jukebox 12 To Media Center 12

http://www.mediajukebox.com/upgrade.html
Fayetteville, NC, USA

The Mastermind

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 08:10:01 pm »

I tried Media Center once and prefer Media Jukebox as it is music specific. The Center did too much, I prefer the streamlined Jukebox.

Anyway, those extra features in Media Center are not really the point. Given that MJ12 is advertised as having, "more features, more power, easier to use, and now FREE", I did not expect to lose functionality in the upgrade. It simply does not have more features than   the full version of MJ8.

The Mastermind

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 10:10:19 pm »

Look, just to make it clear. If functions are lost in the upgrade, then that needs to be stated. Upgrading took time, bugs had to be ironed out and there was effort involved. I wouldn't have minded had I got what I expected.

The same sort of effort may apply on the way backwards, by the way.

If an additional paid upgrade to MJ12 is needed to get equivalent functionality to MJ8 then it is not a free version with more features. Simple.

I have used MJ8 for years, recommended it to friends and in online forums. I know for a fact that some went out and purchased it.

The sarcasm involved in the statement that I have "amazed" you suggests that you need some more practice in dealing with customers. It would be better to stick to the issues at hand.

In fact, I gave a free plug to MJ12 on a music collectors board I frequent and recommended it. Perhaps I will provide a link to your response so interested parties may think twice.

that_stevens_guy

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 05:03:17 am »

I am quite happy with media jukebox, it has a steep learning curve from other media players, but once you learn how to use it you realise the power and versatility of the program.

I only intend a 'jukebox' to be just that, play and organize my music. I would never expect an editor to be in a player... Then again this is the first time I have ever used J River Media Jukebox, I cant speak for builds below 12.

The only gripe I have so far, is that the jukebox cant be started in a specific tab, or remember the tab I was in last. Instead it starts in Amazon or Upgrade in the Start tab. I really don't need Amazon shoved in my face every start up, I buy cd's from my local store, I find it rather annoying. And with the upgrade, of course I know about the upgrade, but telling me every time I start the program isn't going to make me do it, I'll only upgrade if I REALLY like the software and want it to do more than just be a jukebox.

I think there should be a way for the program to remember the area you closed it in, and when it is started again, have that option in the Start menu, or just start simply in that tab... or even just allow an option to set a specific start section manually, so that the program has the option in Start. Unless I have missed the option...

Other than that I have no problems with the program. It does everything I would expect and more.

craigmcg

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 07:02:28 am »

To the original poster,

I've only been using Media Center since version 11 and while I appreciate it can do much more than I currently need/want it to, I prefer to use it only as a jukebox (this will probably change at some point so I don't regret having bought MC). For now, I see you with 4 options:

1) keep using MJ12 and use a separate freeware media editor- a slight nuisance
2) keep using MJ12 with no media editor- loss of functionality
3) go back to MJ8- frustrating and potentially time consuming
4) upgrade to MC12 and disassociating all non-audio formats- slightly annoying but giving you more future options, should you choose to use them,

As a fellow customer, I understand your frustration and think that there should be a link called "Existing MJ8 Users" listing the new features and any ones that were included in the paid MJ8 that are not included in the free MJ12, so that people like yourself can see the trade-offs and make an informed decision.

This said, I strongly believe that you, and other former MJ8 users, are not the target market for MJ12. J River is almost certainly looking for new users, who are used to free stuff but may be enticed by added features etc. to actually pay for an upgrade, like many other media players and softwares. The obvious risk for J River is that not enough new people will see/use MJ12 then upgrade to MC12 to offset the revenue loss caused by creating, supporting and hosting a free product that can be chosen instead of the paid one. Jim's frustration, which should probably have remained private, is understandable as by offering more and more features in a free version, it becomes less and less likely that a new user, many of whom are basic, will upgrade to the paid version.

If I were you, I would somewhat grudgingly upgrade to MC12- the added feature set is very impressive as is the knowledge  and support level  provided by many users on the forum. While I will probably never use the full functionality of MC12, I do appreciate the parts of it I do use and the ones I may use.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 08:00:51 am »

maybe because you go from a paid version to a unpaid version you may lose some functionality.

Media Center 12 Is Like The Paid Version Of Media Jukebox 12

You Can Go Back To MJ8 And Re-license it If your Not Happy With The Free Version

You Can Register MJ8, And Pay the Upgrade Fee Of I think $19+ 
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 08:30:12 am »

MJ12 is a free product.  You made a legitimate point about Media Editor, but you made it in a way that seemed to suggest that we were intentionally trying to deceive our customers.  I assure you that this is not the case.

MC12 is light years ahead of MJ8.  iPod support, and WMDRM support, for example.  Device support by itself is a good reason to upgrade.

We made some difficult decisions when we decided to release the free MJ12.  Our customers are the ones who decides whether we were right or not.  So far, the reaction has been very positive, but that doesn't seem to be true in your case.

Other people in this thread have pointed out that you have options that solve your problem. 

The Mastermind

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 09:03:50 am »

I don't think anyone was trying to decieve but I don't think the situation was thought out or at least described well. Describing Media Jukebox as now being free and with more features makes it sound like you get everything you would with the previous paid version plus more. Not so, as I have discovered. Obviously the intention was to get new customers and ancient, archaic MJ8 users were not considered.

I am unsure as to how to proceed. I use MJ8 to manage all of the vinyl I rip and need the media editor for that. I have no other software that creates or edits high quality MP3 files.

I have tried Media Center and went back to MJ8. I didn't want it.

Without a doubt, MJ12 is a very good product but I'd rather a paid upgrade to MJ12. I have been waiting for an MJ upgrade for a while. Oh well, nobody is going to develop a bit of software just for me.

TCube

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 09:50:05 am »

I really don't need Amazon shoved in my face every start up, I buy cd's from my local store, I find it rather annoying

TSG ! on the contrairy I wish could buy from Amazon ... considering the raise of the Euro vs Dollar over the last 2 years   :o   TCube

[Sorry interrupting The Mastermind]
Pages: [1]   Go Up