INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: All Track Numbers are "1" under Name View  (Read 2142 times)

CRAW

All Track Numbers are "1" under Name View
« on: March 11, 2008, 01:07:56 pm »

Hello--

I'm having a problem with my Name view scheme showing all track numbers as 1.  This doesn't happen for the File view scheme, so I'm not sure what the problem is.  I'm using the same field, Track #, in both cases.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Craw

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: All Track Numbers are "1" under Name View
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 03:38:49 pm »

If your using a detail view in a library browser (not panes) view scheme, the [track #] field takes on a different meaning. In short, it's telling you how many files have that name, so, if two tracks have the same name, the name should appear just once with a [track #] value of two.

read more here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=40420.msg275540#msg275540

-marko.

CRAW

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 06:19:42 pm »

Thanks, Marko! 

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 07:01:05 pm »

Sometimes I think his handle is MarkoMediaCenterWikipedia.

And Not To Forget Alex B "Alex B MediaCenterWikipedia"

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

vbrook

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 10:41:23 pm »

Hi,

I found this thread, as I had the same problem. ...but I don't get it, sorry.

My layout is view scheme is "Album Artist" --> "Album" --> "Name". It works beautifully. I see thumbnails. I see a pile of album covers labeled "Miles Davis". I double click and see each album cover, double click again and see each track name. The only problem is, the track numbers are all "1". I'm in "Standard View". Under "View Settings", "Artist" is checked and "Thumbnail" is checked.

How do I maintain this method of organisation while seeing the actual track numbers (rather than track counts)? I don't want the panes. Moreover, if I select pane view (View Settings --> Pane), I cannot get all of the albums under one albumartist into a pile of album covers. This is despite my view scheme above.

1) How do I tell MC to create a visual pile of album covers based on albumartist in the 'panes' mode?

2) Or, how can I get actual track numbers to appear in my current 'view settings'.

Thanks for any advice!

VBrook

vbrook

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 11:00:25 pm »

Just to add to that, in "Theater View", album tracks don't appear in order of track number. In fact, I can't quite figure out what order it's sorting in. I thought maybe it's a related problem to my post just previous above Track #.

There may also be something about "View Settings" that I'm not fundamentally understanding. If I select "Artist" I am in fact seeing "Album Artist". Is that standard behavior? I do like to see "Album Artist", but am a bit confused by the menu label. Also, note, I am not quite using the "auto" feature. With compilations, I have created my own "Album Artist" labels, such as "Mix - Summer of 1982", etc.

Also, under "Customize Current View" there is an option to select columns. It is in fact redundant, in my case, right, because I'm looking at thumbnails (rather than a list)?

Thanks again.

VB

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 11:12:49 pm »

Sometimes I think his handle is MarkoMediaCenterWikipedia.

And Not To Forget Alex B "Alex B MediaCenterWikipedia"

I'm particular to Markopedia and AlexBpedia.  (Particularly AlexBpedia.  That just works and rolls off the tongue.) Like Pragerpedia, only right and not automated.

PS. I'll help tomorrow.  I'm too tired tonight.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 01:50:41 am »

"markopedia"!! What are you guys like :)

vbrook,
When you're not using panes, you're using 'library browser' views.

Library browser 'details' views are slightly different from those of the panes view in that the "Name" column is populated by the contents of the category specified, and the "Track Number" column is populated by a count of the total tracks represented by the "Name" column.

In your case, your final category is, in fact, "Name" so as it happens, in this case, "Name" really does get populated by the contents of the [name] field.
To see what I mean, try switching your 'Album' thumbnail view to details. You will see that there, the "Name" column is populated by the different album names. If you have two albums sharing the same name, "Greatest Hits" for example, then the "Track #" column will show "2" indicating that there are two albums under this name.

Going back to your existing setup, unless you have an album where two or more tracks share the same name, "Track #" will always be "1" as there is only one track with that name in your list.

I've had a quick think for a work-around for you, and came up with:

Go to: "Tools > Options > Library and Folders > User Fields > Add Field"
In the dialogue that shows, name the field "Names" (without qutes), select "Calculated Data" and paste the following into the template field: padnumber([track #],2) - [name]
Press OK.

Now right click on your view scheme and choose edit view scheme.
Replace "Name" with your new "Names" field...

Does that work for you?

-marko.

glynor will help out with your theatre view issues as he's way more boned up with theatre view than I am. I've got a box under the telly, but have yet to buy a remote control. It's been on my shopping list for years and I've developed this complex where I'm convinced that whatever I buy, I'll end up regretting it... I'm having trouble getting past this  :-\ :)

vbrook

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 10:01:34 am »

Thanks, Marko,

I see what you're doing. I just went through your steps and looked up a couple of albums to check. Looks good.

- Basically, I'm creating a new user-field that points to the actual tag called "name", along with "track #" up front so that it sorts in order?

- What was the purpose of 'color blue'---just to highlight the field? It was showing up in the label literally as "[color = blue]" (no spaces), so I removed it. I changed your first 'colour' to 'color' and vice-versa. I'm a British speller, too :-)

- One change I made: In my case, I originally tagged (in MP3Tag) three digit track numbers: the first digit is the "disc #", then two digits for the track numbers. For example, I wanted a Doobie Brothers 4-disc collection to show up a one album called "Doobie Brothers Box Set", tracks are 101, 102...111; 201, 202...; 301, 302...312, 313. If you see what I mean. Not quite compatible with MC, but I can recreate the effect. My calculated field now looks like this:

[Disc #]padnumber([track #],2) - [name]

Works OK.

I do notice, however, that I have some re-tagging to do, as some collections show up strangely. Within "Summer Mix - 1982", for example, the name of the collection is stored as "Album Artist". When I double click inside, I expect to see a listing of all the tracks within the collection. However, many of the singles have an associated album title, and that gets in the way. I think what I'll do it create an "album of single" user field and transfer the album titles to it, move the current "Album Artist" to "Album", et cetera.

Shall experiment a bit with Theater View now that this bit is sorted. I believe that I've the option to force Theater View to honour my View Scheme. Perhaps that will do the trick.

Cheers

(Correction: My track numbers within the tags are indeed single digit. It's the file names that I created as three-digits, just as I did here in MC.)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 03:51:22 pm »

This is way too complicated.

Use Album Artist / Album (like the default Audio view).  Leave Name out of it.

To see files, click the "Files" link available on any thumbnail.  They'll show below the thumbnails.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 01:08:30 am »

Hmmm... that's true... I couldn't see the list for the details!!

I guess it's just this kind of cul-de-sac you're trying to keep people out of, right?

vbrook

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 08:56:51 am »

Well, that's part of it...

Yes, after some playing with the scheme, Album Artist / Album is only what is needed. However, I have "always show files" checked (unintuitively), which shows a window below with the relevant files. I've configured the window to display a columnar list. The padnumber command is useful to me, as I've multi-disc sets classified as just one album. Therefore I use calculated three digit track numbers, where the first number is in fact Disc #, then I pad the actual Track # to two digits.

If I remember right, the "files" link results in a shadowy menu that can't be scrolled through. I didn't like using it.

Moreover, the "Files" link is now gone. I'm not sure where it went, how it was disabled or how to enable it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up