INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MJ8 to MJ12 - MP3 license issues.  (Read 4260 times)

grauniadangel

MJ8 to MJ12 - MP3 license issues.
« on: March 12, 2008, 05:41:52 am »

Hi

I had MJ8 installed and upgraged to the next version - i think it was 11 - all fine.
When I accepted the latest upgrade I was unable to rip to MP3 it told me I had
to restore the licence - which i did from the web page - then a box opens telling me that
the action failed.

Any ideas?

Thanks

John 

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: MJ8 to MJ12 - MP3 license issues.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 06:38:52 am »

Traditionally JRiver has provided an upgrade path for licensed Media Jukebox 8 users (and still does). The next version after MJ8 was renamed to Media Center 9. Since then the MC10, 11 and 12 versions have been released. JRiver offers the upgrade to the latest MC version at a reduced price. Currently it is about $20 (19.99 or so, I think).

MJ12 was released as a stripped-down audio only version of MC12. MJ12 is free except that obviously JRiver cannot officially provide the MP3 encoding part for free. I assume this is because of the patented technology (even thought the LAME encoder's source code itself is freely available, a compiled encoder that can produce MP3 files is not free from patent restrictions). The price of the MP3 encoding license is $9.95.

You can still use the external encoder option for free if you have purchased or acquired an MP3 encoder from some other source. It works with many different command line MP3 encoders that are in the exe format like Fraunhofer, Helix, Xing, LAME etc, but it isn't as convenient as the built-in MP3 encoding option.

Even though MJ12 was not primarily designed to be an upgrade for MJ8 (MC9 and the later MC versions upgrade all MJ8 features), I think that since the old code in MJ8 has started to be somewhat incompatible with latest Windows components and newer hardware JRiver decided to offer MJ12 as a free upgrade to MJ8 users.

Most likely the situation you are facing is unintentional. The issue is just a mishap that is related to a new program and its published details. There would be no problem if JRiver had clearly explained the MP3 encoding policy and the price.

$9.95 is not a lot of money. However, I would advice to try MC12 and consider the $20 upgrade path. As far as I know, the MP3 encoder license for MJ12 is a separate product that cannot be upgraded to MC12.

EDIT

There wasn't an MJ v.11. The MP3 encoding license system wasn't always working before the recent MJ12 builds.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Erik

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 03:32:01 am »

Hello,
I also upgraded mj8 to mj12. Problem is that I have the lame encoder but when I want to install the plug-in I got the message Failed to install. I have also installed the plug-in mp 3 for mj 8 (Media Jukebox MPEG Plugin) so there is a mp3 encoder installed but whe I want to rip a cd  there is always a pop up to let me pay for a mp3 plug in and then I got a "failed to rip message". Do I have to grade down to mj 8 again or is there a possibility to let the mp 3 ecoders work?
I also tried to uninstall the Media Jukebox MPEG Plugin but the uninstall option is grayed out.
So who can help me?
Erik

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 07:36:09 am »

The MJ12 MP3 encoder will not work unless the license is paid.  The MJ8 MP3 encoder makes no difference.

Erik

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 11:08:31 am »

For everyone : If you want to encode in mp3 and you have a encoder :  in settings to encode choose for "external decoder" en click to your encoder (lame,...) adjust settings and ...rip in mp3

etxrmm

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 02:37:38 am »

Re the Lame MP3 encoder. Has anyone budged on this at J River? I understand that they must pay a license for every copy of the encoder supplied, but it seems that as a user / upgrader to MJ8 followed by MC 9, MC10, MC11, paying along the way for all the great improvements, that I have already paid for the MP3 encoder license. Moving on to 12, I really only need it for music, so I don't need MC. MJ is just the ticket. I can see that new users may have to pay the $10 for the LAME encoder license, but the old supporters? We've paid for the license. J River shouldn't have to pay LAME for the license again on our behalf (we've already bought it)...

If we could use our MC11 restore codes to restore an MP3 encoder in MJ12 we have already paid for, that would be great!!! Maybe we can now, and I have only missed it searching through the forum. Please advise.

- Richard
Pages: [1]   Go Up