INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: High-end hoodoo  (Read 2144 times)

JONCAT

High-end hoodoo
« on: March 13, 2008, 12:28:39 pm »

I was wondering if JRiver could explain why it's unnecessary to cache an entire file to ram for playback, as well as using .wav files to preserve high quality bit-perfect playback (as opposed to .flac or .ape). I know a rebuttal of some this hoodoo was posted here but I can't seem to find it.

thanks
DC

bbrip

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re: High-end hoodoo
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 09:29:43 am »

Because flac or ape is as bit perfect as wav.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 11:02:17 am »

Here is one thread:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=33145.0

Matts says:

"The sound will be identical regardless of whether the file is in memory or on disk.  It's the same input bits either way.  And MC is always bit-perfect.

You can force MC to use a bigger memory buffer, although it may not provide the results you expect.  MC already intelligently adapts its buffering based on the speed of the source and the speed of the machine.

Here's the registry key you can play with, but again we recommend using the default 6000 (6 seconds) for most all uses:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 12\Player Core\Secondary Buffer Minimum MS"

I found this parameter to be useful on a laptop with limited memory.  I have not it necessary to fiddle with this parameter on PCs with more memory and faster hard drives.

---
I don't work for JRiver but I wrote drivers drivers, other real-time s/w and kernel level s/w for 2+ decades.  Audio data is buffered in front of the actual DAC chip.  As long as you have enough buffering so that the DAC doesn't run dry, there is no direct benefit to more buffering.

Sometimes people who have heard a difference in audio output propose that there are differences because a difference in CPU loading or disk activity causes the power supply to perform slightly differently.  These discussions often fail to acknowledge that the CPU doesn't stop if there is no productive work to do (idle task), and the disk drive doesn't stop spinning if the system is not doing disk I/O.  (You can set system parameters to let the disk stop after 5-10 minutes of inactivity.  However, if you are concerned about changing demands affecting the power supply, this is just the wrong thing to do.)

Bill

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 04:11:14 pm »

It would appear the jury is still out re:RAM disks being necessarily better than not :)

JONCAT

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 09:44:57 am »

I had observed some strange buffering issues with my external firewire (400) enclosure. I put a flashlight down on it, rather gently, and playback skipped and became garbled instantly like there was no buffer.  (not like how CD players used to stop and restart when shock detected) I’ll have to check the registry but I’m sure it will read the default because I have never changed it. I don’t think I changed the default  settings in MC either.

And here’s my response to this post on Computer audiophile forums if anyone is half-interested (http://www.computeraudiophile.com/node/108?page=4) [at bottom]:

You don't need an "audio grade" rom-drive to rip audio. EAC or JRiver will give you identical results with any half decent ripper.

As a matter of fact, one of the WORST drives I ever bought was a Plextor slot loading 716-AL. VERY fussy drive in light of the hype they get as makes of solid gear.

I'm also curious how RAM is better then a HD? It's a matter of fact that RAM can make physical noise just like a hard drive. I've heard very high pitched squeals and cyber-moans from memory dimms under testing with a software mem tester. If playing with a wav editor like Sequoia makes you feel like the music  sounds better, so be it, I don't have the time to take untaggable medium like wav and load one or two files at a time into a wav editor. Like I said, if it works for you....but I feel most of what you have just claim has very little empirical OR subjective evidence to back it up (given double blind testing).

BUT, you can read this and simply use a larger buffer with JRiver: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=45601.0

APE and FLAC are as bit perfect as wav as one poster says here.
The argument the cpu loading, HD disks, etc. have some affect on DAC is highly suspect......is the DAC done onboard the motherboard, on a PCI sound card, an external sound card, on an external standalone DAC? If the audio is being buffered the only possibility is power supply loading as a poster mentions at YADB possibly coloring the sound...but cpus aren't being loading very much even with lossless format playback.

DC

Pages: [1]   Go Up