INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BSOD on VISTA While updating thumbs. [solved by Vista or Nvidia update]  (Read 2254 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!

i'm using vista ultimate, have been for soem time, i recently tried auto import for my files, i have 99,654 files

IT auto imports fine when it gets to the updating thumbnails, it getsto about 12,000 and then my computer gets the BSOD.

Please help i have a huge party this weekend and i need to auto import my files fo rit.  ihave tried mediacenter library restore, that works, then i try to auto import works fine until updating thumbnails

Any usggestions please? i nedd to be back up and running.

Thank you, See error below.

It says error

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   BlueScreen
  OS Version:   6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
  Locale ID:   1033

Additional information about the problem:
  BCCode:   4e
  BCP1:   00000002
  BCP2:   01BCB145
  BCP3:   0007FD77
  BCP4:   0000A9DB
  OS Version:   6_0_6000
  Service Pack:   0_0
  Product:   256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
  C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini031308-01.dmp
  C:\Users\Xtacy\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-68874-0.sysdata.xml
  C:\Users\Xtacy\AppData\Local\Temp\WER34E4.tmp.version.txt

DarkPenguin

Re: BSOD on VISTA While updating thumbs. PLEASE HELP
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 03:56:43 pm »

Split up the files you want to import and do them in sections.  See what is killing you.

However, do keep in mind that BSOD's are almost always HW or driver issues.  So you might have more luck updating your assorted drivers.  We can crash but since we aren't in the kernel we really can't take the machine with us.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 04:49:43 pm »

when you say update thumbs in sections, how do i go  about doing that? ive always just went to run auto import now. could you give me the steps please.

And when you say drivers, do you mean drivers for os? and vid card network etc...

DarkPenguin

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 11:47:42 pm »

OS drivers.

rjm

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 01:05:40 am »

The probability is high that the crash occurs when building a thumbnail for a video file. Try importing only the audio files. This should get you fixed up for your party. You can then take your time to figure out which video file or driver is causing the problem.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 01:30:15 pm »

i took your suggestions on just importing audio files, it imports them analyze them then gets to the thumbnails state there was 58,974 audio files it tried updating thumbs on, once it got to 5796 i got a yahoo messenger quit working error, then at 5824 i got a superfetch uit working error, then at 6006 i got a dns client quit working error, i checked my dual processor %'s and they both were at 100% ??

I've never seen my processor reach that? and i do video editing and graphics work and usually have multiple program open, I also tried nto downloading anything closing all programs and then doing auto  import, and it still gives me the BSOD. While doing the updating of thumbs, i notice my screen flash a couple time before getting the "programs have quit working"  once i reboot machine and open up j rivers, and goto recently imported, it showed only 86 file simported, and none of them had thumbs either.

Any other suggestions guys?

Thanks so much for all replies thus far.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 03:17:50 pm »

Something with connections deep down is getting its undies in a bunch.

Is this a new library?  If it isn't you might want to make a new library just to see what happens.  If you have logging on it might tell you which file it was last dealing with (or therebouts) which might give you an indication that something is up.

What type of antivirus, firewall, malware protection are you running?  They tend to dig deep and could be giving you fits.  Are there any odd errors in the windows event log?

Are your files local or remote?  It could be maxing out the connection.  The cpu being at 100% for audio files makes me wonder.  And all the net errors.  I wonder if there isn't a NIC HW or driver issue.  A bitchy firewall or (and I've no proof they do this) draconian comcast style connection kiboshing on too many DNS requests could be fun.

The HW could just be flakey.

I would consider a new library (if you can) and do not auto import things.  Import directories a few at a time.  (Like by band if that's how you have your directories organized.)

I don't know what to tell you.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 03:36:56 pm »

just wanted to get back with you guys and to help others

Not sure what has ahppened, but after vista service pack 2 update, and after updating nvidia control drivers. jriver has updated libray and thumbs with ease! all working ok now :)

Thanks for replies and help in this matter guys.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 04:04:11 pm »

just wanted to get back with you guys and to help others

Not sure what has ahppened, but after vista service pack 2 update, and after updating nvidia control drivers. jriver has updated libray and thumbs with ease! all working ok now :)

Thanks for replies and help in this matter guys.

Vista is the tool of the devil.

Glad you got it running.

HTPC4ME

i concur dark.. thanks for sticking it out with me. and the tips. take care.
Pages: [1]   Go Up