INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: All Hats Off To JRiver and Media Jukebox  (Read 1401 times)

JaredH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Superfluously Articulate
All Hats Off To JRiver and Media Jukebox
« on: August 03, 2002, 10:56:34 pm »

Ive been a member of the interact board for about 6 months now. I started using MJ back in February. Im sure you all have seen me pop in and say a few things from time to time. I just wanted to make a heartfelt attempt at letting you guys know that you absolutely ROCK! I love MJ. Its by far the best media player/jukebox/handler ive seen on the market, bar none. It does 99.9% of everything i wished a program would do. And the things that it doesnt do that i wished it did, it actually did in older versions, and from what I hear may be back in V9. I know this may sound quirky but one of the main reasons i love the program so much is how well it meshes with the windows interface. Ive heard a few complaints here and there from people on here. But this program works like a jewel for me. The organization capabilities are superb (although it could use some deeper abilities, but im just real picky, stuff no one else would probably ever use.) And after reading that you are working on incorporating "AcdSee" type image capabilities, well to be quite honest, the emotions i felt were almost orgasmic. The Kingpin of all media organizers will soon take its place at the top of the mountain. Just so youre not wondering, the couple of things i was referring to is bringing back the ability to remove the parts of the tree in the left pane that arent used, i.e. tv tuner, start, web media, etc. The second thing i was referring to is something that would take a considerable amount of time to explain, and perhaps if you care to take the time to read it, you can ask and ill gladly repost an explanation of what it is. This is one hardcore program with hardcore abilities. And to all of the Naysayers out there i have only one thing to say, if you dont like it, go back to using your simpleton programs like Winamp. I read in an article somewhere that someone noted MJ as having a confusing interface and took too much time to learn. Bah! Only if your mind works on a 1st grade level and youre too lazy to take 10 minutes to read a simple helpfile. This program surpasses all other programs and will continue to do so until either Jim has a massive coronary and can no longer meet and greet his beloved constituents, or Nikolay suffers from the worlds worst case of Carpel Tunnel. You guys keep on truckin along, and Ill support you until the cows come home. Have a wonderful end of the weekend.
J. A. Hayslett

Blog & Gallery - http://www.bgracetfaith.net

sekim

RE:All Hats Off To JRiver and Media Jukebox
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2002, 03:24:36 am »

Wow Jared, were you sneaking into the wine cellar again? hehehehe

OK I'll bite, whatelse do you want that isn't available now? If that pizza burner / cd drive combo is it, you may have to wait until v10-11.

Should point out that while I agree that Winamp is a simple program, it is just a player. So a true comparison between the two isn't really fair. Winamp is probably the top dog when it comes to playback of almost any type of music file. I really mean this, have you ever looked at how many times it has been downloaded from the Cnet download site? YIKES!! If it didn't do something right, it would not have been DL'd this much. It would be really cool if MJ had this many.  

I tried Winamp not long ago. Mainly because I was about to wipe everything off my drive. The one thing I noticed that it did really well was visualizations. Whatever they use for a vis engine is amazing.

JaredH

• Superfluously Articulate
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2002, 03:51:35 am »

OK, so i retract my statement about Winamp being an inferior program. It does do visualizations very well and yes it plays files fine, But geezy peezy have you ever tried to organize with that mess. Its virtually impossible. Never wants to read tag info right. And geez, musicmatch is just as bad, all those dockable windows and crap. Most of those companies are too worried about the glitzy effects of the program and not the actual usability and practicality.
J. A. Hayslett

Blog & Gallery - http://www.bgracetfaith.net

sekim

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2002, 04:18:44 am »

Can't say anything about MM. Never tried it. And don't want to. And I didn't have Winamp in long enough to play with all the things it has. I did notice that it changed all of MJs file extensions to its own. ARRRGHHH!!! That alone was enough to make it a P.O.S. for me. I like things the way I have them set up now.

Forgot to add, you are right about a big kudos to J River guys. They are getting the job done right. Mostly. There are a few things trivial that I would like to see, but for my current needs it is almost perfect.

Maybe because I'm getting more familiar with MJ, I see things that could use a tweekin' here or there. I like to read how other users are doing things with MJ. I try to glean this info and see if it is something that I could use. Many times it is. One of the best tips I picked up was from Doof. I hadn't figured out how to set the sorting of files to be permanent when I fired up MJ. That's when he posted these settings...

Artist

Year

Album

Track #

This was just what I was looking for. Forgot to mention Callithumpian also. Pointed me to the sorting in options. Thanks to both, I have MJ looking like I wanted it to.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2002, 07:51:58 am »

Winamp Reminds Me Of A Dead Animal On The Side of The Road Compaired To MJ.

Listening to: 'Pick Up The Pieces' from 'The Best Of' by 'Average White Band' on Media Jukebox
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

nila

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2002, 03:52:40 pm »

I love MJ as much as the rest of you but to be completely fair, Winamp is an incredible piece of software and is made extremely well and does it's purpose VERY well. It's a simple audio player and that's all it's meant to be and it does the job perfectly, low memory overhead, clear playback. Highly customisable and easy to add extra functionality to via plugins.

As a player WinAmp is hard to beat.
As a jukebox, MJ is impossible to beat.

Deerhunter

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2002, 05:47:02 pm »

Great program. Renewed my interest in music. Have recommended it to all my friends who are into digital music.

Listening to: 'Pistol Packin' Mama (Andrews S' by 'Bing Crosby' on Media Jukebox

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2002, 08:09:22 pm »

@deerhunter: It's _excactly_ that, what I feel about MJ. I have never listened to music so much the last few years. I listen to all my "goodies" from my youth again, even that's only a few years away.
Thanks JRiver.

Scronch

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2002, 08:33:26 pm »

>All Hats Off To JRiver and Media Jukebox

hear hear!

Scronch

datatrader

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2002, 02:37:19 pm »

I recently upgraded from 7.2 to version 8 and I have to say that it looks great. I'm quick to complain about this or that issue and will continue to do so (with all due respect).
I too would like to give all a big thank you for all your efforts !
Pages: [1]   Go Up