INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: APE ripping questions  (Read 723 times)

gkerber

APE ripping questions
« on: August 03, 2002, 01:56:07 pm »

When ripping using APE encoding, there are choices for "quality".  If MPE is lossless, what does the quality selection mean?

sekim

RE:APE ripping questions
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2002, 02:00:38 pm »

Just how much it will compress. Fast = less compression. High = more compression. Really boils down to how much space you want save. Also, if you later decide to convert files to another format, the higher the setting the longer it will take to convert.

gkerber

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2002, 02:03:26 pm »

Thanks for the informaiton.  It makes sense.  I think I must use APE compression, I'd lay awake at night worrying about the missing bits with a lossy compression method.

sekim

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2002, 02:14:40 pm »

To be honest, the gain from one setting to the other is rather small. Just a few percent. Ape is like a zip file, there is only so much you can mash it into. Typically ripping at the fast setting will save you some time. Although you could go the uncompressed wave to ape route. This is fast, and you don't have to babysit the cd drive during the final stages.

I've done that just recently. Rip to wave and convert to ape. Loaded about 300 songs then did the convert. Took about half an hour.
Pages: [1]   Go Up