INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: webremote questions  (Read 1004 times)

gkerber

webremote questions
« on: August 03, 2002, 01:37:02 pm »

I think I MUST get the webremote thing working.  It will be expensive, buty I MSUT have it, the coolness factor alone makes it worth it....

Questions

I found a Casio BE-300 for $200.  It has a compact flash port for a wireless plug in and runs Windows software.  It has a browser built in, not IE, but it's own browser.  Assuming I got it and the wireless adapter and a wireless lan for my pc, what would the url be to run webremote?  I don't think it would be "localhost".

Any thoughts on this setup?  Will it work?  Anything else I need?

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:webremote questions
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2002, 02:21:40 pm »

If it's winCE and it runs a browser, it should work.

You can see how this all works if you have two pc's networked.

Try a search for web remote here to see if you can learn more but the basics are:

Download the plugin called webremote.  Make sure you have a current version of 8.0.

When installed, you'll find it under plugins in the MJ tree.  That's where you configure it.  Add a port (8080, for example) and then start it.

Go to another PC, fire up your browser, enter the IP address and the port number separated by a colon.  For example:

199.242.131.157:8080

You can't share the port with any other software, and the path between the machines needs to be open for that port, so if you're going through an ISP, for example, if they block the port, you won't get it to go.

Good luck.

You might read threads here on Glissando.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Mike Noe

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2002, 03:26:47 pm »

Yeah, it should work.  Man, it was easy.  I already had the WiFi LAN here at home, running XP Pro (SP1) on my desktop which does ICS as well as running MJ.  MJ webremote plugin loaded right up on the IP of the desktop (you can just "start" the plugin).  We don't use DHCP and my WAP is set as a "router" since we're dial-up to the internet.  The PDA should be configured with the gateway and DNS as your desktop if it's doing ICS, then you can browse the web too.  Simple, but darn is it cool.

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2002, 11:39:01 pm »

Before you go and splurge $200 on a PDA handheld device consider...

There are other things out there for media control than just the web remote (search under glissando also... Very cool) and for real user control ability a touchpad is THE way to go...

Stylistic Point 510's were recently dumped in the 1000's by nabisco I did a power buy where rough ones were about $90 and A1 pristine ones were about $120... I have 2 of these and with an 802.11 card you have a SVGA touchscreen remote controller for you audio...

If you really have some money and want the ultimate look for Sonic Blue Progear tablet these are XGA TFT (as opposed to the 510's SVGA DSTN) with a 400 MHz transmeta processor, built in 802.11, metal casing, and can be windows or linux... They were also dumped recently (suspect Dot Bomb) and were going for 599... Thats a lot of money agreed but as a X10 / remote controller / couch websurfing / Glissando playing / Etc toy these are the dogs danglies...

http://www.sonicblue.com/b2b/progear/default.asp I believe they are still findable in some places at arounf this price... Drop me a mail if you want me to find one...

The difference between a full XGA touchpanel and a PDA is not small..
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2002, 11:46:35 pm »

Here is another source... http://www.mira2go.com/

Dont forget any PDA you buy will also need a wireless NIC (CF card or whatever) wherase the Progears have this built in (though you still need to have 802.11 at home too...)
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

Mike Noe

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2002, 02:34:32 am »

Interesting...learn something new everyday.  The touchpad controller might be a better solution for a "single" purpose device, meaning it will stay at home all of the time.

BTW, the Toshiba e740 comes with built-in 802.11b support, no need to purchase a separate wireless card.

Listening to: 'I Want To Talk About You' from 'Live At Birdland' by 'John Coltrane' on Media Jukebox
Pages: [1]   Go Up