INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing Library Playlists to New PC with different MP3 file locations  (Read 1046 times)

snooden

• Recent member

Did a quick search on this and didn't find anything.

I've been a long customer of JRiver all the way back to the early MJ8 days.  As such, I've developed a pretty substantial library including hundreds of playlists.

I've now purchased a new PC, and a clean version of MC12 is installed.  What is the best way to get all my media and playlists over?  My concern is that the playlists will not work because the individual song file path names will be different on the new PC.  I am moving from a setup where all my media was on a second D: drive, while now I am moving the music to a primary C: drive. 

Can I move all the song files to the My Music folder on the new PC, copy over the library backup from the old PC and restore the backup?  Will MC12 be able to re-link all the playlists to the files now that they have different file paths?

Also, is there a way to import other MC12 data and settings to the new PC?

Thanks much in advance!

john h

• Junior Woodchuck

If the PCs are networked, choose library tools, select rename files from properties, and choose the new computer's drive when selecting the new name for the files.  otherwise, the file names can stay the same if you choose the same options when renaming your files, and MC moves the files with all your playlists and other tags and stuff.

If the computers aren't networked, just use the same technique to rename the files to reflect where they will be stored on the new computer.  at least when you restore the library, the links to the new file locations will still be valid.
johnh

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird

You can copy the media files outside MC and use the Rename Files From Properties tool for replacing the drive letter and/or base path after you have restored the old library on the new PC:

In theory it would also be possible to copy most of the user options from the Windows registry, but because that may not work properly if you don't know exactly what you are doing I would recommended just making notes of your old options and replicating them manually on the new PC.

EDIT

You should disable Auto-Importer before proceeding. Otherwise it may interfere the process (depending on its settings).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

snooden

• Recent member

Thanks to you both - very helpful (Particularly the image)...! 
Pages: [1]   Go Up