INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Writing tags back to Video iPod  (Read 2712 times)

Thlayli

Writing tags back to Video iPod
« on: April 10, 2008, 07:28:15 pm »

Hi, new user here.  I'm on the trial period right now and trying to figure out if this software is for me.

I installed MC 12.0.451 with no problems and it recognized my iPod right away.  I didn't have any problems syncing podcasts but I am having a problem changing tags for music already on my ipod (MP3 format).  I have some of my library on my PC but not all of it, so there are songs on my iPod that aren't on my Hard drive, and I don't want to have to restore my iPod and sync 30GB worth of data, especially when I don't have all of it on my PC.  The only problem I'm having is editing tags on my iPod.  I edit the details in the Tag window and it looks like it will make the change (eg. Genre, Artist) but when I eject my ipod and take a look, the changes are gone.

I have checked all the options people have suggested, it is set to write changes back to file and I went into the plugin manager and checked the MP3 input plugin that it was saving the tags. 
Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.   

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Writing tags back to Video iPod
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 07:31:24 pm »

Welcome to Interact.  If you do Help/Check for Updates in MC, it should offer an update to 12.0.474.  It may not solve your problem, but it has better iPod support.

If you do have your library all on your PC, MC will sync just what it needs to.

Thlayli

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 07:46:40 pm »

I guess I can go back to iTunes.  I was really hoping to get away from it and this was looking like my best bet.  This program has great reviews so I had high hopes, but I'm a little disappointed with the lack of software support.  Maybe I asked the wrong question or just a stupid one, because I don't see anyone else posting with this question.  I can't be the only person who wants to edit files on their iPod directly. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 08:16:55 pm »

I'm not sure what you're trying to do, but 12.0475 is available on the MC12 board.  Did you try it?

Thlayli

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 10:57:47 am »

I just did the upgrade to the newest version but it didn't help.  What I'm trying to do is edit files on the iPod.  For example, I want to change the genre of something, or edit the artist name of the actual file on the iPod, without having to sync.  I have a lot of files that are on my iPod but have since been deleted from my iPod, or renamed in the library so I would just end up with duplicates all over the place. 

Example:  some songs on my iPod have "Pixies" as the artist and some have "The Pixies"   I changed my library long ago to reflect just The Pixies, but never updated the files on my iPod (this was back when  iTunes would remove files you weren't syncing.)  So, all I want to do it take the handful of songs that are on the iPod and rename the artist so I don't have 2 directories. 

tensho

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 05:48:04 am »

I understand what Thlayli is talking about. I have a 5g ipod video and the problem is that there appears to be no way of editing tag information and have the changes recognised by the ipod. I have tried iTunes, Winamp and Media Monkey and all have this capability. However, Media Center is better all-in-one package. It would be great to be able to edit files on the ipod and completely do away with iTunes.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 07:16:47 am »

I'm not sure what that is.  MP3 files have two different kinds of tags.  ID3v1 and ID3v2. 

Also, MC may not be set to store the tag info in the file.  It's an MC option.

tensho

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 08:37:06 am »

Let me try to use an example.

Say I rip an album by 2pac without track information (i.e the tracks are saved as "Unknown Artist - Track 01 etc.) and subsequently copy the tracks to my ipod. I then delete the tracks from my hard disk.

Later I decide to add track info to the tracks I put on the ipod. Media Center appears to tag the mp3s but when I play then on the ipod they still appear as "Unknown Artist - Track 01".

The question is how do I get the changes I made to be displayed when view the album on the ipod when I play the tracks.

SwellGuy

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 09:19:26 am »

You would have to transfer the files back to MC, tag them and then re-sync.
Pages: [1]   Go Up