INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what do these checkboxes mean in media center? relating to auto import  (Read 1034 times)

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen

i'm trying to fix some behavior in media center and didn't know really what these boxes were physically doing.

anyone care to explain (maybe in layman's terms)

in the auto-import options what is...

run auto-import in background (isn't it always running in the background when you import? ive always been able to play music and do other things while MC was importing)

"analyze audio" (isn't this just finding the BPM/intensity level of the songs as you import them?) if so, in version .476 in XP SP2, it still tries to do this, whether the box is checked or not)

build thumbnails

get cover art (i'd like it to do this, but if there is already cover art on the album, i don't want it to go out there and replace it.)

update for external changes (does this mean if you change tag data outside MC it will update it here? unsure...)

fix broken links/protect network files (no idea?)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

# run auto-import in background
When checked, MC will automatically detect any changes to files/folders in the 'watched folders' list and update the library/import new files automatically. If unchecked, this will not happen, nor will any of the other task options, unless you click on "Tools > Run Auto Import Now"

# analyze audio
When checked, MC will analyze audio files and store BPM, intensity, peak level and replay gain values in the library.

# Build Thumbnails
MC builds thumbnails on the fly as you view files. If this option is checked, MC will build thumbnails for the entire library in the background, which initially, can be a big job, but also a one time only job. This should speed up view building and switching as the thumbnails will not need to be built on the fly.

# Get Cover Art
There have been many changes to the coverart system in recent builds, but my understanding is that it won't fetch cover art if a file already has art associated.

# Update for external changes
If you close MC, then open a different application and make some tag changes to files in MCs watched folder list, then start MC, MC will detect those tag changes and update the library accordingly.

# Fix broken links
If you use explorer to delete a file that is in your MC library, MC will detect that, and remove the 'broken link' from the library.
If the links are broken because a network or removable drive happens to be offline when MC is running, MC will remove the items from the library, unless you choose the option to 'protect network files'

===============

It's very important to understand that these options are not restricted to only the folders in your watched folders list. These are library maintainence tasks that are applied across the entire library.

You mention that the analyze audio option is always on regardless. This should not be the case and could be a bug. I've turned mine off atm as it's causing a crash everytime it runs and I've not got round to trouble shooting it yet. This will be investigated now that it's been highlighted.

-marko.
Pages: [1]   Go Up