INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: library back up lost  (Read 2089 times)

ginty32

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I guess after 8 years I could type something.
library back up lost
« on: April 24, 2008, 12:18:52 pm »

MC 12 crashed on me and wouldn't restart even after re-booting computer.  I uninstalled the program and then re-installed it.  I tried to find my library backup and it looks like it was removed with the uninstall.  How can I avoid this next time?  Should I save my library file in a different folder than the default?  Shouldn't the default location be safe to avoid this problem?  If I searched my computer what is the name of the file given to library backups?

Thanks,
Ginty32

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: library back up lost
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 12:25:35 pm »

The crash, and not restarting has happened to me three times this last week. The only way I got ti to restart was to unistall MC and delete the registry entries too. This is an option when you remove MC. However, to keep your library intact, do not check the option that enables deletion of the library. Sounds obvious right?
I found that this allowed me to install MC and finally run it again, without removing my library. In addition, after large import/tagging session, I try to back up the library to a network drive. That way I won't lose as much time in case something happens to my library.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 12:31:17 pm »

There was a problem where the crash detected dialog would not allow the program to start.

Either:
1) Install 485 or newer which fixes this
or
2) Click "Cancel" on the crash detected dialog to launch the program
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 12:32:05 pm »

The crash, and not restarting has happened to me three times this last week. The only way I got ti to restart was to unistall MC and delete the registry entries too.
If you can't get it to restart, you may have a build with a bug in the crash dialog at startup.  12.0.485 is on the MC12 board and fixes that, but you can just hit escaped when you see the startup dialog to get around the bug.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 12:32:29 pm »

Or you can do what Matt said here:
There was a problem where the crash detected dialog would not allow the program to start.

Either:
1) Install 485 or newer which fixes this
or
2) Click "Cancel" on the crash detected dialog to launch the program

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 12:36:53 pm »

In response to the original question about backups, the uninstaller provides two options:

1) Erase registry entries
2) Erase library files

If you pick #2, everything under Application Data, including backups, is removed.  This is needed to provide a full uninstall.

Sorry if this nipped you.  Backups are named like MC Library Backup*.zip if you want to search.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ginty32

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I guess after 8 years I could type something.
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 04:52:40 pm »

I did remove everything so My MC 12 stuff is gone, but MC 11 backup was there.  It brought back some good memories of past playlists.

In the future if I save a backup file and rename it will it be deleted if I completely uninstall again?

Eccles

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Mostly harmless.
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 11:05:22 pm »

In response to the original question about backups, the uninstaller provides two options:

1) Erase registry entries
2) Erase library files

If you pick #2, everything under Application Data, including backups, is removed.  This is needed to provide a full uninstall.

Sorry if this nipped you.
Perhaps those menu options need to be expanded, because I for one think it's reasonable to expect that backups should be left intact after an uninstall.  Perhaps a third option is needed, or at the very least change option 2 to read "Erase library files and backups) or "Erase all data (including backups)".

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 12:16:15 am »

I manually make library backups from time to time, but do so to a network share. That way it's a) not in the default backup folder, so it shouldn't be erased, and b) other PCs on my network can use the same library too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up