INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rename files from properties quirk with Rating property.  (Read 1949 times)

MusicHawk

• Citizen of the Universe
Rename files from properties quirk with Rating property.
« on: April 05, 2008, 07:20:37 pm »

A vote for a small change in how the Rating property is used in Rename files from properties.

The Rating property can be set to no value, or 1 to 5 stars.

When I use this property in Rename files from properties, for a Rating of 1 to 5 I get that value in text as part of the file name. A Rating of 3 stars results in text "3" in the file name.

But when the Rating value is blank, the text used in the file name is "_stars". The word "stars" is not added to a Rating of 1 to 5, only to a "no rating" Rating.

My vote is that "not 1 to 5" be translated to "0" when used to Rename files.

For instance: The song "Yesterday" with Rating of 5 might be renamed to: "5-Yesterday.mp3".

But the song "Yesterday" with no Rating would be renamed to: "_stars-Yesterday.mp3". Wouldn't it be cleaner if it was "0-Yesterday.mp3"?

The annoyance is that the "_stars" files don't group or sort logically with similarly-named files with a Rating of 1 to 5.

I suppose the "_stars" behavior is because "no rating" is considered a null value, important in database design to distinguish "no data" from an intentional value of 0 or blank. But in MC's Rating property the user can't specify 0 -- the only choices are 1 to 5 and "x" which blanks out the ratings field. So, a "not 1 through 5" Rating specified by the user is indistinguishable from a null value. Therefore, why not just treat it as "0"?

Just a thought...
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

MusicHawk

Re: Rename files from properties quirk with Rating property.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 11:37:06 am »

Follow-up:

I tried to override the "rename files from properties" behavior that converts a blank/0 [Rating] into path/filename text "_stars" rather than "0", by using the Replace function.

My Directories rule expression contains this (in a more complex expression): Replace([Rating],_stars,0)

However, when applied to a file that has a Rating of 0 but a folder named "_stars", MC tells me "no change".

Maybe MC's Rename tool sees "_stars" and "0" as equal; why?

Or maybe the value-to-text conversion happens later in the process, beyond user control. Perhaps the database stores "0" for a blank Rating, but the Rename process, AFTER applying any user expressions (such as Replace), then converts a Rating of "0" to "_stars". If this is what's happening, it seems arbitrary and undesirable.

Can anyone clarify what's happening? Is there a sure-fire way to do this?

I still think that a Rating of 0/blank should result in "0" when using [Rating] in Rename, just as a Rating of 1 results in "1", etc.

But a strong second choice is to respect the user's entire Rename expression, and not override it behind the curtain. (With the exception of not allowing "illegal" filename characters.)

Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 12:27:55 pm »

In tests I made just now, it's "_ stars" not, "_stars" (note the space) does it work now?

If not, try incorporating this: if(isequal([rating],stars,8),0 - [name],[rating] - [name])

It works for me like that, but it does not work if I used underscore instead of stars. ?

-marko.

MusicHawk

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 01:19:12 pm »

Your workaround is clever, thanks. Sorry about my typo, but in the actual Replace expression I used "_ stars" (and also tried other variations just in case) with no success.

In my tests, Replace sees a blank Rating value as equal to text "_ stars" so won't alter it. I tried "stars" rather than "_ stars" in the Replace expression, but that results in "_ 0". The underscore-space seems hard-wired in, or is applied after Replace is evaluated.

However, in your expression MC treats a Rating of blank as equal to "stars", and not equal to "_ stars" -- another mystery.

If Replace and IsEqual evaluate Rating-related values differently, that seems like a bug.

I see this as another reason to output "0" as the expression/text value of a blank Rating, consistent with how other Rating values are handled.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 02:11:05 am »

However, in your expression MC treats a Rating of blank as equal to "stars", and not equal to "_ stars" -- another mystery.

No mystery. the ,8 that follows stars tells the expression editor to use a case-insensitive sub-string compare, ie. if the output value contains 'stars', then use 0, otherwise, use [rating].

The same expression works if you use an escaped space, "/ ", instead of 'stars', but does not work if you use an underscore.
I think you may have found a bug there in that respect, as the tool's failure to pick up the underscore is the most likely reason that your replace() function is not working.

-marko.

MusicHawk

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 11:40:21 am »

Sorry to be unclear, I understand the syntax of IsEqual and what the 8 means.

The mystery is why MC seems to output/handle the Rating value differently in Replace vs. IsEqual, perhaps a bug, coupled with the "peculiar" output of "_ stars" for Rating = blank/0 when otherwise the output is a text number ("1", etc). Both behaviors make it difficult to work with Rating in an expression.

Thanks to your suggestion, I have a workaround, but maybe an MC developer will reconsider how this works.
Pages: [1]   Go Up