INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Web Remote plug-in - small bug  (Read 1168 times)

Mike Noe

Web Remote plug-in - small bug
« on: August 01, 2002, 08:47:20 am »

Love this plug-in, works great w/my wireless PDA, however, there is a small bug I've noticed.  Album titles and song titles with single quotes (') or double quotes (") causes problems with the parser and it doesn't show the songs.

-Mike

gkerber

RE:Web Remote plug-in - small bug
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2002, 03:53:19 pm »

Would you please direct me to the right place to learn about this wireless webremote and your pda?  Where can I learn what it is, how to get it and how to set it up?  Thanks!

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2002, 04:10:23 pm »

You can download web remote from our plug-ins page.  You'll then find it under the "plug-ins" in the tree.  Start it up.  Then try a test connection to it by using your browser and entering "http://localhost:[port]" where [port] is the socket/port you are running web remote on -- usually 80, but it can be moved anywhere.  81 or 82, for example, may be better choices.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

gkerber

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2002, 04:34:22 pm »

Thanks - okay I have the webremote working.  How would I get access to the webremote settings to change the port?

And most importantly, please guide me to where I can learn how you have it on you pda.  That sounds like one hell of a cool "remote control".

Thanks again.

JimH

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2002, 05:33:39 pm »

You change the port under "plug-ins" on the tree.  Just open web remote.

To access it from a PDA, you need a browser on the PDA and a connection by network to the machine where web remote is running.

In the browser window, enter:

http://[IP address or host name]:[port]
Jim Hillegass

gkerber

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2002, 06:25:55 pm »

I figured I need a pda and a browser running on it.  I went to BestBuy and CircuitCity tonight to learn about pda's for this use.  Their salespeople had no idea what I was saying when I said "I need a pda that can access a web page on my desktop pc".  This is all new to me.  They were telling me I need a "pocket pc" and not a pda.

What equipment do you have?  What do you think the cost of this would be?

Thanks for the information.

JimH

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2002, 06:57:23 pm »

They are probably more or less right about PocketPC instead of Palm, but I think you can also get wireless devices for Palm PDA's.

I have a Toshiba PocketPC with 802.11b built in, but you can add wireless adaptors to others.  Mine cost $595, I think.

You will also need a wireless "access point".  They cost around $150.  I use a Linksys.  Best Buy sells them.

Be prepared to do some studying of manuals.

I wrote up how I made my connection a month or so ago.  You might find it by searching for Toshiba.

Good luck!
Jim Hillegass

gkerber

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2002, 07:16:44 pm »

Wow, that's expensive to get set up.  And I'd need two, one for my living room and one for my bedroom.

Thanks for the info!
Pages: [1]   Go Up