INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audible downloads broken  (Read 10482 times)

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
Audible downloads broken
« on: May 22, 2008, 08:45:35 pm »

After upgrading to 504 I initially had problems with my podcasts such that none of them were being updated/downloaded. I reinstalled 504 and that problem was fixed, but I noticed one podcast from Audible was still not working. I tried to access the Audible site directly to download the podcast episode from there, but get a download dialog that says it doesn't know how to open a file "aw_dhelper.adh".

I'm running on a relatively newly built machine and I don't believe I've downloaded any Audible files on this machine since I first installed (aside from the Audible podcasts, that did used to work). So possibly I've never been able to download from Audible directly on this machine.

One other thing that seems related is that the Audible podcast is trying to download the files, but it says they are 47 bytes. I managed to check one and it is a text file that seems to define the URL to really download the file from.

After doing some searching on Audible's help site they have a few tips about similar problems, but their solutions all say thay you need to make sure the .adh extension is associated with the Audible Download Helper. On my system, however, no .adh extension is defined at all.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Audible downloads broken in 504
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 07:10:18 am »

Try installing the Audible Manager.  Please let us know what happens.

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 07:38:42 am »

I tried that and it didn't seem to help at all. I then uninstalled it.

I just got home after work and my Audible podcasts are working again (problem on Audible's side?). But, I still can't download from Audible's page. It's still trying to open/save the .adh file.

My only thought at this point is to try installing AudibleManager first and then reinstall MC.

Can some other Audible user check if they have the .adh extension registered in Windows? Do you have AudibleManager installed? What does the .adh extension registration point to?

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 05:06:13 am »

I've been out of town for a while and just got back and had a chance to try this again. I've reinstalled Audible Manger (not the standalond download mangers for iTunes or WMP). I can now download from the Audible site from either within MC or from IE, but the download is done by the Audible manager, not MC. Is there a setting in MC to tell it to perform the download instead of Audible?

BTW, I'm running MC 512 now.

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 10:20:46 am »

Uninstall the Audible Manager software then go to your Audible account and in Account Details -> Preferences make sure Software Verification is off.

I'm not sure when Audible added that "feature", but it prevents MC from downloading the files if it's on.

-John

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Audible downloads broken in 512
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 02:45:42 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion, but this didn't help in my case. The Software Verification setting was already off (I also tried turning it on).

I've tried re/un-installing Audible Manager a number of times, and have come to this conclusion: If AM is installed, then it properly sets the registry file associations for the .ADH files that are initially dowloaded from the Audible site.  If it is uninstalled then the file association does not exist and Windows doesn't know what program to use to open these files.

I tried associating .ADH files with MC, but MC doesn't appear to know what to do with these files.

I don't believe I mentioned it earlier, and I don't know that it is related, but I'm running in Vista x64.

Anyone have any more ideas?

BTW, Audible podcasts are working fine. It is only manual downloads that are not.

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Audible downloads broken
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 04:04:50 pm »

Can anyone confirm that they are successfully able to download Audible files from the Audible site? If so, can you check what the .ADH file association points to?

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 08:27:03 pm »

Can anyone confirm that they are successfully able to download Audible files from the Audible site? If so, can you check what the .ADH file association points to?

I just confirmed that I can download files from audible via MC.  The file association for ".ADH" files is listed as "Download Manager for Audible content."  I DO have Audible Manager installed on this system -- this is a holdover from before MC handled Audible files on it's own.  My other system, however, has never had Audible Manager installed on it, and it also donwloads Audible files.

What IS broken, however, is the "Download location" for Audible files (highlight "Audible Store" and select "Options.")  MC is ignoring this location and downloading to the default windows "My Music" folder, which is annoying since unless I remember to specifically move aa files after downloading them, these files end up on an entirely different drive from the rest of my library.  This is a problem when I take a backup drive to another system in order to copy my library over -- i.e. any aa files that I forgot to move are missing.

Larry

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 09:53:28 pm »

Thanks lalittle. In your PC that does not have Audible Manager installed, what is the ADH association?

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 12:56:59 am »

Thanks lalittle. In your PC that does not have Audible Manager installed, what is the ADH association?

On the PC that never had Audible Manager installed, there is no association for ".ADH" files.  That file type is simply not in the list.

Is it possible that your problem is due to some firewall or other security setting?

Also, please note that BOTH the systems I tested are running XP, so if you're using Vista that could also potentially be an issue.

Larry

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 09:49:57 am »

Did you change user or privileges perhaps?

Try deleting the file described here:

http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Library_Server#Examining_the_Library

j

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 06:54:07 am »

Hmm, I'm a bit confused by this suggestion. I'm not using the Library Server functionality at all.

Anyway, I looked for the files mentioned in the referenced wiki page, but could not find them.

BTW, lalittle, I am using Vista (x64 too), so maybe that's part of the problem. Is anyone out there using Vista (32 or 64 bit) who is able to download Audible files?

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 10:13:28 am »

Qythyx - sorry, I posted a reply in the wrong thread. -- j

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 08:12:52 pm »

I just upgraded to 518 and I'm still having this problem.

Can anyone confirm that audible downloads work from withing MC who is running Vista, specifically Vista64?

Also, what else can I do to try to diagnose or solve this?

Eccles

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Mostly harmless.
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 09:41:40 am »

I know this topic is old, but it helped me resolve the same problem on my Vista64/MC12 machine so I thought I'd update with my experiences.

I have not installed Audible Manager, and when I clicked a Download link in the Audible Service within MC12, I too was getting taken to a screen that complained I did not have suitable software installed.

Following the suggestions above, I went into my Audible account settings, and found that Software Verification was already turned off.  I simply toggled it ON, then OFF again, and now it's all working as designed, with MC happily downloading the files directly into my library.
Pages: [1]   Go Up