INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zune Firmware 2.5  (Read 2440 times)

Paul M

• Recent member
  • Teacher
Zune Firmware 2.5
« on: May 26, 2008, 10:49:00 am »

On May 21 Zune updated its firmware with 2.5 that evidently changed and improved many features associated with the device.  One change was that the device now can handle Flac, Ape, Ogg, and various lossless file types.

It appears Zune may be more accessible since they eliminated so many restrictions associated with DRM and proprietary issues.

Could someone take a look at the 2.5 firmware and see if maybe Media 12 will now be able sync with Zune?  MC 12's file organization structure is so superior to anyone elses, it would be nice to be able to sync my Zune with MC 12.

Thanks.

Thought Passion Action
Thought, Passion, and Action

Paul M

• Recent member
  • Teacher
Re: Zune Firmware 2.5
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 12:04:15 am »

Just a follow up on my previous post.

I am in the process of re-ripping my classical music collection in the window lossless encoding MC12 has.  Tagging correction and incomplete data is easy with MC12.  And once I finish, the Zune software picks it up, exactly like I tagged it in MC12.  That's great, because then I just sync the album into the Zune device from the Zune software.  I'm listening to a Haydn Symphony ripped onto MC12, uploaded to Zune software (which is done automatically), and then synced onto the Zune device, which is click and drag the album cover.

I've got the Zune hooked up to a HeadRoom Total BitHead mobile amp with my Sennheiser HD 580 headphones hooked up to the amp. 

Great combination.

psm

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 09:14:16 am »

One change was that the device now can handle Flac, Ape, Ogg, and various lossless file types.

Could you post a reference to this?  When I searched, I only saw this thread.

To date, Microsoft has chosen to keep the Zune closed.  It uses the WMDM subsystem that JRiver nicely supports.  However, it requires a different set of encryption keys to write to it.  This was unnecessary and a bad decision in our opinion.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Paul M

• Recent member
  • Teacher
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 06:45:28 pm »

Matt,

I'll go back and look for the file type information I posted.  Soon as I find it (or can't), I'll reply again on the board.

Now, when I pull up the settings page on Zune and look at the Audio Formats for ripping, the choices are:  WMA Constant Bit, WMA Variable Bit, WMA Lossless, and MP3.

The files types that Zune software can play by default are:  m3u, m4a, m4b, m4v, mp3, mp4, wma, wmv.

So, nowhere on the software can I find that it accepts the other types previously mentioned.  If I find the source, I'll shoot it back at you.

Also, using a different set of encryption keys was a bad decision on their part; one reason why is because Zune currently suffers from expanded tagging (meta tagging) functions.  Very limited.  That's why I'm glad it at least uploads my MC 12 tags as is.  So, basically, MC 12 helps keep my Zune organized.  I love it.

Sorry if I caused any confusion about the file types.  Just happy with my MC12 and Zune.

psm

Frobozz

• Citizen of the Universe
  • There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 07:26:31 pm »

This is good good news that Zune now does gapless playback.  Have you tested the gapless playback with LAME encoded MP3s?

I'm in the market for a flash based MP3 player.  I currently have an iPod Classic.  I need a flash based player for active use that does gapless.  I'd be quite willing to consider a Zune just for kicks.  I'd get some bonus points for joining the social.  I live in the heart of Microsoft land and have several friends that work at Microsoft.  They all have Zunes.

With the Zune supporting gapless the only complaints I have is that it is locked to the Zune software and that it doesn't support a simple line-out port except as part of a powered dock.  I want to be able to plug in my portable headphone amp straight into a line-out rather than reamplifying a headphone jack.  Nitpicking, yes.  That's why I currently have an iPod.
Pages: [1]   Go Up