INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with 512 and ipod coverart sync  (Read 18705 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Problems with 512 and ipod coverart sync
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2008, 08:33:21 pm »

Do other people think it started around build 512?  My understanding was that it was a long standing issue on some machines.

One recent change is that the database is automatically compacted on the final save at the end of a transfer.  This used to only be performed when run manually.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

edbro

« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2008, 08:40:33 pm »

I honestly don't remember, but I have found similar threads dating back to Jan.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=44575.0

edbro

« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2008, 10:13:12 pm »

In yet another attempt, I cleared the device again and tried to sync all. It reported that it would take a couple of hours so I went away. When I came back MC was not running. Another silent crash. I resumed sycning files and now all my files have Jim Croce as their coverart. The mini-thumbs are okay but the larger coverart is all Jim Croce.

I might add that all my coverart is embedded in the mp3s and no conversion is taking place as all the mp3s are in the cache. I may have to load iTunes.

echamp1

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2008, 04:54:18 am »

I'm testing the new build out myself with my 16gb iPod Touch (jailbroken).  I tried syncing videos, pictures, and music from a fresh clean slate, though it crashed several times on picture transfer (there was a one picture MC didn't like).

I haven't used MC to sync my iPod quite often yet (I'm forced to use iTunes until MC has better compatibility), but are the videos not supposed to have thumbnails?  I see the temp folder creating thumbnails for the videos, but the iPod doesn't show any even after a successful transfer of just videos.

I'm working on transferring everything over to see if it all works.  I'll get back to the board once I find out how it all went.

m1abrams

• World Citizen
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2008, 09:37:04 am »

Do other people think it started around build 512?  My understanding was that it was a long standing issue on some machines.

One recent change is that the database is automatically compacted on the final save at the end of a transfer.  This used to only be performed when run manually.

I did not start noticing this problem with the repeatability that it now occurs until 512.  I will initialize and resync my ipod this evening using 522 (or newer if you release a newer version before then).

echamp1

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2008, 12:28:41 pm »

My test didn't work out.  All of my sync attempts failed.  On several occasions, MC would silently crash with no warning at all.  Other times music sync would stop mid way and close the transfer as if it had finished (although it was far from it).  Once or twice I even came across "Error" on the sync details screen where the files would usually say "waiting" or "completed".

Maybe I'm doing something wrong...  What exactly does "initialize iPod" do?  I'm worried that it does a basic format, deleting everything on my device.  I don't mind losing my music, videos, or pictures because those could be synced again, I'm worried about losing my applications and settings (on jailbroken iPod).  Could someone enlighten me as to the function of the initialize?

I'll keep testing to see if I can help you figure this one out.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2008, 01:37:38 pm »

Initialize deletes the media files and clears the database on the ipod that keeps track of it all.
It doesn't affect anything else.

m1abrams

• World Citizen
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2008, 07:03:29 pm »

Ok so I just initialized my ipod AFTER installing 522.  Performed a sync of 5920 files (using cache converted files, much faster).  The Artwork folder shows:
ArtworkDB 3,630KB
F1055_1.ithmb 15,040KB
F1060_1.ithmb 94,000KB
F1061_1.ithmb 2,828KB

I made the mistake of sync'ing my entire collection on the first sync.  So I did a second sync that actually removed some tracks.  Checked artwork after this sync, all was fine.

Then sync'd back what was removed.  And boom, all coverart is now set to a Black Flag album.
ArtworkDB 3,694KB
F1055_1.ithmb 1,728KB
F1060_1.ithmb 97,800KB
F1061_1.ithmb 3,056KB
F1068_1.ithmb 1,728KB

matsukaze ninja

• Recent member
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2008, 12:47:59 am »

Was the Black Flag art associated with any of the tracks that went over on
that last sync?  In my case, I believe the art that "took over" has always
been either the gray no-cover-art image, or an image associated with
something in the sync run that broke things.

In case it helps debugging any...

-glenn

m1abrams

• World Citizen
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2008, 06:34:55 am »

Unfortunately it existed for some tracks already on the device and tracks that went over on the last sync.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2008, 09:00:10 am »

Ok so I just initialized my ipod AFTER installing 522.  Performed a sync of 5920 files (using cache converted files, much faster).  The Artwork folder shows:
ArtworkDB 3,630KB
F1055_1.ithmb 15,040KB
F1060_1.ithmb 94,000KB
F1061_1.ithmb 2,828KB

I made the mistake of sync'ing my entire collection on the first sync.  So I did a second sync that actually removed some tracks.  Checked artwork after this sync, all was fine.

Then sync'd back what was removed.  And boom, all coverart is now set to a Black Flag album.
ArtworkDB 3,694KB
F1055_1.ithmb 1,728KB
F1060_1.ithmb 97,800KB
F1061_1.ithmb 3,056KB
F1068_1.ithmb 1,728KB

It seems pretty strange that the first time in it builds a F1055 file, and the second it builds an F1068 file and trashes the F1055 file.

I wonder if we're getting different image file formats to use different times the device is connected?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2008, 09:15:03 am »

I noticed that the report by matsukaze ninja also shows an F1055 file the first time, and a trashed one with a F1068 added the second sync.

I think this is the issue.  Now we just need to figure out why.  Maybe we get one set of art formats after a fresh initialize, but another set after a program restart?

Is everyone doing an initialize followed by a sync?  What if you add a Media Center restart after the initialize before the sync?  Does it make an F1068 file instead of F1055?

Thanks, I think we're getting there.

m1abrams

• World Citizen
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2008, 09:58:19 am »

I have been doing a resync right after the intialize.  Tonight I will intialize the ipod then restart MC before the sync.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2008, 10:05:14 am »

This is starting to make some sense.

Can someone having this problem see if this occurs in their log during the first sync (or just after an initialize):
"Adding hard-coded albumart specifications"

Normally we get image formats from the iPod.  For some reason, I think this is failing and we're using our hard-coded list.  That hard-coded list is out-of-date (because we normally don't use it) so the first sync is writing the wrong art formats.

The second sync writes the correct formats, but since it's a mismatch with what's already there, it gets messy.

echamp1

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2008, 11:35:15 am »

While we're at it, does anyone know why MC randomly crashes or finishes syncs prematurely to the iPod touch?  I haven't been able to get a complete sync yet because of this.  (I have initialized before syncing)

edbro

« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2008, 11:59:34 am »

While we're at it, does anyone know why MC randomly crashes or finishes syncs prematurely to the iPod touch?  I haven't been able to get a complete sync yet because of this.  (I have initialized before syncing)
It's not just the touch. Just today I've had MC freeze on me once and silently exit another time. Silent exit while syncing and freeze using the Datamaster plugin.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2008, 01:18:31 pm »

It's not just the touch. Just today I've had MC freeze on me once and silently exit another time. Silent exit while syncing and freeze using the Datamaster plugin.

Please disable third-party plugins until the problem is sorted.  Also, send a crash log to matt at jriver dot com.  This is not normal.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2008, 01:20:28 pm »

Please start a new thread for Touch / iPhone problems.  I don't believe they're the same as the problems this thread is discussing.

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2008, 01:52:14 pm »

I've had MC freeze on me once and silently exit another time. Silent exit while syncing and freeze using the Datamaster plugin.
Try uninstalling Datamaster.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2008, 05:04:40 pm »

Our hope is that this build will fix the cover art issues:
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/MC12/MediaCenter120523.exe

It will give an error if we can't get information from the iPod, instead of using outdated hard-coded art formats.

If you're getting these errors, please let us know when so we can figure out a way around them.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Mr. Odd

• World Citizen
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2008, 06:03:24 pm »

Installed 523 and did a sync - NOT an initialization and reload. Only covers from newly sync'd tracks appear. Guess I'll have to put the 147G back on again...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2008, 06:25:56 pm »

Installed 523 and did a sync - NOT an initialization and reload. Only covers from newly sync'd tracks appear. Guess I'll have to put the 147G back on again...

Sorry, but you will have to resync.  If our theory is correct, the issue comes during the initial load of the device when we have incorrect album format information.

m1abrams

• World Citizen
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2008, 06:55:28 pm »

Ok just installed 523.

When I start with the ipod, I get the error "Device information could not be retrieved.  Please restart your computer"

m1abrams

• World Citizen
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2008, 06:59:09 pm »

By ejecting the ipod and the pluging it back in MC was able to see it again without the error.  NOTE I did not reboot the machine or even close MC.

Going to start a 1st sync again.

m1abrams

• World Citizen
« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2008, 07:43:56 pm »

Ok more info:

Before I started the sync, I decided to initialize the ipod once more (even though I did it in v522) before syncing.  It initialized but then I got the same error again that it could not get the information from the device.

Again disconnect ipod reconnect.  It is syncing now.

m1abrams

• World Citizen
« Reply #75 on: July 11, 2008, 09:18:36 pm »

Well so far so good.  I have gotten my ipod to sync twice now with 523 and the coverart is ok.

edbro

« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2008, 09:32:55 am »

Bingo, we have a winner!!!

I reinitialized my iPod under .523 and proceeded to reload my library in a manner that tried to break it. I loaded the first 1500 songs in groups of around 400, ejecting in between syncs. Each time the coverart looked good. Then I synced the rest of my 6700 song library and at the end all the coverart is still good.

I want to thank the entire MC team for their dedication and tenacity to get this fixed.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2008, 04:50:21 pm »

When I start with the ipod, I get the error "Device information could not be retrieved.  Please restart your computer"

This means our theory was correct and the problem with cover art is fixed.  That's good.

Can you narrow down when / why you get the no device information message?  For example, is it only after first reboot, or only after an initialize, etc.?

m1abrams

• World Citizen
« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2008, 09:31:36 pm »

Seems to be only after initialize.

matsukaze ninja

• Recent member
« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2008, 09:35:19 pm »

Here's a sequence of events using 523 that does have a couple of
anomalies.  The good news is that I have been able to do an update
sync without messing up the ipod cover art.

+ run MC 513
 + plug in ipod
 + "all files up to date"
 + initialize ipod from within MC
** when done, get the "Device info cannot be retrieved.  Please reboot" dialog.
 + I do not reboot
 + eject ipod
 + unplug it, plug it back in
 + MC likes it now, wants to sync all files
 + after sync, disconnect
 + ipod looks fine
 + rip one new CD
 + plug in ipod
** MC does not see ipod... no dialog, but it doesn't appear in the Devices area
 + eject ipod (via Windows)
 + quit/restart MC
 + connect ipod
 + MC is fine, sees ipod, wants to sync just the new songs
 + eject and unplug ipod
 + cover art still good, Yay!
 + plug ipod back in
** "Device info cannot be retrieved..."
 + eject via Windows, unplug, re-connect ipod
 + MC okay with it again

Hope that helps...

-glenn

matsukaze ninja

• Recent member
« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2008, 09:37:50 pm »

Note that in my case anyway, I had a couple of anomalies that were not
immediately related to doing an initialize...

neFAST

• Galactic Citizen
  • \o/
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2008, 04:43:42 pm »

Ok so I just initialized my ipod AFTER installing 522.  Performed a sync of 5920 files (using cache converted files, much faster).
What's that "cache converted files" ?

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2008, 05:53:52 pm »

What's that "cache converted files" ?

When you sync files to the iPod, MC can covert any file types that the iPod cannot natively play.  It keeps these files in the specified cache directory so that the next time you sync, MC does not have to convert them again -- it just uses the cache of "already converted" files.  I think that's what the previous poster was saying -- that the sync went a lot faster now that the files were already converted and saved in the cache directory.

Larry

Mr. Odd

• World Citizen
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2008, 06:39:16 pm »

Ok, 523 just killed my artwork again, but there's a wild card: today, I used Winamp to play (and only play) files from my iPod at work and when I came home and did a sync with 523, my artwork disappeared. Could Winamp be writing something that causes this?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2008, 06:46:03 pm »

Sorry, but you will have to resync.  If our theory is correct, the issue comes during the initial load of the device when we have incorrect album format information.

Mr. Odd

• World Citizen
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2008, 08:34:29 pm »

Sorry, I forgot to report that after I did an initialization, resync and a subsequent successful addition with 523 everything with my artwork was fine. Then today, kablooey.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2008, 10:32:12 pm »

Ok, 523 just killed my artwork again, but there's a wild card: today, I used Winamp to play (and only play) files from my iPod at work and when I came home and did a sync with 523, my artwork disappeared. Could Winamp be writing something that causes this?

Check the file date (date modified.)  If winamp changed anything, it should have updated the "last modified" date.

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2008, 07:26:49 pm »

Have any of the people still reporting issues tried build 524 yet?  The 524 notes include this:

1. Changed: Doing an initialize on an iPod ejects it afterwards so the device has a chance to reset itself.

I was just wondering if this helps with the "detection" issues reported above?

Thanks,

Larry

Patric

« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2008, 12:31:50 pm »

I upgraded automatically to the most recent version of Media Center 12.  I plugged in my iPod Nano 86 (relatively new, but have been using it about 3 weeks).  I got the error message:  "Device information cannot be retrieved.  Please reboot PC and retry."  Nothing works.  I used my iPod on my laptop that I have NOT upgraded MC to the most recent version, and it works fine. 

Now what?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up