INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transferring Media Jukebox to a computer without Internet connection.  (Read 1468 times)

Charlies Comic Books

• Recent member

I’ve been using the free download version of Media Jukebox for several years and love it.  I’ve enjoyed it so much that I got rid of my conventional stereo system at home and replaced it with a computer to which I transferred my 15,000 + MP3 files by flash drive.  However my home system is not connected to the Internet so I was forced to use the already installed Windows Media Player; it’s terrible.  The sound reproduction, the program that’s supposed to shuffle the music, the response time; none of it compares to the Media Jukebox.
   So now I’d like to purchase the full program from J River but I don’t know if I can then put the program on my flash drive and load it into the home system.  Is this possible?  My flash drive has a two gig capability; it that enough?  If not, could I take some of the system home one day and the rest the next or would I need to purchase a larger flash drive?
   Thank you for your assistance.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Welcome to Interact.  MC has a "portable installation" as part of it's install (requires installation of MC12 on the PC first). 

More here.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird

You can also install Media Center 12 on your Internet enabled computer and buy the license. The key file will be emailed to you (I assume this is still the standard procedure). During the next 14 days you are allowed to use the same key file for registering other instances of MC12 on other computers that are in your personal use. (Remember to check the computer's date and time before proceeding.)

So you need just the MC12 installer (about 17 MB) and this small key file for installing a registered MC12 on a PC that is not connected to the Internet.

EDIT

For your information:

The full version of the old Media Jukebox is called Media Center. The name was changed after Media Jukebox v. 8. The first Media Center version was the v. 9.

The recently introduced free Media Jukebox v.12 is based on Media Center v.12, but has only a subset of the Media Center features. There wasn't any intermediate Media Jukebox versions.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Charlies Comic Books

• Recent member

Welcome to Interact.  MC has a "portable installation" as part of it's install (requires installation of MC12 on the PC first). 

More here.

Dear Jim:
   Thank you for your prompt and helpful response.  I don’t have a laptop (and I’m not very computer literate; I never used a computer before seven years ago when I found that I could store my music on it).  I’ve been using the free trial for a couple of days now and like it very much.  I’ve been trying to buy it but every time I hit the ‘purchase’ button it opens some Microsoft program (Outlook, Explorer?) which is not connected to my ISP.  I’m connected through AOL so I can’t get to the place to buy it.  I’ve called the company and they tell me to ask for help here in the forum.  I tried to copy down the link and enter it at AOL but the address for the window isn’t big enough for me to read the whole ‘Edress’.  I have http://rover.jriver.com/cgi-bin/buy.cgi?.productid=26&upgradefrom=   and then I can’t read what the rest is.  Any advice?  Thank you!  -Charlie

Charlies Comic Books

• Recent member

You can also install Media Center 12 on your Internet enabled computer and buy the license. The key file will be emailed to you (I assume this is still the standard procedure). During the next 14 days you are allowed to use the same key file for registering other instances of MC12 on other computers that are in your personal use. (Remember to check the computer's date and time before proceeding.)

So you need just the MC12 installer (about 17 MB) and this small key file for installing a registered MC12 on a PC that is not connected to the Internet.

Dear Alex:
   Thank you for your help but I’m still a bit in the dark.  How would I register my home computer without an Internet connection?  17mb is not a problem to bring home on my flash drive but the program is larger than that, isn’t it?  I could reload the music (about 86 gigs currently) if necessary.  My lack of comprehension may just be my computer illiteracy at work.  Thanks again.  -Charlie

Pages: [1]   Go Up