INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possibly off topic, but... looking for a decent app to split mp3s  (Read 1675 times)

sithlord0338

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...

Does anyone know of a good program to split a single MP3 file into two or more separate files.  For example, to split the last track on an album which contains a hidden track into separate files.

I have a good program for splitting up wave files, and it is a good option if I need to split my lossless files.  Though obviously if I convert an MP3 file to a wave file and back to an MP3 I'd be losing audio quality.  So basically I'm looking for a program that will split the MP3s without having to convert them and lose audio quality in the process.  Is there actually software like this out there?

I don't really care if the program is freeware or I have to purchase it.  I'm looking for the best program I can find.

tinear

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Possibly off topic, but... looking for a decent app to split mp3s
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 11:09:18 pm »

MP3 Direct Cut is an excellent freeware program.
You can work with it directly in the MP3 format without the necessity of converting to WAV first (and back again).
I think that it'll do what you want.
Cheers,
Fred

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 11:26:39 pm »

You might not even realize (they kind-of hide it), but MC has an editor built in:

Tools -> Advanced Tools --> Media Editor

Not necessarily the best, but certainly free (assuming you have MC), and works well enough.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 03:09:51 am »

Mp3directcut can split files without re-encoding. It can only split files on the MP3 frame boundaries so the cut position is not exactly accurate, but it is good enough for separating e.g. a hidden track.

Media Editor is a wave editor. It decodes files before they are opened and an edited file is always resaved. If the selected save format is lossy (e.g. MP3) some of the information is removed as always when lossy files are encoded. The additional quality loss may or may not be easily audible depending on the audio content and the used encoding settings.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

sithlord0338

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 10:14:19 am »

MC's editor doesn't really work for what I want. I downloaded mp3direct cut to try, it looks promising. Thanks for the suggestions.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 11:20:55 am »

Mp3directcut can split files without re-encoding. It can only split files on the MP3 frame boundaries so the cut position is not exactly accurate, but it is good enough for separating e.g. a hidden track.

Media Editor is a wave editor. It decodes files before they are opened and an edited file is always resaved. If the selected save format is lossy (e.g. MP3) some of the information is removed as always when lossy files are encoded. The additional quality loss may or may not be easily audible depending on the audio content and the used encoding settings.

Right.  I just wanted to mention it.  MP3DirectCut is almost certainly the way to go for th OP.  I've used it and it works quite well.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up