INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Installation: default folders  (Read 1584 times)

echamp1

• Junior Woodchuck
Installation: default folders
« on: August 04, 2008, 12:55:01 am »

Media center does not seem to use environmental variables when installing the program to a computer.  I have my Operating System on Drive D (drive C is my data partition).  MC still installs in "C:\Program Files" and creates application data in "C:\Documents and Settings".  Every other program I've installed so far has used environmental variables to recognize that the D drive is where docs and settings and program files are located.

Can the next build be updated so that these installation folders are more intuitive?

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Installation: default folders
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 06:51:39 am »

It will install to a different directory if you choose the Custom mode.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 09:39:46 am »

Media Center uses the system defines, so I don't understand this.

For example, application data goes here: CSIDL_APPDATA

It's possible if you moved an existing install or changed the system after MC install that it would keep using the old paths.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

echamp1

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 12:52:12 pm »

oh... you might be right, I'll check that.  I tried to keep settings from my other computer by copying registry keys.

However, any time I've chosen Custom install, I've never seen the option to choose install location.  Do you see it?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 01:17:04 pm »

oh... you might be right, I'll check that.  I tried to keep settings from my other computer by copying registry keys.

We don't recommend this.

However, any time I've chosen Custom install, I've never seen the option to choose install location.  Do you see it?

Upgrade installs can't change the install path.  You can only choose the path on a fresh (re)install.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

echamp1

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 01:47:19 pm »

I deleted all registry keys under "Local Machine/Current User"/Software/JRiver folders.  Re-install put MC in the right folders this time.  Thanks!

I tried using Custom install during this process, but I never saw an option for installation folder.  Are you sure this works?  I'd prefer to have the option to install where I want anytime.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 03:23:19 pm »

I tried using Custom install during this process, but I never saw an option for installation folder.  Are you sure this works?  I'd prefer to have the option to install where I want anytime.

What for? If you do an upgrade installation, whats the reason to change the install directory? If you want to reinstall, you have to uninstall MC first and then you can, of course, chose where MC gets installed. If you want to upgrade, you have to install to the same folder. If you'd chose another folder, you'd have two installed versions of MC at the same time and I'm quite sure: this would could mess up your system.
Pages: [1]   Go Up