INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stream FLAC thru uPnP server  (Read 6026 times)

ysw

• Recent member
Stream FLAC thru uPnP server
« on: August 26, 2008, 09:18:07 pm »

Hi, I just added a uPnP Player to my system. I can stream MP3 and WAV to the uPnP player using MC12, but failed to stream FLAC files. Does MC12 support FLAC in its uPnP server service? If so, any option(s) I need to set? Thanks a lot.

Wilson

PS: The FLAC file can be played in MC12. It can also be streamed to my uPnP player using Twonky Media Server. So the problem must be on MC12.

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: Stream FLAC thru uPnP server
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 11:07:03 am »

I'm not sure what's going on, but for now: are you using conversion to MP3?

j

ysw

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 12:39:56 pm »

I chose "Don't Convert Audio" in the option since my uPnP player can decode FLAC. I also found that the audio tracks with Chinese filename and/or Chinese Tags didn't appear in my uPnP Control Point when using MC12 as uPnP server ("filter International Character" option has been unchecked). But again, it works in Twonky Media Server. FYI, my uPnP player is LINN Majik DS and the control point is LINNGui. Thanks again.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 01:26:45 pm »

Hi ysw,

1) Does the LINN support UTF8 international characters? That's what's being sent.

2) Is the FLAC track showing up on the LINN and giving an error when playing, or does it not show up?

j

ysw

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 09:23:04 pm »

1) LINN should support UTF8 international characters cos same files can be played when using Twonky Media server.

2) FLAC tracks even cannot be added to (does not show up in) the playlists of LINN.

Wilson

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 10:23:19 pm »

1) LINN should support UTF8 international characters cos same files can be played when using Twonky Media server.

Not true, Twonky could be sending a different character set than UTF8.

Do a simple test for me: choose a CD that you have ripped to FLAC. Turn on conversion to MP3 in the UPnP server. Turn on the LINN and navigate to that CD. You should see and be able to play the tracks (as MP3s). Turn off the LINN and turn off the conversion in the UPnP server. Restart the LINN and go back to the same CD. Do you see the tracks now?

It's just a guess, but LINN probably doesn't like the MIME type we are sending for FLAC.

j

ysw

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 09:49:14 am »

I've tried the followings:

1) Turn on conversion to MP3 in the MC12 UPnP server.
    Turn on the LINN and navigate to the CD.
    Add the tracks to LINN with UPnP Control Point.
    Play the tracks (as MP3s).
    Close uPnP Control Point.
    Power off the LINN.
    Turn off the conversion in the MC12 UPnP server.
    Power on the LINN.
    Open uPnP Control Point and the tracks were not in the playlist of LINN.

2) Turn on conversion to MP3 in the MC12 UPnP server.
    Turn on the LINN and navigate to the CD.
    Add the tracks to LINN with UPnP Control Point.
    Play the tracks (as MP3s).
    Close uPnP Control Point.
    Turn off the conversion in the MC12 UPnP server.
    Open uPnP Control Point and the tracks were in the playlist of LINN.
    Play the tracks and the format shown on LINN is FLAC.

Wilson

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 09:02:07 pm »

That indicates a MIME type problem or similar. Can you make a network sniff (as described here http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Sharing_Plug-in_Debugging_Hints) and send it to me? (gateley @ jriver.com).

j

ysw

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 01:56:52 am »

I've sent the files to you on 3 Sept. Did you get them? Do they help in solving the problems?

Thanks again.

ysw

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 12:25:14 pm »

Dear John,

I got reply from LINN about the two problems I encountered.

1. failed to add flac files to playlist of LINN
    LINN replied: "Mime type sent by server (MC12) for flac files is audio/flac where it should be audio/x-flac.

2. files non-English filename and tags don't show up
    LINN replied: "The LinnGUI just displays the metadata provided by the MediaServer. Further, the LinnGUI is capable of displaying any unicode character set. My suspicion is that MC is not sending the correct metadata for the file."

Detailed reply can be found here: http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=828

John, it will be great if you can work with LINN to fix the problems. This will make MC12/13 a great piece of music library/server in high-end digital music streamer market.

Thanks a lot.

sithlord0338

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 10:55:36 pm »

If this capability can't be added to MC12 could it please be added to MC13? The ability to stream FLAC thru a uPnP server would make MC the perfect media program. I would really love to hear my lossless files over my Roku SoundBridge without converting every one of them to those pesky lossy MP3s. Yes, I know I could use Twonky Media Server to do it, but then I can't use my meticulously compiled MC playlists!

Hell, if this were added to MC13 I'd purchase it in a heartbeat and I don't think I'd be the only one.

Cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up