INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: h264 Volume  (Read 2012 times)

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
h264 Volume
« on: August 30, 2008, 08:48:12 am »

It may have happened in the past and just not noticed it but I formatted reinstalled everything...works great.  But i've noticed my h264 (mkv) files play at a volume level at almost 1/2 of that of other files such as music and other video files.  I use FFDSHOW so I have gone in to volume and pumped it up in the FFDSHOW volume setting but I just want to make sure there isn't something else I'm missing.  Even afer i've put it to about 150% it still is a quieter...If I go higher hear will it distort and add a lot of "noise" to the sound or can you put this up to say 200% without any undesired effects?

BTW, I'm using a reciver and yes I can keep jacking the volume on that but to get it to a level I want it adds some noise because its so high.

Thanks.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: h264 Volume
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 10:06:07 am »

You didn't say anything about the audio format. H264 is the video compression format and mkv is the container format.

I'd guess that the audio format in your other video files is different than in the mkv files. For instance, if the mkv files contain audio in 5.1 AC3 format you may need to adjust the channel mixer settings in FFDShow audio decoder's options.

Also, the "volume > normalise" feature might help. Enable it and try amplification values up to 500% or so.

or can you put this up to say 200% without any undesired effects?

In general, there is no reason to be afraid of any adjustment that produces the desired result unless the output sounds distorded. Besides that it does not sound good your tweeters might be in danger because the clipped signal contains uncontrolled distortion components that may be louder than the tweeters are designed to handle.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 10:46:54 am »

Sorry for not getting back sooner.

I thought the H264 was implied as movies...sorry.  It's movies and they are all in DD.  If there are no concerns with jacking the volum in FFDSHOW then I've gone ahead and done that.  I don't notice any audible difference so we're all good...no clipping. 

Any insight into why DD in h264 would be so much quiter?  Is it a hardware issue?  I'm using an audigy external usb sound device to the receiver but this is apples to apples....it's seems to be file related.

Not a big concern just thought it anybody else had a similar issue.

HordurPalsson

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 07:05:13 pm »

I'm new here (first post) so I dont know much about mediacenter 12, but if you are using an avr, (connected with optical/coax)your pc should pass through any DD/DTS soundtrack without touching it and therefore not have any effect on how loud your files play. 

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 05:22:42 pm »

I agree...that's why it was so confusing to me....unless the volume on all h264's were lower....I did notice some clipping when I had the volume jacked in FFDSHOW....not sure what the issue is.

HordurPalsson

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 03:46:03 am »

could it be that files other than dd/dts are being pumped up in your pc, and lowering them would solve this problem?
Pages: [1]   Go Up