INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Control MC12 on another machine over LAN  (Read 3907 times)

silkshadow

• Recent member
Control MC12 on another machine over LAN
« on: August 30, 2008, 09:36:56 am »

I've got another computer connected to speakers in the closet, but spend time on a desktop without speakers. I can use a remote to control the music with Vista MCE (not using MC), but having the TV on is really distracting, not to mention a waste of electricity. I'd like to be able to run MC server on it instead and fully control the music it plays with access to my library and playlists.

So, anyone know how I can control MC on another machine on the lan? I searched and the webUI is not what I am looking for. Besides being extremely primitive, I am looking for a non web based way to do this. I'm looking to be able to open a "client" MC on the local machine, which plays, queues up songs, has access to playlists and so forth but on another computer on the same LAN. So I want the full MC UI but that passess commands to another machine instead of trying to play music locally.

I realize I should probably be able to find this easily. MC12 advertises much improved network communication, and there is still no 2-way network communication, so I assume remote control is what they are talking about, but I just can't figure it out.

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Control MC12 on another machine over LAN
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 11:15:50 am »

Remote Server
NetRemote from promixis.com
MusicLobby from cinemaronline.com

More on servers here:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Servers

silkshadow

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 01:00:59 pm »

Thanks for the reply! The remote server is the WebUI, right? I played with it and its pretty primitive and it requires running a web browser all the time if I want to, for example, just skip to the next track. The others are 3rd party programs, clearly kind of unreasonable to require me to buy those (considering the cost of them :o) just to do remote control, something freeware players do. Again, thanks for the reply. I guess this is a feature request.

Can I inquire what were the network improvements from MC11 to MC12? I can't seem to find any new network features.  ?

Thanks again.

Does anyone have any workarounds they are doing to accomplish something near what I am looking for? Thanks for any advice in this matter!

AndyCircuit

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 05:01:57 pm »

I'm not sure if I got you fully right...
First a question: where are your music files? On your desktop or the closet machine? (or a home server?)
Perhaps my config is of help for you:
my desktop is a laptop with MC and VNC viewer (VNC is a free remote desktop software, you could use the Windows build in mstsc as well)
my closet machine is with MC and VNC server
Files are on a server with Windows shares.
So, if I don't want to use the TV (connected to the closet machine) I use VNC to control the closet machine with it's MC from my laptop
I can backup my (laptop) library and load it to the closet machine
I can create MC mpl playlists (or m3u) on my laptop and copy them to a folder on the closet machine that is monitored by auto import.
I can control MC in the VNC window like it is on my local machine  (only the 3D visualizations show up very slow ;)  )
This works very well but only because the media files are accessible with the same \\path on both machines
If your files are on the closet machine it's not that easy anymore but still doable

Not really what you was looking for, I know, still a working solution
Electricians do it 'til it Hz

oias.heeda

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 08:04:37 pm »

Bump

silkshadow

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 04:04:04 am »

Thanks AndyCircuit!

My music is on a sever in another room. The HTPC that I want to control is in the closet of my office behind the mounted flat screen TV. Because there is still no 2 way communication in MC12 (a gripe because it was posted somewhere that it was coming), that HTPC opens the library files on the server, the same as it did for MC11, shared out on a mapped drive. I'm still wondering what the network improvements are in MC12, as I would really like more network features and I can't find anything new in that department at all, but maybe that belongs in another thread. Anyway, I used to use Meedio with the MC plugin but I had an accident and no time to resetup Meedio (long story). So now I'm using MCE for my HTPC software so I don't have the issue with the library being opened on multiple clients, like there used to be.

I run an AD domain on my home lan with terminal services, so I am familiar with VNC/terminals. It is better than using the webUI, but its still more than I really want to have open all the time just to skip to the next track. Thanks again though, AndyCircuit!

What would be a nice substitute for a MC client mode, is something like the vista sidebar gadget for J River but that can control a remote MC. However, I can't get that gadget working with a local J river so I'm not going to push that. :)

Maybe there is a way to get another program plugged into, or controlling the MC webUI, that has a client software? I am running the freeware Squeeze server (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SqueezeCenter) for my squeezeboxes and that comes with remote lan control but there is no plugin for MC, but something like that would be nice.

burre

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 03:10:50 pm »

I kinda want the same thing. Generally, the functionality of library server, but to have the music play fromthe server, not the client. I have a desktop computer with all the music stored + MC, and room correction software for my hifi setup. The problem is, when I want to listen to music, I want to be seated in the sofa, in the best listening position, where I cannot have a normal computer with wires running to it. My idea was to use a netbook, like aspire one or EEE PC, with a separate install of MC controlling my Desktop MC, or "Server". As of now, I am using a Dell Axim PDA with Netremote, but it is really buggy in use, and crashes/loses connection a lot. I also want a bigger screen, like on a netbook, which gives me better opportunity to browse for artist info, browse the web, etc...  I am really surprised that I can't seem to find anyone running a similar/alternative solution on any of the forums I have searched the past few days.

PS: I could be running remote desktop, but that would not give me the option to match the native resolution of the smaller screen on the netbook....

Please help, if you have a tip for me.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 03:29:48 pm »

I have recently suggested a solution that would probably be relatively easy for JRiver to accomplish. See my post here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=47572.msg342071#msg342071
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Messiahs

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 03:46:18 pm »

Perhaps xpTunes can help... but it's web based:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=43402.0

Markus

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 04:06:59 pm »

xpTunes is a nice remote controller.

However, many users would like to have a solution that would allow to use MC's full interface and all features on a standard PC. Only the final played output would be redirected to use the output devices on another PC.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Messiahs

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 07:46:02 pm »

of course you are right. JR should split server and client functionalities, but at this time tv seems to be with high priority (i really don't care about the tv functionality)

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 02:56:22 pm »

Not sure why RDP cant do the job.
Pages: [1]   Go Up