INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 13 Feature Requests  (Read 92186 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
Re: Media Center 13 Feature Requests
« Reply #300 on: December 10, 2008, 09:09:20 am »

ive asked this before all the way back to 11 and not sure if it will ever be implemented or if you you've talked about it.. but a pdf\ebooks viewer... i have an extensive collection of ebooks... TONS!!! would be great to view them within jriver, i know we use to be able to import them just couldnt view them... will this ever be implemented? do you programmers find it maybe usefull? not to pry but been waiting and curious if its been talked about or will ever be implented, or i fi should find another ebooks type cataloging type software? is there maybe a pllugin outthere that we could use another cataloging software but be able to list\sort within jriver then view them on another type of software? so that all media is within jriver and is easy to find\easy to use.
ty.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #301 on: December 10, 2008, 09:33:06 am »

In MC 13, you could tell MC to play a PDF with Acrobat.  Same for any file extension.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #302 on: December 10, 2008, 11:23:27 am »

Ok here is an idea in the OTHER direction

How about a JRiver lite....no not jukebox, but something aimed more towards audiophiles who are obsessive compulsive [rightly or un-rightly so].  Something that has a very small memory footprint, runs in realtime, provideds users the ability to tweak buffer enough to load an entire CD into RAM, features geared only towards music [no photo manager, tv, etc.], and other Audiophile features I am sure I am missing. 

Other portions of the normal JRiver could be available as module add-ons for a small fee.  This way users will get the exact JRiver they want with a smaller price of entry. The other features of JRiver are good enough to sell themselves, and those that don't sell would give JRiver a clue as to what features are not value added.

Well, how about it???

Maybe call it JRiverX

KingDoughnut,

A couple of weeks ago, you were lobbying for Wasapi support.  Then you were lobbying for a Linux version.  Now you are lobbying for a stripped down audiophile version.  The reality is that you aren't actually going to use any of these for long before you look for the next new thing to try.

A company like JRiver has finite resources for developing and supporting enhancements to their products.  It isn't fair to JRiver or to other users who really need some new feature to keep suggesting a stream of changes that you will not be using in a month.

Bill

HTPC4ME

« Reply #303 on: December 10, 2008, 11:36:22 am »

OK GOT THE PDF'S AND TEXT BACK IN :)

NoBS

• Recent member
« Reply #304 on: December 10, 2008, 02:48:32 pm »

I"m hoping for some plumbing evolution, to provide more control over some areas that can be tough to deal with now. These aren't new ideas -- many were posted on this board by others (and/or me). Some of these suggestions are possible now, partially or via a few extra steps, but maybe can be streamlined.

(For those who know it, yes, several of my MC wishes are derived from IBM Lotus Notes, a strong model because it has been used to build a huge range of database systems, ranging from accounting systems to media library systems to several of my large web sites (such as http://databased.advisor.com). The basic design has worked well for years, and I love how its text-file configuration (notes.ini) makes it easy to move and fix stuff, and lets IBM support Windows, Mac and Linux using the same .ini file.)

Suggestions for Media Center 13:

-- Switch to a text .ini for MC config, and store nothing MC-specific in Windows Registry (only what Windows requires, such as file-type associations).
If all MC config, view design, smartlists formulas, etc is in an easily accessible/copyable/editable text .ini file (like the good-old-days of PC software) it would allow easy moving of specific items or the entire configuration to another library or another PC.

[ ... ]

MusicHawk hit it on the head big time.
Thank you for the time and clear request.
Second time his thread has been quoted, for a very good reason IMHO.
I would be willing to pay a premium for this.
What's an iPod?
Do apples have worms?
Rotten to the core.

KingDoughnut

« Reply #305 on: December 10, 2008, 05:17:45 pm »

I understand Bill,

But does it really hurt to ask?

Hopefully JRiver et.al were not offended or upset due to my persistence.

Right now myself and a lot of other people are enjoying WASAPI via JRiver, I think if it were not for someone putting the bug in their ear it may not have gotten done or at the very least been on a back burner.

I believe that if you want something you should ask for it, not just wait for it. ;D

BTW, I use JRiver every single day for at least 2+ years now.  So I am not the flighty media player person you make me out to be....and YES I do try other players, YES I do have and enjoy sound via Linux....but the fact remains JRiver is as much of a main stay in my system as my Dynaudio speakers.  Please don't go out of your way to paint me in a bad light that is not true, its really uncalled for..

Keep in Mind that the NAME of this thread is "JRiver Feature Requests" started by I believe a JRiver associate.

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #306 on: December 11, 2008, 03:21:11 am »

I would like to be able to store passwords for network paths on servers ... i.e. my library is on
\\mediaserver\music\...
but is password protected.
thx

edbro

« Reply #307 on: December 11, 2008, 07:34:18 am »

I would like to see the Explorer shell context menu have the MC icon. It seems like it would an easy thing to implement. My context menu is getting crowded and this would help to quickly pick MediaCenter out of the crowd.

p7389

• World Citizen
« Reply #308 on: December 11, 2008, 02:34:46 pm »

Other portions of the normal JRiver could be available as module add-ons for a small fee.  This way users will get the exact JRiver they want with a smaller price of entry. The other features of JRiver are good enough to sell themselves, and those that don't sell would give JRiver a clue as to what features are not value added.

Maybe call it JRiverX

Don't you think the current price is an aboslute steal, even if you never use anything but the audio functionality?
[img width= height= alt=My Top Albums]http://lastfm.obsessive-media.de/3month/7x1/p7389.jpeg[/img]

HTPC4ME

« Reply #309 on: December 11, 2008, 02:39:37 pm »

i think its a steal!!!!

but i would pay for pdf support or at least ability to see thumnails of pdf's :)

KingDoughnut

« Reply #310 on: December 12, 2008, 09:54:26 am »

If you're having any performance issues, please start a new thread.

You mean like this  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=49536.0 this thread pertains to the lack of being able to get anything greater than 16bit output via WASAPI.  Unfortunately the performance issue went un-noticed.  Shall I continue to post on that thread in hopes of a response?

I was however able to resolve the issue of getting a sampling rate greater than 48Hz out via WASAPI and posted the resolution. All it really takes is about a 1.5 second reduction in the buffer via the reg key.

CaptainDom

« Reply #311 on: December 13, 2008, 08:13:50 pm »

ive asked this before all the way back to 11 and not sure if it will ever be implemented or if you you've talked about it.. but a pdf\ebooks viewer... i have an extensive collection of ebooks... TONS!!! would be great to view them within jriver, i know we use to be able to import them just couldnt view them... will this ever be implemented? do you programmers find it maybe usefull? not to pry but been waiting and curious if its been talked about or will ever be implented, or i fi should find another ebooks type cataloging type software? is there maybe a pllugin outthere that we could use another cataloging software but be able to list\sort within jriver then view them on another type of software? so that all media is within jriver and is easy to find\easy to use.
ty.

Yeah! and it could all scroll automatically like the begining of star wars...

Seriously though. How about being able to see playlists in a grid view like albums - the tree can only do so much.
(sorry if this got posted already there's so much allready posted - and I'm so lazy)

HTPC4ME

« Reply #312 on: December 13, 2008, 09:24:07 pm »

Naaaaaaa scrolling Seriously wouldnt need to be a feature!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #313 on: December 14, 2008, 07:56:28 am »

cubanr,
your post is here

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #314 on: December 15, 2008, 03:34:22 am »

I would like MC to jump to a myself configured view and not to the playlist "Recently Imported".

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #315 on: December 15, 2008, 07:44:57 am »

At the top of the views are the 'Back' & 'Forward' arrows for following the 'breadcrumbs'.

I'd love to see a Drop-down menu there showing the available locations so that you can select a location and jump directly rather than being required to step through each rung by clicking the arrows.

Also would like a Drop-down showing available choices for the 'UnDo' menu.
. . . the game is rigged

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #316 on: December 19, 2008, 03:47:27 am »

When transfering files to handheld or burning data cds - I would like to clean up ID3 tags i.e. be able to remove δόφ etc. ... just like the Clean File Props work.

File Naming "[track #] - [Name]" for handhelds and burning cds - needed for mp3 player in my car.

A library update for a single Album would be nice: If there have been some changes outside MC I dont want to update the whole library, instead I would like to right click on the Album and say: Update Album library ... missing files would be removed, new files in the Album folder would be added.

thx

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #317 on: December 20, 2008, 07:49:56 am »

To give mp3 conversion a lower thread priority ...

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #318 on: December 20, 2008, 08:01:21 am »

To give mp3 conversion a lower thread priority ...

1 - Make conversion adjustable for thread priority such as: Normal, Below Normal, Above Normal
(like another software I often use).

2 - allow for multiple conversion threads (like in the Sync Handheld setup)

3 - Add 'Convert File Format' to the Windows Right-Click menu
(so I no longer need to use that 'other' software)
. . . the game is rigged

Robo983

• World Citizen
UPnP Renderer: Media Center 13 Feature Requests
« Reply #319 on: December 25, 2008, 11:18:30 am »

UPnP Renderer for access to Playon and Tversity, and others as they become available in Theater view.

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #320 on: December 27, 2008, 11:40:21 am »

Any chance of adding a 'PAUSE' button to File Conversion and Sync Handheld functions?

How about making it so a Library Restore from backup does NOT require a complete rebuilding of thumbnails?
This can be a long proceedure with a large library.
. . . the game is rigged

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #321 on: December 27, 2008, 02:03:43 pm »

Any chance of adding a 'PAUSE' button to File Conversion and Sync Handheld functions?
This I need too ...

JONCAT

« Reply #322 on: December 28, 2008, 11:00:03 pm »

Lyrics download support from within MC now that Datamaster is dead...

DC

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #323 on: December 29, 2008, 08:49:28 am »

Spent the last couple of days playing with the MC13 beta and setting it up to mimic my current MC12 setup.  As it stands, MC12 does almost everything I want so here is what I'd like to see MC13 added in order to make it a compelling upgrade...

(currently all my usage is music based, thus my comments are restricted to that aspect of MC.  And of course, apologies if any requests are already implemented.)

Album centric data - eg expression fields which can calculate values based on the specified fields.  Example, in my setup I use a field called 'My Rating' for each track, which goes from 1-10.  What I'd like to do is create an expression field called 'Album Rating' and have MC13 allow us to use math expresssions such as SUM, AVERAGE etc on given fields.  I could then calculate 'Album Rating' as the AVERAGE of 'My Rating'.  Currently I export the entire database, process it with perl scripts and then reimport to generate my own 'Album Rating' field.  This calculated field must also be available to smartlists for processing.

Use Firefox as the internal browser.  I never use IE and don't want to.  My browser, Firefox, is fast and *secure*, and I'd like to use it in MC13.

More smartlist stuff.  Smartlists are the thing that, for me, set MC apart from all competitors.  I'd like to see more functionality added - expressions, math functions, string functions etc.

TABS - the ability to LOCK a tab in place and have it never change... for instance I'd like my first TAB to *always show NOW PLAYING, my second tab to *always* show my collection by Artist Thumbnail (or whatever view I configure).  Then I'd browse an album in my collection tab and click play and then, rather than replace my collection browser view with a duplicate PLAYING NOW, as it does now, it would jump to the playing now in the first tab (assuming my options say 'jump to playing now') and leave the current tab alone (or create a playing now tab if none available).  That way I can quickly flit between tabs and get access to my various view schemes without them being continually replaced due to my actions.

NAVIGATION - The ability to save and load the NAVIGATION options.  When migrating between MC revisions all such options are lost (locked away in the registry).  I'd like to see either those options stored with the library or available to load/save.

SPLIT VIEWS - these need to be available on a PER VIEW basis, so that I can set up a view which contains a split view and another which doesn't and when I switch between the views the splits are applied as required.  Also I'd like to see an option to connect the SPLIT VIEWS together such that changes in one view, eg selection of an album thumbnail causes an update in the second split, eg shows the details of the albums.  Would be useful to specify whether tabs are available on all views or only specific ones to cut down on screen wastage.

PANES - sort of tied in with the above... we need many more ways to configure our views.  I have a PANE view with artists listed down the left column and album thumbnails in the right column.  What I'd love to do is have a third pane *below* these two which shows album details for any album I click on (this is the same example as above but done with one view rather than a split view).  Right clicking on a pane would, in this example, give the option to ADD A PANE *BELOW* the existing two panes to create this view.  In other words, the freedom to define a PANE view with panes anywhere, eg one on the left, one on the right and one below those two rather than the restrictions we currently face.

RATINGS field - the ability to increase the ratings field from 1-5 to 1-10 (or indeed any user specified value).

Add the ability to display stars for any given number field, and again for fields with a wider range than 1-5.

Add a lyrics server in the same way as the cover art.

That's enough for now.

Mark

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #324 on: December 29, 2008, 10:26:56 am »

It just occurred to me that when we all (including me) say oh, I'd pay a premium, it's completely worthless.  I mean they have enough trouble (effort required) creating a new serial system for each version and supporting the new version purchases.  I surely doubt they would love managing micro payments-- $1 modules!  Not to mention building them all and supporting them and the broad scope of such a system.  I personally prefer the one price to get it all.  I just typically ask for things that don't seem to get priority because they aren't popular enough for the large crowd.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #325 on: December 30, 2008, 04:29:08 am »

Add the ability to the sound recorder to record what MC is currently playing.  This would allow recording of radio streams, for example.

My Web Media - add ability to customise this view

Links - add ability to open multiple windows/tabs.  With Send To -> External you can create URLs for Firefox that opens multiple tabs but this cannot currently be done with Links.

Tabs - add ability to close all tabs except current selected one

Navigation - Add option for it NOT to expand the left hand tree.  I use Navigation from the toolbar and don't need the left hand tree opened every time I click on it.  Doing so adds clutter to my experience.

Left hand tree - allow this window to be locked shut on startup.  I know this has been discussed previously and turned down, but this is a wish list after all :)

Mark

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #326 on: December 30, 2008, 04:32:32 am »

Podcasts - Allow us to override KEYWORDS to avoid the podcasters polluting our keywords with their rubbish.  I'd like to be able to tell MC to ignore all incoming podcast keywords, for instance.

Mark

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #327 on: December 30, 2008, 05:08:15 am »

When right clicking on a column header which contains an expression we should be given the option to edit the expression rather than being forced to figure out that the only way to do so is to use the Customize View dialogue.

Mark

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #328 on: December 30, 2008, 05:13:32 am »

Add a user field type: DATE which allows us to enter and display date formatted information.

Mark

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #329 on: December 30, 2008, 05:19:03 am »

Add the ability to know what the currently playing track is and be able to use that information in smartlists.

Mark

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #330 on: December 30, 2008, 10:08:50 am »

Add an expression which returns the position of a string within a field, which could then be used with other expressions. 

For instance I want to create an expression which removes the text " (disc" from the end of an album name.

The album could therefore be something like

album (disc 1)
album (disc 23)
album (disc 2: the b-sides)

(I could then pass that field into links, eg for looking up album art without the (disc stuff messing the search)

Right now I can test for the existence of '(disc' but cannot return it's position and thus I cannot prune the parenthesized text in any successful way.

Updating isEqual to return the position of the string would be a simple solution, but that would probably break lots of peoples' expressions, so how about something similar, eg POS - this expression returns the position of a string within a field, or 0 if not found.

Mark

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #331 on: December 31, 2008, 08:27:08 am »

Allow us to modify the toolbar items' text labels.

Add "Get From Internet" cover art search to the Customize Toolbar (but tied in with the request above allow us to rename it to something more useful), or indeed rename "Get From Internet" to something more meaningful when taken out of context of it's right click menu.

Allow us to put view schemes/smartlists on the toolbar for rapid navigation to important views.

Mark

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #332 on: December 31, 2008, 10:04:13 am »

Allow custom DSP equaliser outputs to be tied (by rules) to media.  This would allow us, for example, to tie different equalisation to Web Streams (generally poor quality) and high quality rips to improve the overall sound output of all sources.

Mark

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #333 on: December 31, 2008, 11:17:10 am »

Allow to configure the startup DVD menu language.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=49813.0

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #334 on: January 04, 2009, 04:06:23 am »

Add new options to playlist inclusion to support the following:

I would like to be able to create a playlist/smartlist and then when I include it in another playlist have the inclusion work only with present fields, rather than identifying each track individually.

So, for instance, if I have a library that contains 4 different copies of the track Take On Me by A-Ha and a smartlist/playlist that contains one entry,

artist=A-ha name=Take On Me with display fields of only [artist],[name]

I could then include that smartlist/playlist into another with an option to have it pull ALL tracks called Take on Me by A-Ha from the other included smartlist (or main database by default) into the result set.

Or simply a modifier for any smartlist that allows one to expand specified fields to include ALL fields from the database.  Much like expand to full album ~a but for any field and for the entire databse.

This would be incredibly powerful and allow us to do lots of useful dynamic searching in our collections.

Mark

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #335 on: January 04, 2009, 06:59:39 am »

Add an expression that displays an increasing sequential number in a playlist column for each row so that we can generate smartlists, eg a top ten played track list, and add a sequence number to the view.

Mark

nkapur

« Reply #336 on: January 09, 2009, 02:17:10 am »

2- Ability to "lock" two or more zones together, so as to use one Playing Now window to control all selected zones playback functions [stop, pause, add to playing now, etc].  Basically just sending the same audio 'stream' to all selected output devices/zones.
(yes I am aware of audio sync'ing issues between zones, and it's not an issue in my case as the zones are more or less acoustically isolated, I am only concerned with programming & control)

Another vote for this. My main use of MC is multizone playback where all zone basically play the same source.

llafriel

• World Citizen
« Reply #337 on: January 09, 2009, 03:17:37 am »

This has probably been mentioned before:
Use the MC interface to control a MC instance on another computer. The remote computer could appear as a zone in MC.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #338 on: January 09, 2009, 04:31:46 am »

Use the MC interface to control a MC instance on another computer. The remote computer could appear as a zone in MC.

+1

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #339 on: January 09, 2009, 09:21:03 am »

Correct, this has been requested several times. Probably it would not be very easy to accomplish -- otherwise we already would have it.

The current options are to use the very limited Remote Server web interface, one of the very limited third party remote interfaces (like xpTunes) or programs that create remote desktop access (either Microsoft's built-in Remote Desktop or some other application like TightVNC).

One relatively simple option that has not been suggested would be to develope the UPnP features further. Currectly MC can work only as an UPnP server. My suggestion would be to add two additional modes.

One instance of MC could be set to be a UPnP Control Point that streams played media and any other MC instance could be set to be a plain UPnP MediaRenderer. You could use the familiar MC interface and everything you play would be streamed by UPnP. Any MC in the MediaRenderer mode would be able to play the stream.

If the media files and the library are not on the PC that is used as the Control Point it would be possible to use Media Server or a shared library as usual. The UPnP stream would be created later at the final output stage. For audio playback it could be decoded PCM so that all DSP features could be used. If needed, fast lossless encoding could be applied, like FLAC -0 (FLAC is one of the streamable lossless formats).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

danrien

• Galactic Citizen
  • Chillin
« Reply #340 on: January 09, 2009, 10:38:28 pm »

QAM support!  It would be nice to be able to tune into the free channels my cable provider provides with basic cable (they don't even require a tuner box).
http://davidvedvick.info

"Always be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman." - Anonymous

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #341 on: January 10, 2009, 03:06:49 am »

A tool that would automate re-ripping process. You would just need to select the files that are going to be replaced and start a "re-rip" tool.

MC would re-rip the files from the inserted CD in case the track numbers and the total number of the files match. It would preserve all old library data including the original import date. It would replace only the file format specific fields and the filename extensions.

NOTE: This approach is credited to Alex B

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #342 on: January 10, 2009, 10:53:27 am »

A tool that would automate re-ripping process.
A big second to this one.
Additionally, it would be nice to be able to "auto-stack" files on import. (This may be possible already, I have not yet looked into it...just occurred to me now though)

Add an expression which returns the position of a string within a field, which could then be used with other expressions.
If I understand you correctly, I also second this. In my mind it is basically a more flexible "find" (from Find n' Replace fame!), that would be useful across fields.

Album centric data
Add artist centric data to this as well. Expressions such as SUM(), AVG(), COUNT() that could do be applied to all files associated with a selected field would be awesome.
For example:
=SUM([Artist], [Number Plays]) would return the total tracks played for a given artist.
And along the same lines:
=AVG([Artist], [Rating]) would return the average rating for a given artist.
=COUNT([Artist], [Name]) would return the total number of unique songs for a given artist.
It would appear that I'm trying to avoid needing to go check last.fm for my play stats based on my examples, but there are TONS of other uses I'd find for this. MC's [Complete Album] field is already light years beyond the competition in terms of album based play (for me at least) and it seems logical to expand this type of functionality. It's sort of at the heart of MC in my eyes.

Use Firefox as the internal browser.
I don't care that much, but it'd be nice.

RATINGS field - the ability to increase the ratings field from 1-5 to 1-10 (or indeed any user specified value).
It makes using the star system more difficult to go beyond 1-10 (on a 0.5 resolution), but I'd prefer to have at least that much resolution there. Again, not a huge deal here.

While I'm thinking of it, the 0.5 rating resolution is one of two (seriously, only two) features that MC's simian competitor had that MC does not, so I'll mention the other here:
Fancy printable/exportable reports of what I listen to (or watch). All sorts of random data was available through those monkey reports and if MC made something similar that could even be based off of the artist and album centric expressions mentioned previously I'd be in music nerd heaven.

A slight reworking of the list style fields' panes. Basically I'd like to see AND, OR and NOT options easily available and switchable without having to configure anything through a menu. So for an example, what I'd like to do that I can NOT do now would be:
I select "Rock" in my genre pane. I then select "Hard Rock" OR "Punk Rock" from my OR enabled Sub-Genre pane.
But I do not want to listen to any "Grunge" OR "Funk Rock" which overlap somewhat with the "Hard Rock" sub-genre. Currently I have to input a search string into the search box to make this happen.
What I'd like to be able to do is, via a clickable icon to the left of an item in a pane, choose to exclude a given item rather than include it. So in my example I would then simply click the left-hand icon to change it to the "NOT" icon and thus exclude "Grunge" and "Funk Rock" from my song list.
Now that I consider it more, I think that it should just be adding in the INCLUDE/EXCLUDE icon, as mixing in AND and OR here could lead to a lot of confusion when trying to make selections.

Native support for PS3/Wii/Xbox 360. I know there are issues with all of them to some extent, but considering they are one of the most common uPnP (errr, uPnP-like) devices sitting next to most people's TV it seems like it could open up a lot of market space if these devices were listed next to all of the portable audio devices that are supported. And for my sake, start with the Wii!  ;D

UnDo/ReDo list. As of yet, I'm not sure what actually gets done and redone for the most part. It would be super helpful (for a noob at least) to see at least the next UnDo action (if not a whole list).

This list seems to have gotten pretty big. What can I say, I now look for perfection in my media player. So thanks for raising the bar for me JR crew and hopefully you'll take my suggestions into light before MC13 leaves beta.
-JB

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #343 on: January 10, 2009, 11:10:49 am »

Add artist centric data to this as well. Expressions such as SUM(), AVG(), COUNT() that could do be applied to all files associated with a selected field would be awesome.
For example:
=SUM([Artist], [Number Plays]) would return the total tracks played for a given artist.
And along the same lines:
=AVG([Artist], [Rating]) would return the average rating for a given artist.
=COUNT([Artist], [Name]) would return the total number of unique songs for a given artist.
It would appear that I'm trying to avoid needing to go check last.fm for my play stats based on my examples, but there are TONS of other uses I'd find for this.

Take this to it's conclusion and have database-centric expressions available so that we can use these on ANY field in the database.

Mark

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #344 on: January 10, 2009, 12:12:18 pm »

Take this to it's conclusion and have database-centric expressions available so that we can use these on ANY field in the database.
Ha, I meant to say that but clearly dropped the ball. Thanks for picking up my slack...

I also forgot one other suggestion that seems useful. I've seen it discussed around the forums here some, but I'll bring it up here too.

A more robust Access Control would be useful.
What I'd like to see includes:
Savable filters - it is aggravating to have to re-create a filter every time I turn Access Control on.
An on/off list for all of these saved filters - basically just a list of all saved filters with a check box to designate on or off. It would make sense to allow for different passwords for each filter too.
Default Filters - It would also be useful to set certain filters to default to "on", so that if one is turned off during a session it will automatically be turned back on the next time MC starts up.
Remote Client specific filters - I don't have need for this myself currently, but I saw it discussed someplace and it makes sense. Basically, for Kid A's room apply all filters, Kid B's room apply all but the PG-13 filter, for Ma n' Pa's room apply no filters, or something to that effect.

Only other reference to the subject I managed to find right now:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=42744.0

Also, in regard to Party Mode, it would be nice to have the ability to lock the player into a certain view so that I can make a nice simple one that doesn't need to be explained to the many morons that I'm friends with.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #345 on: January 10, 2009, 04:58:08 pm »

A couple of things, apologies if they've been mentioned (this thread is too long now to read through it all :-))

1. Ad skipping in TV Recordings / playback.
2. Ability for scheduler to wake system from s3 sleep state for scheduled recording. 

sumanb

« Reply #346 on: January 11, 2009, 12:10:32 am »

I'm going to keep it simple. I like most of what MC does today, but you can't fight progress, so...:

• New iPod Support - The iPhone isn't the only Apple device that's unusable with MC and while I see no reason to ever get an iPhone, I do need to keep upgrading my nanos so that I can get more of my music library on there. MC doesn't even have to support it directly, it can go through the iTunes API and let it figure out how to sync with the iPod. I never use iTune's library anyway and I'm betting most people with MC don't, so recreating the library wouldn't impact anyone.
  • Proper cover art synchronization - Maybe it's just me, but my iPod Classic (and my old nano before I gave it away) always gets the cover art mixed up.
  • Commercial Skip - The EPG is a step in the right direction. One of the reasons I bought MC was for the integrated TV, but never used it because of the lack of an EPG. But, that said, it would be better if it could skip commercials. It doesn't have to do it at record time, just a plugin to figure it out during playback.
  • Bluray playback support - I bought a Bluray burner recently and I figure I'll be getting only bluray movies from now on, so it would be great if this is supported.

maid

« Reply #347 on: January 11, 2009, 01:41:38 am »

I would like something quite simple.

When watching an AVI movie you can jump back 10 seconds how about at least another jump of 30 seconds.

Cheers
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

llafriel

• World Citizen
« Reply #348 on: January 11, 2009, 04:55:59 pm »

A slight reworking of the list style fields' panes. Basically I'd like to see AND, OR and NOT options easily available and switchable without having to configure anything through a menu. So for an example, what I'd like to do that I can NOT do now would be...

I've asked for this before, I'd like to have it for photos. It would allow me to select for example an event and a person, but only pictures including said person.

burre

• Recent member
« Reply #349 on: January 12, 2009, 01:01:10 am »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up