INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Developing a Remote Control PlugIn  (Read 2720 times)

dhiggins

• World Citizen
Developing a Remote Control PlugIn
« on: September 04, 2008, 11:24:42 pm »

I was wondering if anyone knew of any info on developing a remote control plug in?

I see all the other plugin SDK's but I'm not seeing anything about creating a remote control plugin. is it part of one of the other SDKs?

Specifically, I'm looking to develop an IRDA or irdeo plugin (these gizmo's are pretty standard serial port input devices, nothing particularly difficult with them as far as programming goes).

Also, anyone know if the source for the existing IRMAN or UIRT plugins is available. It'd be a nice starting point if it was.

Thanks
Darin

Melloware

• World Citizen
Re: Developing a Remote Control PlugIn
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 02:36:26 pm »

If you own a USB-UIRT you can use Intelliremote to control JRiver MC and we include a JRiver MC profile with it.   we also support about 40 other different remotes but NOT an IRDA based remote.  Sorry!

Hope that is helpful.
========================
Melloware Inc.
Take Back Control of your PC!
http://www.melloware.com
info@melloware.com
========================

dhiggins

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 02:43:07 pm »

Thanks for the heads up. I already have an IRMAN and a couple of IRDA boxes that I'm playing with, though.

I thought I might just write a little plugin if that's possible. I know IRDA isn't directly compatible with normal IR remotes, but, after some experimentation, I've found that I can read the codes reliably enough for my purposes.

I just can't find any docs on writing a remote plugin for media center.

Sure, I COULD just shell to MC12.exe for all the commands, but guh! That's got rotten code smell all over it<g>

Thanks again
Darin

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 10:16:42 am »

If you own a USB-UIRT you can use Intelliremote to control JRiver MC and we include a JRiver MC profile with it.   we also support about 40 other different remotes but NOT an IRDA based remote.  Sorry!

Hope that is helpful.

What can you use the remote for? Does it only work in Theatre View?

dhiggins

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 10:39:08 am »

If i understand the question right, you can use a remote for almost anything. It doesn't just work in Theater view (I know that because I almost never use theater view).

Its just that right now, there's not really a good "headless" interface for using a remote (headless as in, using a remote to control the audio functions when you only have audio available, no monitor/screen).

I'm using it to control music out on a patio where I don't have (and don't want) a screen of any sort.

Darin

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 11:40:13 am »

If i understand the question right, you can use a remote for almost anything. It doesn't just work in Theater view (I know that because I almost never use theater view).

Its just that right now, there's not really a good "headless" interface for using a remote (headless as in, using a remote to control the audio functions when you only have audio available, no monitor/screen).

I'm using it to control music out on a patio where I don't have (and don't want) a screen of any sort.

Darin

So all I need is a USB-UIRT and the $24 Intelliremote and I can add songs to Now Playing, delete them, change the order, all that stuff? And can I put these functions on my Harmony remote?

dhiggins

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 11:49:33 am »

Hmm, That I've never tried. Mainly I use it to select playlists, start, stop, next track, etc. Not having a screen attached when using the remote kinda limits what i'm normally doing with the remote.

If you look through the keys that you can assign to remote keys however, there's a lot you can assign, including stuff like "up, down left right" keys 1-0, etc.

But whether you can use that to add tracks to playlists, edit playlists etc, I'm not sure about.
Pages: [1]   Go Up