INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC13 - MC12 cross-compatibility?  (Read 2354 times)

MusicHawk

• Citizen of the Universe
MC13 - MC12 cross-compatibility?
« on: September 10, 2008, 09:38:14 am »

Trying to plan how to try MC13 (given its "rough" status), some questions about whether MC13 and MC12 can co-exist, and at what level? What do we need to know about migrating and/or intermixing? For instance...

What happens if MC13 is installed "on top of" MC12? I presume it actually gets put in a separate program folder, but what does it share with an existing MC12 -- Windows registry settings, app data folder, or ??

When opened by MC13, do library files get automatically and notably converted (lots of custom fields and views in mine)? Once touched by MC13, can the library files still be used by MC12 or not? If an MC13 library can't directly be used by MC12, can it be down-converted?

In considering using a library in MC13 and MC12, is there a difference between a library backup and the current live library files?

Any difference in music/media files once touched by MC13? Will MC12 notice or care?

Can an MC12 library server be used by an MC13 client? Vice versa?

What else do we need to know migrating or co-existing?

Also, it would help to know what in MC13 is "rough" or more important, risky. Is it mainly UI-level and/or missing or incomplete new/improved areas, or could use of MC13 affect core functionality or put media files at risk?

Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: MC13 - MC12 cross-compatibility?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 10:27:24 am »

Trying to plan how to try MC13 (given its "rough" status), some questions about whether MC13 and MC12 can co-exist, and at what level? What do we need to know about migrating and/or intermixing? For instance...

Just Install it.

What happens if MC13 is installed "on top of" MC12? I presume it actually gets put in a separate program folder, but what does it share with an existing MC12 -- Windows registry settings, app data folder, or ??

Everything will be separate. I think MC13 offers to create a copy of the existing library (possibly it checks only the last used library if you have many), but I didn't try that option. MC13 can restore an MC12 library backup file without problems.

For now, MC13 uses cover art files from the previously linked locations, but possibly we will get some new options for changing the cover art location (if I understood correctly what Matt said in another thread). This would be nice in case the user has the cover art files in the old default location in MC12's application data folder.

When opened by MC13, do library files get automatically and notably converted (lots of custom fields and views in mine)? Once touched by MC13, can the library files still be used by MC12 or not? If an MC13 library can't directly be used by MC12, can it be down-converted? In considering using a library in MC13 and MC12, is there a difference between a library backup and the current live library files?

An MC12 library will be opened correctly including all field data and playlists. The view scheme options have changed and you may need to reconfigure them. You can't use an MC13 library with MC12. The only way to export MC13 data and import it to MC12 is to use MPL playlists.

Any difference in music/media files once touched by MC13? Will MC12 notice or care?

No, I don't think there are any tagging changes (yet?).

Can an MC12 library server be used by an MC13 client? Vice versa?

I don't think it could work because the library format has changed.

What else do we need to know migrating or co-existing?

Also, it would help to know what in MC13 is "rough" or more important, risky. Is it mainly UI-level and/or missing or incomplete new/improved areas, or could use of MC13 affect core functionality or put media files at risk?

I don't think MC13 can do any harm, but a cautious user might want to first test it with a small separate media library.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC13 - MC12 cross-compatibility?
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 10:28:28 am »

MC13 and MC12 libraries are different so the Library Server is incompatible.

Both programs can play safely with the same files, thought not at the same time.

I just started another thread on this subject.
Pages: [1]   Go Up