INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: totally portable  (Read 1327 times)

jb_alphamale

• Recent member
totally portable
« on: September 27, 2008, 07:53:55 am »

Hey guys,
I have four computers (different locations) and 1 mp3 player. I keep my source music on a 32GB memory stick. Is it possible to have a totally portable solution? Program and Library on the same memory stick so I can be totally independent even when I have to run it on a shared computer let's say in a hotel?
If yes so which would be the steps?
I tried the followings:
1. portable install on the memory stick
2. Create the Library on the memory stick
3. Modify the links at every install to point to correct Temp, Cover Art and Music folders on memory stick (every operating system has different locations for these directories e.g. xp vs vista)
4. modify the name of the portable (depends on the operating system it is recognized different)

As far as I install the kit every time on any single computer and to modify the am links everything works fine but my question is there is any possibility to do it without installing anything when it comes to a new computer.
Any help would be highly appreciated.
Thank you.
JB

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: totally portable
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 08:12:11 am »

I could be wrong, but I don't think MJ has a portable install.  Our Media Center product does.  And it should be free-standing once you've installed.

When you say "create the library ...", maybe you've done something I don't understand.  You should copy any media to the device, then import.

jb_alphamale

• Recent member
Re: totally portable
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 10:53:22 am »

Yes MJ has a portable install. During install after you chose custom you see the install path screen at that point you hit back and voila you have the screen with portable choice. Try it yourself.
I'll try though a portable install with media center.
Thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up