INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Something better than YADB?  (Read 15072 times)

twobadfish

• Recent member
Something better than YADB?
« on: October 20, 2008, 01:26:11 pm »

In a program called EasyTag there is a way to search through CDDb and apply whatever you find to whichever tracks you would like.

The current feature that uses YADB almost never works. And if it does it only fills in a few of the tracks selected, even when they are from the same album.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Something better than YADB?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 01:34:41 pm »

YADB is it.  I use it regularly and it does about 80% for me.

If you're using home made disks, it may not work well.

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 01:40:45 pm »

I've only tried YADB for a few CDs and it's failed miserably.  Maybe I was just unlucky, but I remember that I tried it with a CD that I thought was pretty common.  This was 6 months ago or so, maybe it's gotten better. 

Maybe I should submit all of my QAQC'd tracks (I actually have a tag to let me know that I've checked my tags... don't tell my girlfriend, she already thinks I'm a bit OCD with my music) to YADB instead of just dismissing it. 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 01:44:29 pm »

I've only tried YADB for a few CDs

That's like saying I flipped a coin a few times and always got heads.

Put ten random store purchased CD's in your machine.  Right click on the CD under Drives and Devices.  Do lookup from Internet.  Report the results.

twobadfish

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 03:58:54 pm »

Yes it works with CD's but my music collection isn't comprised of a lot of CD rips.

Try EasyTag. Load an album, select all files and use lookup CDDb. It gives you a search result window that you can choose. Whether it be CDDb oy YADB it would just be nice if I got a search result window and could decide if I wanted to use the results or not.

221bBS

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 08:35:47 pm »

I tried using YADB like 9 months ago but stopped after a dozen or so submissions. I couldn't figure out how to correct mistakes in the database. I tried to submit the correct data but none of my submissions ever got accepted.  ?

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 11:50:20 am »

That's like saying I flipped a coin a few times and always got heads.

Put ten random store purchased CD's in your machine.  Right click on the CD under Drives and Devices.  Do lookup from Internet.  Report the results.

Like someone mentioned, I have all of my CDs ripped as well, and when I tried the lookup service it was to fill in something missing (a Year or something).  Maybe it works better for CDs.

Anyway, I just tried looking up U2's Joshua Tree... very common, should be in every decent DB.  My mp3s are tagged with proper and clean 'U2', 'Joshua Tree', track names, numbers... I tied deleting '1987' from the year field and using YADB to "lookup track info..." MC analyzed my 11 files and it batted 0 for 11.   

Then I thought that maybe YADB doesn't track years... so I tried deleting a tract number and looking up that track.  Still nothing.  That's why I don't have a great opinion of it. 

Like I said, maybe there are places that it works better (CDs?)...

JONCAT

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 10:10:13 am »

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 12:59:16 pm »

YADB does a good job with CD lookups for me.  I just tried a handful of CDs and it found acceptable info on all of them.  A few typos and missing details (that I corrected and submitted), but track info was there for every CD I tried.  They were all older CDs.  A mix of rock, jazz, and classical.  New releases are probably more likely not to have info, someone needs to be the first to type in the info.  FreeDB does better, but YADB does acceptably well.  When I use FreeDB I have to make corrections to some info there as well.  No database of this nature is going to be perfect.

I have never used the track lookup feature of YADB.  I have never needed it.  All the tracks in my collection have been ripped by me personally or purchased from Amazon.  I have no need to correct bad tags after the fact.

I think there is some confusion about YADB.  There are two parts, the track lookup and the CD lookup.   Some of the confusion with the CD lookup may also be due to some important functionality being hidden behind an obscure right-click context menu.  I was using MC a while before I stumbled on that context menu.  It would be better to duplicate what is in the context menu in the CD ripping UI where the "Play", "Rip Tracks" and "Edit Disc Information" buttons are.

The obscure context menu is accessed by right-clicking on the CD in the "Drives & Devices" tree.  There you will get options to "Submit to Online Database", "Update from Online Database" and "Update from CDPlayer.ini".

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 02:54:06 pm »

Use MC to import FreeDB & CDDB results:

http://digitanalogue.blogspot.com/2008/07/mc12-access-to-gracenote-freedb-yadb.html

DC

i like the album quilt animation you have on that page, would be interesting to have similar with MC.

JONCAT

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 07:50:30 pm »

I wonder if we could edit the code for the PM Track Info to add the LAstFM album quilt. I customized 1.5 IIRC to fit my 1920x1080 desktop better and haven't finished modding it yet...will have to take a look.

dc

MadJewDisaster

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 07:36:29 am »

ok this YADB is a recurrent subject.

I can say than i do not get even a 20% success rate in YADB.
Something to do with kind of music , country and so on.

I use a small player who get infos from Gracenote without registration.
I set it to Save in cd-player.ini folder

From this i right click on the Cd icon in MC tree  and choice Update from CDPlayer.ini

Up to you to upload the cd infos to YADB or not

http://www.vuplayer.com/player.php

YADB is good or bad - JRiver is right or wrong to use it , think what you want , it is here to STAY.
So , just manage to learn how to get infos when they are not in YADB

DarkPenguin

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 10:16:56 pm »

I've been stunned by the CDs it has found.  Of course those are CD lookups.

sle118

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 02:04:27 pm »

YADB is it.  I use it regularly and it does about 80% for me.

If you're using home made disks, it may not work well.

I have recently ripped to FLAC around 2 third of my CD collection, which had been ripped with a mix of MP3 and WMA. I would say that YADB worked for 80% of the time for me. Thank me for adding many disks, including my own scans of CD artwork which were not available from "regular" sources.

Is YADB good enough? Maybe.  It turns out, that the success rate of finding a CD drops to something miserable when ripping Classical CDs, Jazz CDs or new releases on the local market.

I would just love to see a fix or a plugin that would at least expand the search to additional databases when a CD is not found and allow either a direct copy or an easy manual copy. How hard would this be?

JONCAT

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 02:20:52 pm »

There are two free apps that I listed in this thread that can integrate MC to FreeDB and Gracenote. Let's all make sure we utilize this and then upload our libraries to MC when we're done ripping.  8)

DC

sle118

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2008, 03:53:24 pm »

Well, MC is set to automatically upload info to the database.

I am now using an alternate method for ripping rare/old albums:
1- Use BonkEnc (freeware) to encode to Get info from FreeDB and encode to FLAC
2- Media Center finds automatically FLAC files written by BonkEnc
3- Use "Album Art Downloader" (freeware http://sourceforge.net/projects/album-art/) to find album art, copy/paste into MC12

There is a much better success rate at finding albums (although not 100%), and Album Art Downloader helped me find 99% of the Album art pictures.

gappie

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2008, 04:30:27 pm »

...... and then upload our libraries to MC when we're done ripping.  8)

DC
in my understanding there are two databases, one for the cd's one for song recognition. what the doctor says here is good for the song recognition database. the cd database wont do it any good. but on a positive note, i also think that my choices are often of mainstream, but where a year ago i had to type in a cd by hand (it only takes a minute or 5) every second record, i now am suprised how much is already in there, just sometimes i need to fill in all the stuff.. it is improving at a noticeable speed.  :)

gab

globetrotters1

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2008, 06:25:04 am »

I agree with those here who say that they get a 60-80% success rate - for MODERN music (for me)!

My success rate with classical music is something like 20% with YADB - somehow understandable as many of these classical music discs are somehow special versions (all commercial discs but often small productions)

I started to use MP3Tag to add tag info from freedb or from Amazon.com/Amazon.de. A very cool feature is adding the track info from a text file (scan) in that program, so that you don't have to type the whole (which is a tedious work for certain operas and such). Would be a cool addition to MC one day...

The much lower success rate get the cover art pictures. There I switched to 'rateyourmusic.com' (most pix in a decent size) or to my own scans.

My two cents to that...

sle118

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2008, 07:40:12 am »

The much lower success rate get the cover art pictures. There I switched to 'rateyourmusic.com' (most pix in a decent size) or to my own scans.

FYI,  "Album Art Downloader" (freeware http://sourceforge.net/projects/album-art/) is a meta search engine tool that looks in several sources, including rateyourmusic.com. This is a solid piece of software with a great interface. Really worth a look.

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2008, 08:53:29 am »

This discussion has resurfaced a number of times over the past several years, always with the same outcome: YADB is it, Period. End of story.

I don't know what JRiver has to gain by sticking with YADB, or lose by incorporating additional sources (which could then feed YADB automatically), but they have been steadfast in their position and that is not likely to change.

As stated above there are a number of alternative methods to get the info from other sources and transfer it to MC. They all work relatively well, in spite of being cumbersome.

I imagine that someday we will all have submitted enough tag info that YADB will be comparable to the other sources. In the meantime we have no choice but to struggle along as is.
. . . the game is rigged

globetrotters1

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2008, 08:57:30 am »

sle118,

wow, nice hint, tried it and have to say: very useful tool! LOVE IT

THANKS
(such hints make this forum worth sooo much) :)

PS: tried many different freeware and shareware tools for tagging and my clear favourite is MP3Tag from mp3tag.de (just for the albums I get nothing else than track01, track02 ff with the rip; my rate of manually entering tag data is now below 1%)

globetrotters1

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2008, 09:05:45 am »

AoXoMoXoA,

you are right - if enough people would upload their data to YADB - but I'm pretty sure most switched off the upload connection to YADB and don't care much about. Probably it would be a good move of JRiver to publish a sticky message on the forum and ask people with bigger collections to upload their data to YADB to help others

I'll do it one day too as soon as I'm more or less finished with my CD collection rips. But until then it makes no sense as tags change daily...

New Vermaje

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2008, 10:18:01 am »

Hi !

I don't upload my CDs with MC12 : "Submit tracks to Yadb" in MC121 is a stupid way ! (Usually 2 tracks are OK and the others of the Cd are KO !)

But in MC13, all is perfect !

Jean-Marc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up