INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Added edit type "Five stars"  (Read 6242 times)

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
Added edit type "Five stars"
« on: October 21, 2008, 11:04:21 am »

14. NEW: Added edit type "Five stars" that can be selected for user created database fields.
Yeah, thats cool  :D

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 01:16:59 pm »

14. NEW: Added edit type "Five stars" that can be selected for user created database fields.
Yey!
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

outofspace7

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Im using Opera 10 browser! www.opera.com
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 02:14:14 pm »

Just bought :) Thanks for upgrade, thanks for fix polish -A-
 :D
outofspace

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 05:21:10 pm »

Oh my! I'm half way to heaven! Thanks alot! Just this is worth the upgrade.
Now crank the value from 5 to 10 and we can all be REALLY happy ;)
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 05:31:00 pm »

what exactly does this mean?

im new to smartlists....

Must be good from the excitement i'm seeing!!

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Added edit type "Five stars"
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 01:04:21 am »

It means you can create your own library fields that use the same "5 star" system as that used by the default [rating] field.

MrHaugen

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 02:49:47 am »

what exactly does this mean?

im new to smartlists....

Must be good from the excitement i'm seeing!!

It is good. It means that you can add rating stars to you're own custom library fields. Go to Tools -> Options -> Library and Folders -> Manage Library Fields and add you're own fields.
This means alot for the people who uses several ratings in the library. They can now have this visual represented by stars.
Only problem now is that I have to use 6 fields as I use more than 5 numbers for rating :( But it will at least be nice to read my most used rating values with stars!

One thing. The stars are also available when you select any Data Type, and the Edit Type "Five Star" can still be selected. Can it be greyed out when anything but Interer is selected? Would prevent a little confusion maby?

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 03:51:59 am »

One thing. The stars are also available when you select any Data Type, and the Edit Type "Five Star" can still be selected. Can it be greyed out when anything but Interer is selected? Would prevent a little confusion maby?
I was wondering about this to!

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 05:17:09 am »

I am a bit disappointed. I was hoping that it would allow to use any number of stars (i.e. values) and would not be limited to numeric integer values.

For instance, a one-star field could be used as an on/off switch. It could apply a single predifined value when the star is clicked. The value could be anything, like "include in the set". Another calculated field could be used for displaying the value where preferred and naturally it could be used in a search or smartlist rule.

Here is more info: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=36753.0
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

RedJ

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 10:11:18 am »

I agree with Alex that this wasn't quite the implementation I was hoping for.  I put this info in the original thread Alex references, but this is a fresher thread, so here's what I'd like:

I'm glad the 5-Star functionality has been added, it will at least allow me to cludge around my problem, assuming I have a list with 5 items or less and I want to memorize what each value signifies.  However, I think the more universal solution still should be a multi-selector checklist dropdown of an arbitrary number of list items.  This would allow users to create any system they like for quick tagging of custom attributes.  It would also reduce selection of list items in a minimum of two quick clicks instead of 1) click field 2) chose items from field selector window that comes up 3) close field window (keep in mind that there are also significant interface inefficiencies that accompany this seemingly insignificant one extra click).

Here's an attempt at an ascii depiction of a dropdown custom field I would use:
|[  ] Language - Mild            |
|[  ] Sex                            |
|[X] Violence                      |
  ----------------------------
This would be used to filter for if there are children present or for certain situations/company where I may want to prevent tracks dropping the f-bomb and rapping about strippers from coming on all of a sudden.

MrHaugen

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 02:51:02 pm »

I agree with Alex that this wasn't quite the implementation I was hoping for.  I put this info in the original thread Alex references, but this is a fresher thread, so here's what I'd like:

That's something quite different than star ratings is it not? What you are asking for is almost completely implemented already I belive. Try to make you're own field with Data Type: List (Semicolon Delimited) and enter you're string values. It will give you check mark boxes as you edit the tags.

jgreen

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 05:32:01 pm »

This slavish adherence to a number-based rating system really leaves hummingbirds out in the cold.

RedJ

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2008, 04:51:04 pm »

That's something quite different than star ratings is it not? What you are asking for is almost completely implemented already I belive. Try to make you're own field with Data Type: List (Semicolon Delimited) and enter you're string values. It will give you check mark boxes as you edit the tags.

If you look at the post Alex linked to, the larger discussion was having more flexible ways of working with custom fields from a user interface perspective.  Many of us have our own custom fields to serve one purpose or another.  A 5 star rating interface really only addresses one narrow custom field need, which seems like a pretty limiting approach.  With a more flexible approach to custom fields editing methods, I think the possibilities for use would expand greatly.

I am already using delimited lists, but it comes down to what I consider a pretty substantial user interface inefficiency.  I really dislike having to click a custom field, having it open a big inline dialog where the list is nowhere near the location my pointer just clicked.  Then, after making my selections having to manually close the dialog.  MC already has much more efficient interfaces for this type of list selection implemented elsewhere.  If users had the ability to select the input form method from a decent variety of standard types when they set up the custom field, the custom fields would instantly become more efficient than many of the approaches that users currently have to use to work around their needs.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 02:34:27 pm »

I am a bit disappointed. I was hoping that it would allow to use any number of stars (i.e. values) and would not be limited to numeric integer values.

What he said :)

For instance, a one-star field could be used as an on/off switch. It could apply a single predifined value when the star is clicked. The value could be anything, like "include in the set". Another calculated field could be used for displaying the value where preferred and naturally it could be used in a search or smartlist rule.

An interesting idea, never thought of using a star for a boolean field.

MrHaugen

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 05:09:25 pm »

I agree. A way to add custom star fields with any given value would be the best.
Maby not for the actual rating field, as it could add problems for support of portable players etc, but as a way of setting you're own number for the custom fields.
Enyhow, I belive that half star ratings would be good, even here. To be able to have larger values and save some space. A rating field with 10-15 stars would not look pretty in most cases.

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2008, 08:36:25 pm »

I can't seem to get this to work for the Tempo field I created. I want to use stars and I copied the settings from the Rating field but it's not working.I'm assuming you can set star ratings in a user field but clicking like you do with ratings.  I have version 13.036

MrHaugen

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 06:40:55 am »

I can't seem to get this to work for the Tempo field I created. I want to use stars and I copied the settings from the Rating field but it's not working.I'm assuming you can set star ratings in a user field but clicking like you do with ratings.  I have version 13.036

The data must be Integer and the value have to be 1;2;3;4;5 I belive.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 06:59:09 am »

This is correct. As I have tried to explain those limitations could be removed.

If the value list could contain other than integer values then it could simply link the first value in the list to the first star, the second value in the list to the second star and so on. The number of stars would be the same as the number of values in the list so it would not be limited to five.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2008, 09:54:45 am »

That's what I did. There was another value "Standard" which is what was in the Rating field. I can get a drop down list with values 1-5, but not stars.  And the drop down list is not very convienent for rating hundreds of files so that's why I'm hoping to see stars.

MrHaugen

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 05:12:31 pm »

It's not "Standard". Edit type is "Five Stars".

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2008, 06:22:30 pm »

Makes sense but I don't have that option.  I checked for updates and none are available.

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2008, 06:47:34 pm »

Well I did not have the latest version [deleted]

edited to say, I could not name the field Tempo, used Intensity and that worked. Cool and thanks

MrHaugen

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2008, 02:57:32 am »

Well I did not have the latest version [deleted]

edited to say, I could not name the field Tempo, used Intensity and that worked. Cool and thanks
I was about to ask you if you were stuck on MC 12 :)

Would recommend you to make you're own fields, not standard fields that's used with MC. Audio analysis uses the fields you have been trying (tempo and intensity).

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2008, 09:05:57 am »

I was about to ask you if you were stuck on MC 12 :)

Would recommend you to make you're own fields, not standard fields that's used with MC. Audio analysis uses the fields you have been trying (tempo and intensity).

yeah I changed to Speed, Intensity was causing some problems. That doesn't sound very elegant, if I name it Speed but display it as Intensity would that work? I assume that would give me too Intensitys in the list, but I can remember which is which.

I did have MC 13 but not the latest.

MrHaugen

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2008, 03:44:11 am »

The display name can be the same. But the real name should be unique. It might be confusing when you set up views and similar, but should not be much more problems.

I've been using the built in tempo and intensity tags. Sometimes they're off, but it's a easier to change a few rather than to set new tags for all files. If you have to use the 5 star rating system I would recommend to split up the tempo numbers 1-200'ish into 5 groups. For example: 1 star = 1-69, 2 stars = 70-119 etc. In other words, just copy the analysis numbers to a new field with fewer numbers (stars). Would save you alot of tagging I suppose.

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2008, 09:46:42 am »

The display name can be the same. But the real name should be unique. It might be confusing when you set up views and similar, but should not be much more problems.

I've been using the built in tempo and intensity tags. Sometimes they're off, but it's a easier to change a few rather than to set new tags for all files. If you have to use the 5 star rating system I would recommend to split up the tempo numbers 1-200'ish into 5 groups. For example: 1 star = 1-69, 2 stars = 70-119 etc. In other words, just copy the analysis numbers to a new field with fewer numbers (stars). Would save you alot of tagging I suppose.
I'll try that, right now I don't believe I have any numerical ratings for tempo and intensity. I have the box checked to analyze files when they are imported, do I have to do a seperate analysis for those?

MrHaugen

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2008, 09:54:45 am »

If you had them imported before you marked the "analysis on import" option, then yes.
It's probably under  right click tracks and library tools.
Pages: [1]   Go Up