INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover Art not recognized with MC13  (Read 2588 times)

badger

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Cover Art not recognized with MC13
« on: November 02, 2008, 05:08:47 pm »

Still have cover art problems with 13.0.62.  I've had this issue since the first MC13 preview, but I haven't had any response to this question yet...

The cover art that I have is all inside the files.  Some art displays but most doesn't.  The files are all mp3s.  The tag field does show "inside file" but the cover art does not display.  How can I troubleshoot this situation?  I've unistalled, reinstalled, rebooted, reimported...but no luck.  I have an exact copy of my music files on a separate PC running MC12, and all the cover art displays.

The "inside" art for these files will also display correctly with Media Jukebox, iTunes and/or WMP.

Help please....and thanks in advance.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Cover Art not recognized with MC13
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 05:11:39 pm »

It always helps if you use reply in your old thread....

Send a file that won't work in MC13 to matt at jriver with a link to this thread.

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 09:52:53 pm »

I just installed MC13.0.62 on a w2k box that has been running MC11.  None of the cover art is coming up. 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 09:55:40 pm »

Change your cover art location in MC Options, select a few files, right click and do Quick Find.

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 05:35:27 am »

It would help if the Get cover art dialog box had better options.  Add a button for "Skip" and since you can move to the next batch, having a button labeled "Cancel" is not accurate.  What's going to get canceled here?  Just that one screen, or all of them previously? 

Also, it would REALLY help to have the ability select the art from a local file.  That is, when looking at the track (in the Get dialog) it would be great if the program could allow you to open THAT DIRECTORY for the cover file.  Right now it just goes to the last folder opened, not the one containing the track.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 06:30:22 am »

I just installed MC13.0.62 on a w2k box that has been running MC11.  None of the cover art is coming up.

It would help if the Get cover art dialog box had better options.  Add a button for "Skip" and since you can move to the next batch, having a button labeled "Cancel" is not accurate.  What's going to get canceled here?  Just that one screen, or all of them previously?

The Get Cover Art tool can download cover from the online database or keep your existing cover art (and submit it if when "existing" is selected and it is not in the online database yet). It is not for finding cover art from a local HD.

It would be easier to help you if you could explain where you have the cover art files now. What is/was your chosen cover art location option in MC11.1? (I assume you had MC11.1 installed.)

In general, if you had external cover art and you restored an MC11.1 library the cover art links should have survived untouched. However, if you used the default cover art location it is under the MC11.1 application data location. The old application data files will not be preserved if you do a full uninstall of MC11.1. MC13 has a tool for moving existing cover art to a new location.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 07:14:20 am »

I didn't import from MC11.  I loaded tracks fresh.  I can't say, for sure, whether they had cover art inside the files or not.  I do know there was a folder.jpg with them.  Along with some others named "AlbumArt_{guid}_Large" and another small. 

While I realise "get covert art" is not a local tool, if the online database doesn't HAVE the suitable art it's rather disruptive to not be able to use that current context to GO GET THE RIGHT ART.  Why force people over into a whole other process, one that's not very intuitive?

Cover Art is one of those trival little UI things that, if not handled effectively, leaves users with a seriously bad impression.  Yes, it's a mess, and yes it's hard to program around it effectively.  But if you're going to do it....

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 07:35:34 am »

MC13 has vastly superior cover art tools when compared with MC11.1. The new and redesigned tools are intended to make cover art related tasks easier.

"AlbumArt_{guid}_Large" and similar hidden files are from WMP. MC does not use them. However, it should be able to use embedded cover art and folder.jpg files automatically without problems. This has not changed in MC13.

Do you still have MC11.1 (or MC11) installed? If yes, please check which cover art location option it is set to use. In addition, you can add the Image File column to a details view in MC11.1 for checking the exact cover art links. Maybe I could help you if you can provide more info.

BTW, do you have a specific reason for not restoring your old library? You will be losing all playlists, import dates and statistic information.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 03:06:31 pm »

Thanks for the file.  This issue is from an ambiguity in the ID3v2 specification.  Different programs write unsynchronized ID3v2 frames different ways.

Foobar writes the encoded frame size in the frame header when the entire tag is unsynchronized.  The file you sent writes the decoded frame size in the header.  The specification doesn't make it clear which one is right.

We'll make our decoder handle both in a coming build.

Thanks again.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

badger

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 05:54:09 pm »

Thanks Matt!  I'll wait for the new build.  In the mean time, maybe there's some sort of tag rebuilder/converter I can run them through?  And if it's not too technical.....what's an "unsynchronized tag"?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 08:35:24 am »

In the mean time, maybe there's some sort of tag rebuilder/converter I can run them through?

I'd just wait.

And if it's not too technical.....what's an "unsynchronized tag"?

It's pretty simple.  You switch the tag so if there are a bunch of binary 1's in a row, you change it.  This is done because a bunch of binary 1's in a row means "here's some audio" for an MP3, and old players might get confused if the tag looked like audio.

Here's more info:
http://id3.org/id3guide#head-68780114f515c6be266d4f967e84f2b35271e10e
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up