INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stacks menu missing?  (Read 1064 times)

dcwebman

• Citizen of the Universe
Stacks menu missing?
« on: December 12, 2008, 07:54:16 am »

It's been awhile since I have looked at the use of stacks with images so maybe I missed some change. I went to the stock Image views and chose the Shortcuts, Keywords, & Ratings view. In trying the different View As options under the Panes header, some of them don't have the Stacks menu. For example in Panes and Album Thumbnails, I had some keywords and selected one that showed one image that was stacked with 2 images as I could tell by hovering over it. However, there is no Stacks menu that I can unstack them to see what they are.

I guess the real question is, what's the difference between Panes and Album Thumbnails & Panes and Thumbnails?
Jeff

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Stacks menu missing?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 02:53:49 pm »

Confusing, isn't it? It seems to me Panes and Album Thumbnails and Panes and Thumbnails are fundamentally different than the other thumbnail View As settings. The thumbnails represent albums or tracks respectively, and do not stack. At least I haven't seen them do so. Because we're used to stacked thumbnails, some of us expect to see them stacked when we select Group By (artist, for example). But no, that just affects how the thumbnails are arranged.

I'm sure the reason for this is stacked thumbnails are used for filtering in the thumbnail views. You can drill-down by double-clicking on them, or jump another category using links that appear on hover. In the pane views, the panes are used for filtering. I suppose the idea is providing two methods of filtering would be confusing, and might cause conflicts. I haven't thought that one through, and I'm not even sure how things have changed since MC12. I think this does warrant some consideration, however. In other words, would it be possible and practical to allow the option of stacking thumbnails in pane views in the same way they will do so in thumbnail views?

If I had the choice, however, I would probably use Panes and Album Thumbnails as is—without stacking. A small change I would like to see is groups to be separated from one another (e.g., by heading and/or horizontal rule).
Pages: [1]   Go Up