INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions about using a Pocket PC for a handheld player.  (Read 6166 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Questions about using a Pocket PC for a handheld player.
« on: December 12, 2008, 09:22:56 pm »

I've recently been investigating using some sort of Pocket PC for a handheld player, but I have some questions about this.

1)  Does anyone make one with a normal size hard drive?  An absolute bare minimum would probably be 60GB, but I'd really like it to be considerably larger than this if at all possible.

2)  When syncing a unit with MC, will my edited tags for Audible files (which are only saved in the MC library and not to the actual files themselves) be visible on the device?  My edited Audible tags from the MC library are correctly transferred over to an iPod -- I'd like this to continue to be the case with my next handheld because the default Audible tags are really poor in many cases.

3)  Are there any specific features of either the handheld itself of the playback software that I would want to look for in order to ensure the highest compatibility with MC?  Would this effect question #2 above?

4)  Given that I am totally inexperienced with "Pocket PCs" or "PDA's" in general, are there issues I might not be considering?  I'm wondering if there are certain questions that I don't even know to ask.

5)  Are there any handheld devices that I could actually RUN MC on?  THIS would really be the holy grail scenario.  If there is such a device, how would the "sync" process work such that I'd end with all my tag info transferred over on Audible files (see question #2 above)?

Thanks for any feedback on this,

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
Re: Questions about using a Pocket PC for a handheld player.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 04:47:04 am »

Just bumping this with the hope that I can get some feedback on this subject.

One question I forgot to ask about was if/how bookmarking would work on something like this.  At this time, I can use MC's "use bookmarking" tag in any mp3 and it automatically bookmarks on the iPod.  I use this all the time with my mp3 audiobooks and radio shows.  Does MC have to be specifically programed to do this with any given unit?  How do I find out if the MC bookmarking feature would work with a unit I was considering?

Thanks,

Larry

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 07:50:44 am »

Most "PDAs" are dying in the market, being replaced by Smartphones and are flash storage based.   If you need something with a lot of storage, I'd consider something like an Archos (there are a few other brands of similar devices as well).  Most of the phones don't even have much built-in storage (using flash memory cards for most of it other than for the OS).  The iPhone is a notable exception, though whether that is good or bad depends on your needs and point of view.  The Archos-devices have lots of multi-function capabilities (including web browsing, email, and similar functions over WiFi) and are really quite nice.

If you need only music, I'd consider something more like a Sansa/iPod.  If you want a real multi-function device and this is more important than storage, I'd look at a Smartphone: iPhone, G1, Blackberry.  There are a few good Windows Mobile phones too, but if I was going that route I'd consider the G1 strongly (despite the problems it has -- lack of a headphone jack being the primary WTF issue).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 08:00:16 am »

A G1 has a headphone jack.  It's just that it isn't a standard one.  It uses the same connector that the USB cable uses, the small D shaped one.  It comes with earbuds, and I've read that an adaptor is available for standard headphones.

I agree with glynor that smart phones are the future.  They use solid state memor, but the prices of it are coming down fast.

I wrote about the G1 here.  Matt added support for it in MC 13.0.94.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 10:01:35 am »

A G1 has a headphone jack.  It's just that it isn't a standard one.  It uses the same connector that the USB cable uses, the small D shaped one.  It comes with earbuds, and I've read that an adaptor is available for standard headphones.

Sorry, Jim.  A USB plug is not a headphone jack, even when it carries analog audio.  However, it is worth noting that all the currently shipping G1s now come with a USB -> 3.5mm miniature stereo adapter in the box.  This is a new thing and your developer version probably doesn't get that perk.

The problem with that is the same as the problem with the original iPhone... You can lose the adapter (or forget it) and then you're SOL.  I bet the next iteration of the Google phone from HTC has a standard 3.5mm miniature jack.

Either way, I'd say that if you are willing to look for (and pay the monthly bill for) a phone, that the iPhone and G1 are both worthy of serious consideration.  Syncing to my iPhone with MC was a bit of a hassle to get set up at first, but I've gotten it mostly sorted out now (at the expense only of 10GB or so of hard drive space).  Hopefully the 3rd Party sync project underway will make this a bit better.

If you are looking for something similar with no monthly bill, I don't think you can go wrong with an iPod Touch.  They are REALLY nice, and the games available for them are fun (Dizzy Bee has still held my interest, but things like Metal Gear and Silent Hill are coming out for it soon).

And, lastly, if you're a little more willing to sacrifice "pocket portability" for disk storage (and likewise to sacrifice usability for format support) then I'd look an an Archos.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 10:05:50 am »

I agree with your comments about connectors, but remember that the G1 is only the first Android phone.  I think there will be Androids from all phone manufacturers within a couple of years.  It's a game changer, in my opinion.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 10:10:52 am »

A final option, if you really want to sacrifice pocket-portability for usability (and fulfill that dream request #5 above):
Asus eeePC 1000H (or Acer Aspire One).

I LOVE my ASUS 1000H.  It is absolutely tiny.  Hard to imagine until you see and hold one in person.  The Acer is actually even smaller (though it has some upgradability issues that you have to watch out for).  Tech Report did a fantastic netbook roundup for the back to school season fairly recently which is worth reading up on (though the prices have dropped a little since then): http://techreport.com/articles.x/15414/1

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 10:23:34 am »

I agree with your comments about connectors, but remember that the G1 is only the first Android phone.  I think there will be Androids from all phone manufacturers within a couple of years.  It's a game changer, in my opinion.

Oh, I agree!  The current G1 just had too many issues for me personally to have been a contender when I was considering a smartphone.  I researched it thoroughly before I took the iPhone plunge, and unlike Apple products, there was plenty of pre-release info to be had.  The most important issues with the G1 that excluded it for me were: (1) I needed Exchange support for email and calendaring (or at LEAST IMAP -- being locked to Gmail and Google Calendar only was unacceptable) and (2) I needed Office document support (especially PowerPoint and Word) and PDF support (the graphic artists in my group at work send me AI/PDF files all the time).

Like I said... I demoed one (through work) for a little over a week after they came out.  It was really nice.  I would say that it would absolutely get the pick over ANY of the Windows Mobile devices (or Palm devices) that I've seen or tried so far.  However, a bunch of things just weren't quite "there" yet, in both the hardware and the software.  Using it side by side with the iPhone really made these things shine.

I don't mind tweaking and little niggling issues with a computer.  I like them, even.  On a phone, though, it needs to "Just Work", and the iPhone does.

I certainly wish they weren't winning the Douchebag Award for their software support side, but that's Apple.  And there is something to be said for the fact that the closed ecosystem affords them a singular focus.   That focus is a big part of what allows them to really make sure that their products do pass that "Just Works" test.  They don't have to spend time worrying about all those third party hardware vendors and software vendors.  It is a problem that Microsoft knows well from the Windows Mobile world.  I think that, considering the challenge, Google has done a good job so far in their first outing.  The proof is in the pudding though, and we'll see how much polish they're able to add to the OS in that 2 year period when simultaneously dealing with all the third party headaches.

If anyone can pull it off well, I'd say it'd be them.  But don't minimize the challenge.  Just like it is difficult (and probably slows you down) to deal with all of us and our weird issues and needs, it'll slow Google down to deal with Nokia vs. Lenovo vs. HTC (not to mention the software vendors and developers).

That said, the future iteration of the Google Phone will certainly receive a stong consideration in 19 months or so when my iPhone contract is up.  I'd much rather not deal with the closed ecosystem, of course.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 10:30:55 am »

Larry,
Sorry for hi-jacking your thread.  When I figure out what it's about, I'll split the conversation off.

glynor,
I don't care about Exchange.  google's tools are fine for me.  I understand that you work for The Man.

On other MS tools, I'm completely off Word and Excel.  I've been using Open Office for about two years.  It was only slightly painful, and only for a month or so.

On PDF, would conversion to JPG by MC help?  (IF you had a device we could write to.)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 10:54:58 am »

On PDF, would conversion to JPG by MC help?  (IF you had a device we could write to.)

Unfortunately, no.  I need direct vector access to them when they're sent via email.  My department has 5 graphic artists who live in InDesign and Illustrator.  I'd say I receive 10-20 PDF files per week via email.

The fancy auto-conversion thing that the Google system allows was no where near good enough (and seemed to be targeted mostly at converting multi-page Word-like documents).

Personally, I love (and use myself on many of my machines) OpenOffice, but the same can't be said for everyone else that I correspond with and receive documents from for work purposes.  Just one example, my Communications office sends me Word documents regularly that I need for video shoots (schedules and instructions and whatnot) while on the road.

The other major issue I had (other than overall polish and consistency of the UI) when test-driving it was the mobile web browser.  It was good.  It made the browsers I've tried on Palms, Blackberries, and Windows Mobile devices all seem like toys.  However, it was no Mobile Safari in so many ways.  Some of the features that are second nature on Mobile Safari were hidden under menus on the G1, and other things just weren't quite as simple.  Zoom in and out, for example, is HUGELY important on a little screen like that.  The iPhone's implementation of this is vastly superior to Android's.  Now, the upside is that Mozilla and Opera will be afforded their own shot at it on the G1.  However, you then run back into the third party conundrum and on a limited resource device like a phone, that comes with it's own problems.  And, again, I worry about things like security issues and updates and API issues holding Google back from finishing the very real UI polish and development that they need to complete.

Again, though, to each their own.  One giant feature of the G1 that means absolutely nothing to me (the hardware keyboard) means a LOT to other people.  My typing was just as slow on the G1 as it is on the iPhone (after a week getting used to it).  But I don't type long messages on my iPhone ever.  I use the keyboard to search on the web and type Twitter messages.  I have a laptop in my bag at almost all times for typing email replies that are more than a few sentences.

And, again, the biggest promise of the Google Phone -- the unfiltered and unlimited 3rd Party software support -- is just that... Promise.  It isn't a feature that you can use for anything real yet as an end-user.  The iPhone App Store has VASTLY more useful and developed applications available, despite the limits.  This also could potentially be the Google Phone's biggest liability.  Security vulnerabilities become a much larger issue without that filter, and the inundation of "dreck" will be increasingly difficult to wade through.  Not to mention that the disconnect between software and hardware will force many developers (especially those designing for-pay apps) to design to the lowest common denominator.  The G1 doesn't have a powerful GPU.  So, even if Lenovo comes out with one that does, most third party developers will be hesitant to use it because it will split the market for their software product.  (And so on and so forth.)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 11:13:54 am »

Keyboard -- I like having it on the G1.  I hated the iPhone's on screen keyboard.
Market -- Apple will sell what is good for Apple.  We would have zero chance of getting a media player accepted, for example. 

Android is early.  People thought UNIX and Linux were fringe once.  Google was an upstart once, far behind Yahoo.

Anyway, choice is good.  I'm glad you have your iPhone.  It's very pretty.   ;)

I don't understand this:
Just one example, my Communications office sends me Word documents regularly that I need for video shoots (schedules and instructions and whatnot) while on the road.
Open Office reads and saves Word files.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 12:02:36 pm »

I don't understand this: Open Office reads and saves Word files.

Just to explain... It isn't about Open Office at all.  The G1 doesn't handle many of them right (at least in my testing).  I need to be able to access them directly, in my email inbox, on the phone from "on the road".

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 12:03:54 pm »

OK.  I understand now.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 12:05:36 pm »

Android is early.  People thought UNIX and Linux were fringe once.  Google was an upstart once, far behind Yahoo.

Anyway, choice is good. 

I absolutely agree.  Like I said... We will see where things lie in 19 months or so when it is time for a new one.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2008, 03:58:39 am »

Thanks for the feedback.  In responding to the suggestions, please remember that I'm not trying to just "shoot down" your ideas (which I ery much appreciate.)  The devices suggested so far, however, won't work for the following reasons:

If you need something with a lot of storage, I'd consider something like an Archos (there are a few other brands of similar devices as well).

Unfortunately, the Archos devices don't support audible files, so these are not viable options since I don't want to get caught up the whole issue of converting audible files to regular mp3s.  While this can be done, the idea here is to get something that doesn't need so much extra work to get it to work.

If you need only music, I'd consider something more like a Sansa/iPod.

This whole thing started due to the uncertain future of the iPod or other Apple devices with MC (which appears to be code for "don't expect it to keep working in the future.")  Third party plugins may help alleviated this issue at some point, but with apple putting so much effort toward preventing this sort of thing from working, along with the fact that the plugin will need to stay on top of JR updates as well, I fear that this could be a potentially tedious situation.

In other words, the iPod or any other apple product is simply not an option.

The Sansas do not offer gapless playback, which is an instant and total deal breaker.  I absolutely require gapless playback for many of the bands that I listen to.  If the Sansas DO eventually offer gapless playback, they'd be a possibility IF they offered large SD card support -- 64GB in the near future, and 128GB cards next year some time.  (128GB cards, by the way, will finally render hard drives necessary in these devices.)

If you want a real multi-function device and this is more important than storage, I'd look at a Smartphone: iPhone, G1, Blackberry.  There are a few good Windows Mobile phones too, but if I was going that route I'd consider the G1 strongly

Again, apple products are the CAUSE of this thread, so the iPhone is out.  I don't need a multi-function device -- I just want a media playback device.  Music-only would be acceptable if all the other conditions are met, but I'd like video and photo capability as well.  I really don't need it to be a phone, and I'd actually prefer it not to be since the extra electronics just take space away that would be better used for better amps, more storage, etc.  That said, being a phone would not "eliminate" a device from contention.

The iPhone is obviously not a contender due to the reasons already stated. Neither the G1 nor any of the blackberries offer enough storage space.  Carrying at least a "very large" portion of my library is a "must-have" feature, so 60GB or more is required.  I would be willing to TEMPORARILY settle for 32GB, but only if 64GB or larger support was going to be added in the not-to-distant future.

A final option, if you really want to sacrifice pocket-portability for usability (and fulfill that dream request #5 above):
Asus eeePC 1000H (or Acer Aspire One).

Pocket-portability is mandatory -- I could deal with something a "bit" bigger than an iPod Classic, but even the smallest notebook/laptop is much too big.  I've seen some very small "pocket" computers from a company called oqo, but I'm afraid that these might cross the "size" line, and they're really expensive (over $1K.)

I certainly wish they weren't winning the Douchebag Award for their software support side, but that's Apple.  And there is something to be said for the fact that the closed ecosystem affords them a singular focus.   That focus is a big part of what allows them to really make sure that their products do pass that "Just Works" test.

Unfortunately, this also leads to the incredibly myopic designs of apple devices.  If the guy in charge doesn't personally need a feature, this feature simply isn't considered regardless of how many customers ask for it.  People desperately pleaded with apple to implement gapless playback in iPods for YEARS before apple finally incorporated it.  The REALLY frustrating part is that the hardware was capable of this for years -- Rockbox proved this.  Apple, however, decided that regardless of the numerous posts on their forums and online petitions asking for this, they just wouldn't' consider it.

I've looked a LOTS of different handheld devices online, some from companies that I've never heard of before.  So far, ALL of them are missing one or more of the features I need OTHER than the iPod Classic, which brings us back to the the issue of potential MC compatibility issues and the reason I started this thread.  The thing that attracted me to "pocket PC" or "PDA" units is the fact that you can buy different software for media playback on these devices.  This means that you have more choices in finding something that suits your needs, along with the idea that as new software comes out, you can "upgrade" the player simply by upgrading the playback software.  Unfortunately, I cannot find a pocket pc type unit with a decent amount of storage.

Larry,
Sorry for hi-jacking your thread.  When I figure out what it's about, I'll split the conversation off.

No problem -- I just hope you guys remember to come back to THIS thread after you split the other conversation off.

Thanks again,

Larry

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2008, 12:57:04 pm »

Yeah... It sounds like you've ruled out everything.

Sorry, but I disagree somewhat, though.  Even if Jim doesn't like it, J River will HAVE TO support Apple iPods in some manner for the forseeable future.  Maybe not all the fancy ones like the Touch or the Phone, but for a media management app to rule out supporting the iPod completely is suicide in the current market.

That might change, but it is equally likely to not.  FWIW, I don't think the rule-out ever applied to all Apple devices.  I'm pretty sure they already got MC working with the new 4th Gen Nanos (thought I could be wrong).

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2008, 03:03:31 pm »

Sorry, but I disagree somewhat, though.  Even if Jim doesn't like it, J River will HAVE TO support Apple iPods in some manner for the forseeable future.  Maybe not all the fancy ones like the Touch or the Phone, but for a media management app to rule out supporting the iPod completely is suicide in the current market.
Bold statement.

Currently all iPods work with MC.  Touch and iPhone do not.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2008, 07:46:04 pm »

Do you disagree?  Two to three years from now MAY be a different story (and I'd say I would hope so, as much as a fan I am of their products, I HATE the lock-in with a passion, which is why I resisted getting any portable for so long)...  However, right now if you stripped out all iPod support from MC, what do you think would happen?

The world is what the world is... Why do you think all the other DRM schemes failed (Napster, Yahoo, and the rest)?  Many users here may be different, but literally NO ONE I know in "real" life would buy a premium media app if it didn't work with their portable, and they all have iPods. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2008, 07:47:45 pm »

I think Apple's closed world is starting to erode around the edges.

We're not going to contribute anything more to their success.  Not that they will notice.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2008, 12:27:01 am »

Yeah... It sounds like you've ruled out everything.

Hopefully not "everything" -- just nothing I've found yet.  It's just really hard to find a unit with no deal-breakers that will most likely continue to be supported by MC.  Jim's recent responses to posts on the subject appear to be indicating (Jim -- please correct me if I'm mistaken on this) that he does not want to keep going around in circles with apple, who actively keep trying to shut down support by other programs.

I've expressed this exact opinion in other threads, and asked about this subject on more than one occasion, but once again, the responses do not inspire confidence that the iPod will continue to be supported the next time apple throws a curve ball.  I agree that iPod support (or lack of it) could have a powerful impact MC sales.

That might change, but it is equally likely to not.  FWIW, I don't think the rule-out ever applied to all Apple devices.  I'm pretty sure they already got MC working with the new 4th Gen Nanos (thought I could be wrong).

It definitely applied to iPods, which were the only units that were specifically mentioned by Jim in the "Do not update iTunes" and "New iPod firmware breaks iPod support" threads.

All that said, I would actually like to find an alternative to the iPod anyway since it has some really irritating aspects such as it's unbelievably poor audiobook management, and it's lack of a user configurable EQ (combined with it's poor EQ presets.)  With the introduction of larger flash memory cards (64GB on the verge of going mainstream, and 128GB on the horizon), pocket PC type devices (which don't use hard drives) are suddenly a viable option to me.  This could potentially offer a LOT of flexibility since I could select from a number of different players depending on the features I need, and from what I've seen, players that have the features I need are available, they continue to be updated, and new ones continue to be released.  This leads to my next post (below), which I think deserves to be separate.

Thanks,

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2008, 02:32:59 am »

Leaving behind the idea of "other" players for the moment and concentrating on the original idea of using a pocket pc device for a player (assuming I can find one that accepts large flash cards), it would really help me to get some feedback on the other questions from the first posts in this thread, i.e:

1)  When syncing a unit with MC, will my edited tags for Audible files (which are only saved in the MC library and not to the actual files themselves) be visible on the device?  My edited Audible tags from the MC library are correctly transferred over to an iPod -- I'd like this to continue to be the case with my next handheld because the default Audible tags are really poor in many cases.

2)  Are there any specific features of either the handheld itself of the playback software that I would want to look for in order to ensure the highest compatibility with MC?

3)  Given that I am totally inexperienced with "Pocket PCs" or "PDA's" in general, are there issues I might not be considering?  I'm wondering if there are certain questions that I don't even know to ask -- features that I don't realize I'd be giving up?

4)  Bookmarking:  At this time, I can use MC's "use bookmarking" tag in any mp3 and it automatically bookmarks on the iPod.  I use this all the time with my mp3 audiobooks and radio shows.  Does MC have to be specifically programed to do this with any given unit, or is there some sort of "standard" capability?  How do I find out if the MC bookmarking feature would work with a unit I was considering?

Thanks again for any feedback to these questions,

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2008, 07:17:18 am »

Just to update this, it looks like the HP iPAQ 111 or 211 (MUST they mimic apple's name?) may be possibilities.  I can't find official specs for the size of storage cards these can take, but the 211 has both a CF and an SD slot (high capacity) that can apparently BOTH be used at the same time, and I saw a comment from a user saying they used a 32GB CF card with it.  These units use "Microsoft Windows Mobile 6 Classic" -- I have NO idea what the implications of this might be, meaning the questions in my last post are still crucial to my understanding the situation, but at least I now have a specific unit to ask about.  The only downside will be the price after including the flash memory card/s, but I think this one is potentially "within reach."

Can a Microsoft Windows Mobile 6 Classic device run some form playback software be "synced" with MC such that the parameters I listed above all work (i.e. audible tags from MC transferred over, MC "use bookmarking" tag obeyed, etc.)?  Does it depend on the specific playback software used, and if so, is there one that you know of that works with MC?  If not, is there some type of feature I need to look for?

I really appreciate the feedback on this.  This is an exciting possibility, but I am totally in the dark about what's "possible" with a device like this and MC.

Thanks,

Larry

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2008, 07:33:43 am »

Just to update this, it looks like the HP iPAQ 111 or 211 (MUST they mimic apple's name?)
Remember that HP bought Compaq a few years ago.  And, in spite of what Apple thinks, they don't own the letter "i".  They also don't own their fruity namesake.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2008, 03:58:29 pm »

Remember that HP bought Compaq a few years ago.  And, in spite of what Apple thinks, they don't own the letter "i".  They also don't own their fruity namesake.

That explains the "paq" part, but couldn't they have been just a LITTLE more original with the name?

Any feedback on the questions about using MC and a device like this (i.e. a "Windows Mobile" device)?  I really have no idea how syncing works in this type of scenario.  Is an MC sync with a Windows mobile device simply a file transfer operation, or do tags from the MC library somehow transfer over for files that can't be written to the actual files?  I'm really interested in finding out if this would be a viable alternative to the iPod for my purposes.

Thanks,

Larry

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2008, 04:31:53 pm »

That explains the "paq" part, but couldn't they have been just a LITTLE more original with the name?
Well, you finally made me go looking.  It turns out that iPaq was first used by Compaq before 2000:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipaq

and iPod was first used by Apple in 2001:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipod

Those fruits.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2008, 05:28:10 pm »

Well, you finally made me go looking.  It turns out that iPaq was first used by Compaq before 2000:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipaq

and iPod was first used by Apple in 2001:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipod

Those fruits.

In that case, couldn't apple have been more original?

Any feedback on those questions?  I REALLY could use some help with what to expect (see questions a few posts back) when syncing to a Windows Mobile Device.

Thanks,

Larry

raldo

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2008, 05:30:40 pm »

[...]
Any feedback on the questions about using MC and a device like this (i.e. a "Windows Mobile" device)?  I really have no idea how syncing works in this type of scenario.  Is an MC sync with a Windows mobile device simply a file transfer operation, or do tags from the MC library somehow transfer over for files that can't be written to the actual files?  I'm really interested in finding out if this would be a viable alternative to the iPod for my purposes.

Thanks,

Larry

I use MC13 with a WM6.1 device (XP). My device is an HTC which by default has both WMP and a "proprietary player". I'm currently using Pocket Player for playback.

The setup works quite well, I think. I cannot answer your question about the tag transfer, though, maybe someone on Windows Mobile Forum or Conduits (Pocket Player) can give you an answer? I believe the synch involves a WMP plugin on the device somehow...

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2008, 05:47:54 pm »

I use MC13 with a WM6.1 device (XP). My device is an HTC which by default has both WMP and a "proprietary player". I'm currently using Pocket Player for playback.

The setup works quite well, I think. I cannot answer your question about the tag transfer, though, maybe someone on Windows Mobile Forum or Conduits (Pocket Player) can give you an answer? I believe the synch involves a WMP plugin on the device somehow...

Thanks for the feedback.

I've been reading some disturbing comments on some of the Pocket PC playback software, including "Pocket Player," that say that these don't do "true" gapless playback of mp3s, but rather that they do some sort of "pseudo-gapless" playback like short crossfading.  Do you know anything about this?  The majority of music I listen to needs "true" gapless playback like MC or iPods offer, where the playback software uses the metadata created by the LAME encoder to remove the EXACT amount of silence that was added during encoding.

Thanks,

Larry

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2008, 06:06:57 pm »

The iPod wasn't Apple's first iProduct.  The original iMac was introduced in 1998, the iBook was introduced in 1999.

Just a warning.... I know of 4 people at my office who have iPaqs.  ALL of them are very disappointed with them.  I don't know of more details on them than that, but all of them have come to me asking questions... To which I replied, I don't know, I got an iPhone, so I can't help really.  To which each of them independently replied... "I wish I had."

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2008, 06:27:36 pm »

The iPod wasn't Apple's first iProduct.  The original iMac was introduced in 1998, the iBook was introduced in 1999.
Ibuprofin was patented in 1961.

The I. Magnin department store first opened in 1876.

Eve first introduced the Apple to Adam in something (a long time before Woz met His Steveness).

I hope Steve isn't considering going on to a new letter for his NeXT pod.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2008, 07:14:22 pm »

Jim... focus... Media Center questions...

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2008, 07:19:08 pm »

Just a warning.... I know of 4 people at my office who have iPaqs.  ALL of them are very disappointed with them.

Any specifics about what the complaints were about?  The only thing I really "need" this for is media playback, primarily audio.  Everything else is just gravy.  If they were disappointed with the headphone amp or if they were crashing all the time when playing audio, THIS would be important to know.

That said, any other "non-apple" products along these lines that may work?  The iPhone is not compatible with MC, and even if a plugin makes it work at some point, there will always be a fight to keep it working as apple releases new firmware.

Thanks,

Larry

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2008, 12:47:44 am »

I don't have all the details, because I didn't take much time to figure it out (since I wasn't really experienced enough with it to help them) but I think most of the complaints were about sync problems (ActiveSync mostly).

I don't think many of them were trying to use them in the same way as you at all.  They were primarily business devices (email, calendaring, etc). 

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2008, 12:53:58 am »

Ibuprofin was patented in 1961.

The I. Magnin department store first opened in 1876.

I am well aware that there were words starting with the letter "i" well before Apple started using them.  I was only pointing out that the iPaq clearly wasn't "first" in this regard, and that Apple clearly wasn't "ripping off" of HP or Compaq or Digital or whatever they were called at that particular point in time.  The iPaq name was pretty clearly an attempt to play off of the Apple iMac name, just like Linksys's use of the iPhone name (before Apple used it) was clearly a "jump on the iBandwagon" move as well.   ;)  ;D

Not that there's anything wrong with that. 

raldo

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2008, 10:09:58 am »

[...]
I've been reading some disturbing comments on some of the Pocket PC playback software, including "Pocket Player," that say that these don't do "true" gapless playback of mp3s, but rather that they do some sort of "pseudo-gapless" playback like short crossfading. 
Do you know anything about this? 
[...]

Well, there  is some talk about this in their forums (http://conduits.com./community/forum_posts.asp?TID=1401&KW=gapless)

Other than that, ActiveSync and Push/Pop mail has been working almost without snags for me. There was a sync problem previously, but that *seems* to have been fixed on the JRiver side (there is no mention on any related fix in the build pages, but it's ok now).
Pages: [1]   Go Up