INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Large Library Crashing - Doesn't happen in 12  (Read 2845 times)

skarsol

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Large Library Crashing - Doesn't happen in 12
« on: December 18, 2008, 03:09:38 pm »

I've been using MC13 for about a month now and this issue has been occuring since I started (and includes the current .91 version). If I load just a portion of my way too large library (say around 7000 songs) I will get infrequent MC crashes if I load them all into Playing Now and then browse them or similar. I can crash it every time by asking it to analyze the whole library (At the machine I'm at right now, the window comes up with ~2700 files queued and then MC crashes at 2% into the first queued file if I have it set to do 2 files at a time. If it's set for 1 file at a time it crashes right after finishing the first file). This occurs on both my Vista work PC and my XP home PC.

MC 12 has no problem holding all my songs in a single library at once and performing operations on all of them.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Large Library Crashing - Doesn't happen in 12
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 03:12:50 pm »

There's probably a "bad" file somewhere in your library.

Please send a log showing the crash to matt at jriver dot com (Help > Logging > Email logs) and we'll get it figured out.

Thanks!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

skarsol

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 03:22:56 pm »

Email sent, but I don't think a bad file is the issue. Like I said, it occurs both at home and at work, and work typically has a random subset of the home library. Additionally, I just deleted the album containing the file that showed up in the log and the error repeated itself, just with a new song path in the log file instead of the one I deleted. The song itself plays fine.

I can send a similar log file from home later which I'm virtually positive will show a diff track if so desired. Also, like I said, I can do it fine in 12. I've been having to do all my tagging in 12 then go back to 13 to try it out with just playback.

(Just tried .93 and it still happens)

skarsol

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 08:40:56 am »

This still happens in .100. Just tried it again and now it's bailing out with yet another different mp3 file in the log. You guys never responded to my most recent email so I don't know if I should send in more logs or not?

I went and analyzed just the folder that showed up in the most recent crash log and it analyzed fine. It only occurs when I try to analyze everything.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 09:38:41 am »

This still happens in .100. Just tried it again and now it's bailing out with yet another different mp3 file in the log. You guys never responded to my most recent email so I don't know if I should send in more logs or not?

I went and analyzed just the folder that showed up in the most recent crash log and it analyzed fine. It only occurs when I try to analyze everything.
Are you also playing while you're analyzing?  Anything non-standard?

skarsol

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 09:56:59 am »

I probably was the first time. Now I just fire it up, click Audio, ctrl-A in the album cover area to select everything, then do analyze audio and watch it crash. I can send you more logs of the whole process but I don't see any major differences from the ones I already sent other than which file gets listed before the crash.

I do have MC12 installed concurrently on this machine, but the exact same issue appears on my media box at home which only has MC13 on it (although I havent upgraded that one to .100 yet).

skarsol

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 09:16:25 am »

I dunno if this is related or not, but I noticed that if I try to import a folder containing more than 10000 items (even if they're all in artist/album subfolders) it will only register/import 10000 of them and if I try to import the folder a 2nd time, it attempts those same 10000 instead of moving on to the ones it didn't get last time. I had to divide everything up into alpha subfolders then import each subfolder seperatly.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 09:24:53 am »

I dunno if this is related or not, but I noticed that if I try to import a folder containing more than 10000 items (even if they're all in artist/album subfolders) it will only register/import 10000 of them and if I try to import the folder a 2nd time, it attempts those same 10000 instead of moving on to the ones it didn't get last time. I had to divide everything up into alpha subfolders then import each subfolder seperatly.
For memory management reasons, MC does 10,000 at a time.  Just let it run.

skarsol

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 09:48:40 am »

I coulda sworn I let it run the second time and it found 0 new files, but I'll try again tonight, thanks. (It would be nice if it said something about what it was doing instead of just saying there were only 10k files though)

In re the original issue, based on comments in http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=49835.0 I cleared the library here at work, set auto-import to analyze files, and told it to re-auto-import everything. It found the same number of files still needing analysis (2530 out of ~7000) and it's analyzing them just fine. So it's definatly an issue with manually asking for an analysis. I concur with the other poster that the line between functioning properly and crashing is around 250 files.

Any other testing you want me to do, just ask.

skarsol

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 09:53:05 am »

This still occurs in .112 and is trivially reproducible on multiple machines with any random selection of mp3s. Since I havent gotten any replies on this in awhile, should I just assume that since there is a (obnoxious) workaround, it isn't on the radar?

Same errors as before:
0018921: 1696: General: TopLevelExceptionFilter: Unhandled exception -- program crashing
0018921: 1696: General: TopLevelExceptionFilter: Message: 0, wParam: 0, lParam: 0, Window class:

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 09:57:59 am »

Could you send one of the MP3 files that causes a crash to matt at jriver dot com?

This isn't a common problem, so I'm wondering if there's something special about your files.

Thanks.

skarsol

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 09:59:47 am »

*sigh* Sure, but it happens on all of them. Each time I test it I delete the offending file (actually, the whole album) just to make sure and run it again. It happens on any arbitrary group of mp3s over 300 or so. I'll send you a couple.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 09:59:56 am »

It may be a bad DirectShow filter for a file other than the MP3 files.

Try importing single filetypes to see if you can find out which one causes the problem.  

Or import single folders, one at a time.  

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 10:01:44 am »

Also, disable any other software that you're using with MC.

Please copy your system info from MC Help and paste it here.

You could skip the *sigh* remarks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 10:03:46 am »

I'll send you a couple.

Thanks.

Like I said, it's not happening widely, so something is different.  It would help to take a close look at the file's tags in case there's a tag engine problem.

skarsol

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 10:12:43 am »

Sorry for the sigh, it's just a little frustrating when you guys ask me for the same things I've sent before. :)

Anyway, I sent 3 MP3s. All 3 crashed. After they crashed, I analyzed each one in a group a 10, they analyzed fine, and then I deleted them from the library. Running a full analyze again results in a new file causing the crash, repeated the process.

I will go through and analyze each artist individually now for the entire current library just to make sure there's no evil file lurking, but in order to run my tests today I actually took all analyzed files (from using the workaround in the other thread) and just deleted the Replay Gain/BPM tags in order to make them analyze again, so I don't expect any issues.

MC Help from my work PC: (No access to home one from here, but it occurs on that one also, and it's running XP)
Media Center 13.0.112 Registered -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 13\

Microsoft Windows Vista 6.0 Service Pack 1 (Build 6001)
Intel Core 2 1799 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 2095 MB, Free - 859 MB

Internet Explorer: 7.0.6001.18000 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.6001 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.6001 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.6001 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive F:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive F: TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182D   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices:

Device info dump for 'Apple iPod Classic (E:)':

WMDMName: XXXX'S IPOD (E:)
DeviceUID: $$?$wpdbusenumroot#umb#2&37c186b&2&storage#volume#1&19f7e59c&0&_??_usbstor#disk&ven_apple&prod_ipod&rev_1.62#000a2700137fb7fb&0##{f33fdc04-d1ac-4e8e-9a30-19bbd4b108ae}$0
CanonicalName: \\?\wpdbusenumroot#umb#2&37c186b&2&storage#volume#1&19f7e59c&0&_??_usbstor#disk&ven_apple&prod_ipod&rev_1.62#000a2700137fb7fb&0##{f33fdc04-d1ac-4e8e-9a30-19bbd4b108ae}$0
VendorName: ; VendorID: 1452
ProductID: 4705; FirmwareVersion: 1.62
WMDMSerialNumber: 384d383337514256324337
WMDMWriteOurOwnPlaylists:
DeviceType: 3; DeviceID: 000A2700137FB7FB&AAPL0; DeviceName: Apple iPod; UnsupportedDevice: 0
IsDrive: 1; DriveLetter: E:; DrivePath: ; MainDriveLetter: E:
IsJanusCapable: ; IsIpod: 1;iTunesDBVersion: 36
SupportsAlbumArt: 1; AlbumArtEnabled: 1; CoverArtTagRule: ; SaveCoverArtToFolderJPG:
GetPlayStatsFromDevice: 0; SupportsFolders: -1; PlaylistFormat: 0; EjectMode: ; AlwaysPumpCOMMessages: 0
SupportedFileTypes: mp3;wav;mp4;aa;m4a;m4b;m4p;aiff;aif;bmp;jpg;jpeg;gif;tif;tiff;png;sgi;psd;mov;m4v
ContextMenus: Delete
MemoryTypes: Internal Memory
InstallURL:
ApplicationName: Media Center
ImageName: Apple iPod Classic (silver)
RootBasePath:
AudioBasePath: E:\iPod_Control\Music
ImageBasePath: Photos
VideoBasePath: E:\iPod_Control\Music
DataBasePath: Data\
PlaylistBasePath: ROOT\
DatabaseBasePath:
AudibleBasePath: Audible\
MatchKeyExpression: If(IsEqual([Media Type], Image), Clean([Name], 3)[File Size, 0], [Name]Clean([Artist], 2)[Album][Genre]TrackNumber()[Media Type])
ChangeKeyExpression: If(IsEqual([Media Type], Image), , [Rating][Composer])
ResyncIfDateModified: 1

Interface Plugins:
  last.fm (Active)
  Library Server (Active)
  TiVo Server (Active)
  UPnP Server (Active)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 10:34:50 am »

Anyway, I sent 3 MP3s.

No sign of them yet.  You could try using ZIP, RAR, 7z or some other trick like renaming to .txt in case your outgoing server doesn't like sending an mp3.

Thanks.

skarsol

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 10:42:39 am »

Yeah, I just noticed my outlook was choking on them. I'm trying to send through gmail now. (Edit: Gmail says they're sent)

I'm halfway through re-analysis of the whole library going one artist at a time, no hiccups yet.

You guys can't reproduce this at all on your comps (import 3000 songs, delete Replay Gain, manually tell it to analyze all of them)? I guess I can try doing a clean install on a 3rd computer tonight and see if that changes anything.

skarsol

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 11:11:44 am »

Okay, I re-analyzed the entire library by doing it in batches of less than 100 files at a time (by artist) and it finished without a hitch (this included the files that previously crashed).

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 11:19:04 am »

Thanks for doing that.  We're still thinking.

skarsol

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2009, 09:32:59 am »

This appears to be fixed in .115.

Actually, I just had a crash at 705/1115 similar how it used to, but it looks like that might have been a wonky file, so I'll keep testing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up