INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portable drive installation  (Read 1694 times)

cumbowt

Portable drive installation
« on: December 21, 2008, 10:41:09 pm »

Hello all,

I have installed a registered MC12 on a portable drive (which is where all the music and photos are located) from my laptop. Unfortunately, after reading many posts, I realized that I did not use the "portable" option, but I installed it and then used the restore option (I was in a hurry before we left for the Holidays...that's what I get for rushing!). Now, my wife has my laptop and I have the portable drive, but we are currently in different locations for the holidays.
I was assuming that I could use MC12 from my portable drive on my parents computer instead of installing it onto their computer, but an error message comes up stating "Media Center was not correctly installed for the current user."
I tried changing the drive letter on my parents computer to the same letter as on mine, but to no avail (I saw this on a post here). I have read the Wiki, "Portable Drive Installation" by Alex B., but the first point is troublesome: Create a cloned copy of your library with Library Manager. I can't even open the program to clone the library since my wife has my computer. So...

How can I fix this?
I won't have access to my computer for about 7 days from now.

Will I need to download MC12 again and reinstall and use another restore?
If so, will this allow me to use a custom install option for the portable drive?
Will this put files on my parents computer?
Is there an easier fix than reinstalling it?

Thanks for the help!

Tom C.

Acomdata 250mb portable hard drive.
MC12 installed from a Dell Inspiron 9300 w/ win xp
Parents computer:
Dell Dimension Desktop 2400 w/ win xp

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Portable drive installation
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 07:13:59 am »

Will I need to download MC12 again and reinstall and use another restore?
Yes.  That will install it on your parents' computer.

Portable install isn't working in the latest MC13 builds.  But an MC13 license works with MC12.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 09:04:01 am »

Tom,

The program install location is separate from the library location. If you did not specifically move or create also the library files on your portable drive they are now on the laptop and you have only the media files and the MC12 program files on your portable drive.

You could install the free Media Jukebox 12 on your parents' PC for playing music (it is much like MC12, but can play only audio files) and use some other viewer for showing the photos. I can recommend the free XnView viewer.

If your parents are interested in MC12 naturally you can show them how it works. You don't need to install your personal license. MC has the 30-day trial period.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 09:10:59 am »

Yes.  That will install it on your parents' computer.

Portable install isn't working in the latest MC13 builds.  But an MC13 license works with MC12.

Still working here with latest Beta build.  I test almost all of them as a portable install.
Pages: [1]   Go Up